Baby Jesus and Christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 01:18 PM by TheMrBillShow.)
Baby Jesus and Christmas
Yesterday, my 5-year old son was at the kitchen table playing with his Legos and singing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." Moved by the cuteness of this scene, my wife posted it as her status on Facebook. A few minutes later, my extremely Catholic Mother-in-law sent her an IM saying that while she liked my wife's status, she was disappointed that my son doesn't know about Baby Jesus.

Now, my wife would consider herself a Christian only in the very loosest sense you can imagine. She's more of a deist, it seems to me, with a very light sprinkling of Christian theology. She never goes to church and I've never seen her with a bible. I've never seen or heard her pray. It would also be fair to say that I largely shared her view when we got married but have evolved into my current state of non-belief as the result of the reading and studying I've done since then.

As it comes to our son, I'm of a mind to treat the question of religion like I would the "Where do babies come from?" question. I figure a kid is ready for an answer appropriate to their age and developmental level when they can ask the question.

My mother-in-law and to a lesser extent, my wife feels that my son is "missing out" on not hearing the holiday-related religious stories. I don't know if I have that much of a problem with that- provided that they are meant as "stories," rather than as truth. I don't know.

Part of me resents the living shit out of my mother-in-law for even bringing this up. There's a scene of an innocent little 5-year old boy playing and singing a song, and she has to go and fuck it up by interjecting her backward-assed mythology. He's FIVE, for fuck's sake.

I'm not entirely sure how to handle this. I loathe confrontation and want there to be peace within the family. I don't know how much harm (if any) could come from bible "stories," but if they come from people who think they're more than "stories," that might be trouble.

Mostly I'm glad to get this off my chest. Thanks.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2015, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 01:31 PM by Brian37.)
RE: Baby Jesus and Christmas
Ugggggggg....... I am formerly Catholic, my mom still is, but really not in a fundy way, but in a socially liberal "hedge your bets" way "just in case". She is actually very open to listening to my counter arguments to all god claims.

Bottom line, science has proven that it takes TWO sets of DNA to manifest into a new life. It kinda blows away the story of a girl getting knocked up with invisible "Holy Ghost's invisible goo".

Christians ignorance of biological science however, is not a patent owned or invented by them. Humans worldwide have all sorts of antiquated gap answers as to how we got here. The reason the Jesus story exists is the same reason the Mohammed story exists and even the Buddha story exists. Everyone loves a success story. Everyone loves an underdog story. Everyone loves an "Epiphany" story.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Baby Jesus and Christmas
I feel for ya there. I don't know what advice I could give you. But I understand where you're coming from.
14-12-2015, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 07:10 PM by Stevil.)
(14-12-2015 01:07 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  A few minutes later, my extremely Catholic Mother-in-law sent her an IM saying that while she liked my wife's status, she was disappointed that my son doesn't know about Baby Jesus.
I've pretty much immunised my eldest daughter (just turned 7) from religion.
I don't mind if other people try to approach her and enlighten her with the Good News.

She doesn't believe in magic. She is of the impression that if the story involves magic then it isn't real.
I've also introduced her to the idea of looking for evidence.
I lie to her every now and then. She asks me if I am making popcorn, I respond "No, I am not!". She says that she doesn't believe me, tells me I am lying. I ask her why she thinks that, she says because she can see a bag of popcorn in my hands and that I am standing by the oven and have a pot on it. I then give her a hug and tell her that people sometimes lie but the evidence doesn't.
When she was 5 she was telling me that ghosts are real. I asked her how she knows. She said because they can float. I asked her if she had ever seen one float, she said "No", I asked "so how do you know they are real?". She said "because I'm smart". I said "Yes you are smart but how come you know ghosts are real?", She said "because they float above the window", I asked "Have you ever seen them float above the window?" She said "No!", I asked again, "How do you know ghosts are real?", She said again "Because I am smart". I again said "Yes you are smart but how do you know ghosts are real?"....

I've also demonstrated to her how I can know that air exists even though I can't see it. I sealed the opening to a plastic see through bag and asked her to make the bag flat, she tried but couldn't. I then sucked out the air and resealed the bag. I asked her why the bag is now flat. I then explained because it doesn't have any air in it. She had a play with the bag, filling it with air, emptying air from it. I then asked her whether we could fill the bag with god and test if god were in it. She laughed and shook her head.

I've also covered the topic of death with her. She asked where we go. I said we lie still on the ground. I showed her a dead insect, asked her if it was going to wake up and walk around. She shook her head.

I pity some poor sap that tries to tell my girl that Jesus died for three days and then got up and walked around.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
14-12-2015, 07:03 PM
When raising my kids and the topic of religion came up...we were in the south and they were surrounded by kids who were raised in religion...I started most responses with 'Some people believe...'.

As for the current situation you are facing...I would brush it off. Let your child enjoy Christmas - the Santa kind - if he asks, talk to him...it's not up to Granny to parent him. He has parents for that.

He is innocently enjoying what can be a fun time of year and he is at the perfect age for it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat