Baby born without a brain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Baby born without a brain
I just saw this video a few days ago and felt that it was worth being shared with the community:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMlVNFpzKNI

Now, as stunning as it may seem that modern science has been able to keep this baby alive, I think that there is no use in doing so. From what I've understood, it is unable to see, hear or even think. It doesn't have any self consciousness and will never be able to develop one. It will never have any thoughts, memories or experiences. It would probably be best to let it die as nature intended it do be.

What are your views on this? Discuss!

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2012, 01:44 PM
RE: Baby born without a brain
$10 says this kid has Sarah Palin in the family tree. Laughat Laughat Laughat

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
14-05-2012, 01:55 PM
If I were the parent I would pull the plug. I can't speak for the real parents.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
14-05-2012, 02:16 PM
I agree with GT.

As sad as it would be to let my child die, there wouldn't be any point in drawing it out. The kid would never live. Just be a potato. The cost would be enormous and there would be no real benefit to the parents or the child.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2012, 02:23 PM
(14-05-2012 02:16 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I agree with GT.

As sad as it would be to let my child die, there wouldn't be any point in drawing it out. The kid would never live. Just be a potato. The cost would be enormous and there would be no real benefit to the parents or the child.
Then I would take the child home in a jar and let my daughter and wife cuddle it.

not srs

no Santorum

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
14-05-2012, 03:11 PM
It's called anencephaly. It happens more than you'd think. Fortunately most families, and hospitals do not allow things to get this out of hand. We need Debzilla to weigh in here with her thoughts, and experience.

http://www.ascensionhealth.org/index.php...Itemid=172

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

14-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Even I (who wouldn't want a woman I'm with to have an abortion, despite me believing women should be allowed to), would have said "go ahead" if a woman I was with had a child with that problem and it was discovered in the womb. Likewise, if the child was born and then discovered, and needed machines/etc for a while, I won't say I wouldn't hesitate.... but basically wouldn't prolong it at all. There is no life there, just a shell that's maintained by modern medicine and the bare minimum for a living creature.

That sounds quite harsh I'm sure... although I don't mean it as such. I view it more as a mercy killing/whatever. For that matter, the "baby" is probably less alive by human standards than the food many eat. ok, THAT is harsh... but still, never mind.... I should probably just stop comparisons now. But you get my point. If it can't see, hear, think, it also can't talk, be aware, and only has abilities that people read into it.... well... it might look like a human, but that's about it.
14-05-2012, 03:18 PM
(14-05-2012 03:13 PM)elemts Wrote:  Even I (who wouldn't want a woman I'm with to have an abortion, despite me believing women should be allowed to), would have said "go ahead" if a woman I was with had a child with that problem and it was discovered in the womb. Likewise, if the child was born and then discovered, and needed machines/etc for a while, I won't say I wouldn't hesitate.... but basically wouldn't prolong it at all. There is no life there, just a shell that's maintained by modern medicine and the bare minimum for a living creature.

That sounds quite harsh I'm sure... although I don't mean it as such. I view it more as a mercy killing/whatever. For that matter, the "baby" is probably less alive by human standards than the food many eat. ok, THAT is harsh... but still, never mind.... I should probably just stop comparisons now. But you get my point. If it can't see, hear, think, it also can't talk, be aware, and only has abilities that people read into it.... well... it might look like a human, but that's about it.
It's not harsh. It's the rational thing to do. Since the child can feel nothing it's not even a humane issue. Why burden you, your family, and potentially society (financially) to 'raise' a child that will never experience anything? That's why we live. Without experiences a life means nothing.

But I'm a silly existentialist heathen. Smile

-Mark Twain
14-05-2012, 03:55 PM
The baby is not literally without brain. It has some mass (not lots) and a brain stem for the basic reflexes.
But I aggree with germanyt, I as a parent, would pull the plug.
It would hurt first but what qualitiy of life is that for the child and the parents? All the pains, and the operations, so much worry, the child will never get on it's own feet and start a life, and sorry to mention that, the costs for are immense. And it is not like there will be a proper brain growing soon, not to be expected at all...

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I've debated on a similar subject before in my Philosophy class. There was another story like this where a child without a brain survived for a week. The debate was on whether or not we consider this to be a human deserving to be kept alive at all costs.

The main point of my argument was that if you're going to compare a baby with only a brain stem (basic motor reflexes) to being "human", then why not consider living organisms such as the tree outside a human?

I offended a lot of people needless to say. But my point was heard and no one had a rebuttal.

That was the harsh end to my point, but it is what it is. I find it morally repulsive that families keep these poor babies alive. They do not have brains. What is the point of this? It would hurt me more to see a vessel that was intended to be my child live and grow without a brain. I would cry every single minute of my life.

I WOULD NEVER allow this. I would let this vessel go as much as it would cause me pain because it would be inhumane to keep the baby alive under these circumstances.

Let's face the music... if this were a dog, we'd all jump to the choice of pulling the plug. This is not a case of a baby born with a mental handicap. There is no brain to be handicap. It is by definition a vessel of what was to be human. Yes, it sucks that the baby looks human, but the facts show that it only appears so.

This is a disgrace.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post