Baby born without a brain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2012, 06:11 PM
RE: Baby born without a brain
I watched the video and was amazed and saddened at the same time.
As much sympathy and empathy as I have for children I also do not understand the utility of keeping this poor child alive with a basket full of pharmaceuticals.

He can't see or hear yet seems to tell who is holding him which is not a great feat in and of itself.
However, as strong as this child is, it is also apparent that the body simply cannot hold its own for long as it stands. The child is a living vegetable and I hate to say this but keeping him alive in this vegetative state is nothing but a financial drain for all involved plus it is a burden on the child's obviously struggling body.

I feel for the family, really I do. I would find it hard, if I gave birth to a child like that to simply turn my back on him. I have never been a mother nor do I ever want to be but it would tear me apart to have to make the ultimate decision.

I can only hope the poor child passes on in peace during sleep.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2012, 07:11 PM
(16-05-2012 06:11 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  ....
He can't see or hear yet seems to tell who is holding him which is not a great feat in and of itself.
I would like proof of this actually.... the whole "who" it is may just be an automatic survival type of thing related to feel that the two may hold the child differently than others. Basically, it may not be "who" as much as "comfort". Plus once you toss in people thinking of non-human creatures having emotions and responses as we do.... it may be more of a "the women hold the child hoping" (good will happen) whereas the others "hold the child knowing" (the child would be better off dead/not a blessing).
16-05-2012, 07:26 PM
(16-05-2012 07:11 PM)elemts Wrote:  Plus once you toss in people thinking of non-human creatures having emotions and responses as we do....
Maybe I am misinterpreting here but were you referring to the baby as "non" human?
At any rate, the baby's reflexes are just a byproduct of the activity of the brain stem and sadly it is nothing more.
Again, I hate to say this but this child is not going to have any sort of life that can be considered "quality".
Sad thing for all involved.

16-05-2012, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2012 08:48 PM by elemts.)
(16-05-2012 07:26 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  
(16-05-2012 07:11 PM)elemts Wrote:  Plus once you toss in people thinking of non-human creatures having emotions and responses as we do....
Maybe I am misinterpreting here but were you referring to the baby as "non" human?
At any rate, the baby's reflexes are just a byproduct of the activity of the brain stem and sadly it is nothing more.
Again, I hate to say this but this child is not going to have any sort of life that can be considered "quality".
Sad thing for all involved.
Oh no, I was meaning how we apply emotions/etc to dogs, plants, Paramecium, etc--even though they don't (that we know of) have any possibility of the emotions we think they do.
So with the baby, being human, we could potentially do the same thing--think that responses are something other than they really are.
17-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Ah..ok. Sorry, my bad.

Of course human emotion is not the only form of it either but I do see what you mean about how we apply human thinking and human emotions to animals.

I am just curious if the mother ever went in for even a single ultrasound because if she had I am sure that it would have revealed the situation.

18-05-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't see what the big fuss is about. Theists don't have brains either.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post