Back at A.A.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Back at A.A.
After many early years of lust, alcoholism, misery,acute,risk, and insanity I am back at A.A. As a blamer, dysfunctional upbringing etc, I justified gross behaviour on the 'blame principle' thus occupying a twilight zone.
Some 20 years ago after a .19 conviction, almost losing my job and ultra high on booze and benzos I opted for 5 weeks in d/tox and an introduction to A.A.
I hung around for a while, didn't like it (also Narcanon) and eventually decided "moderate drinking" was the very viable option which it partially was to be.

Anyhow I'm back with A.A., their higher power,diverse groups and attitudes along with my desire to remain sober, based on my past misadventures. Higher Power is a notion that does not faze me out. I cannot prove that I am a one off result of evolution and I think that a meta physical idealism (as opposed to being taught a lot of stuff by rote is a worthwhile choice. I may even join a church, tolerating what I see as crap while seeking that which may be meaningful.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2013, 04:30 PM
RE: Back at A.A.
(14-04-2013 04:24 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  After many early years of lust, alcoholism, misery,acute,risk, and insanity I am back at A.A. As a blamer, dysfunctional upbringing etc, I justified gross behaviour on the 'blame principle' thus occupying a twilight zone.
Some 20 years ago after a .19 conviction, almost losing my job and ultra high on booze and benzos I opted for 5 weeks in d/tox and an introduction to A.A.
I hung around for a while, didn't like it (also Narcanon) and eventually decided "moderate drinking" was the very viable option which it partially was to be.

Anyhow I'm back with A.A., their higher power,diverse groups and attitudes along with my desire to remain sober, based on my past misadventures. Higher Power is a notion that does not faze me out. I cannot prove that I am a one off result of evolution and I think that a meta physical idealism (as opposed to being taught a lot of stuff by rote is a worthwhile choice. I may even join a church, tolerating what I see as crap while seeking that which may be meaningful.

Your higher power could be your group. No metaphysics required. Drinking Beverage

Works for me. Flex

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself Woof.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
14-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Yo, Dawg.
Metaphysics aside, I'm really glad to hear you're reaching out for support. Very few people can stop without it. That's why Chas' suggestion is a good one: your support will be the Power that aids you. But do what you need to do, mate, and show yourself that you can teach an old dog new tricks!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
14-04-2013, 09:28 PM
(14-04-2013 04:24 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  After many early years of lust, alcoholism, misery,acute,risk, and insanity I am back at A.A. As a blamer, dysfunctional upbringing etc, I justified gross behaviour on the 'blame principle' thus occupying a twilight zone.

Good for you! It works if you work it.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-04-2013, 10:36 AM
There are secular programs out there: SMART Recovery, SOS, Lifering, WFS, etc.

Whatever you choose, best wishes.
[+] 1 user Likes ChasA's post
24-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Quitters never win! Oh wait, wrong catchphrase. Uh, Good luck, Chuck? Eh, close enough. Big Grin Seriously though woof, best of luck, you can do it. I gots the confidence in ya' Thumbsup

24-04-2013, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2013 08:28 PM by fstratzero.)

A.A. has a lot of good ideas. Jim B(an atheist), wrote The Vicious Cycle story, and advocated for the vague higher power. So that way any body can participate. However there are also secular versions out there.

Also it's really weird that Bill W. the founder, met a guy who didn't believe in god and admired him.
http://agnostics20questions.blogspot.com...nkers.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Burwell
http://www.sossobriety.org/12steps.htm

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
24-04-2013, 09:07 PM
I might sound ignorant but why is a "high power" needed in A.A.?
Is there a psychological basis to use that concept when looking for support?

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
14-05-2013, 10:58 AM
In a nutshell, Bill Wilson, the founder of AA, saw God appear at the end of his bed when he was drying out in the hospital. AA was then made a 'spiritual' program; many problems are turned over to your Higher Power.

SMART Recovery, on the other hand, is based on Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, among other evidence-based approaches rather than using a spiritual basis, and thus requires no particular religious or spiritual viewpoint.
[+] 1 user Likes ChasA's post