Back from the Big Easy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2017, 10:28 PM
Back from the Big Easy
Well EA and I are returned from our New Orleans trip. Had a ton of fun ate some truly fantastic food and got to see a unique American city. We will post photos soonish.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-02-2017, 07:05 AM
RE: Back from the Big Easy
(09-02-2017 10:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well EA and I are returned from our New Orleans trip. Had a ton of fun ate some truly fantastic food and got to see a unique American city. We will post photos soonish.

How many beads you get?

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-02-2017, 10:06 PM
It was so nice in New Orleans. For the first time in my life, I feel like I've really been in a city. Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio... none of them really felt like what I'd imagined cities were like when I was a kid. Probably comes from being a kid raised in the sticks whose main exposure to what "the city" was was in the form of seeing shows set in NYC on TV. Blush

In New Orleans, the buildings rise up high all around you and you feel small and almost... safe in a weird way. Shy I get that feeling in East Texas surrounded by all the tall pines, but in New Orleans it was the urban version of that. Just this feeling of being nestled in between the buildings, tucked away. The streets are narrow too, and so they add to that feeling. Everything smelled so nice there, too - when the scent of delicious food wasn't in the air, there was a floral smell that permeated nearly everything.

The city was gorgeous at night, everything readied in preparation for Mardi Gras (I think we went at a perfect time, just before Mardi Gras when the city was ripe with anticipation for the big event). It had the same relaxed feeling that Austin had but unlike Austin, New Orleans just felt very... experienced. Like it'd seen and done everything and we were like children, wide-eyed and experiencing it all for the first time.

This sounds like shit and I'm not doing the city justice. We were only there for a few days, but the place we stayed was awesome. We stayed in a bed and breakfast in Treme, just blocks away from the French Quarter. I'm so glad Rev picked it because being there was almost like we were living in New Orleans. We went around to the back of the building to access our room and all of it - the creaking wood floors, the decor, the colors of the room... it was perfect.

New Orleans was everything I could have hoped for. The city didn't lie about who she was - there is something very honest and gritty and real about the Big Easy. I definitely think we should stay a bit longer the next time we go. I'm in love. Heart

This was a perfect first vacation with my very favorite person in the world. Big Grin

[+] 8 users Like Escape Artist's post
13-02-2017, 10:09 PM
The last two long bike trips I took - the destination was New Orleans... (sorta a halfassed homage to Easy Rider..... That and my best friend lives in Gonzales now.... )

Somehow -- I always ended up somewhere else.......

The bike had other plans, I guess...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-02-2017, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 10:30 PM by TheGulegon.)
Next time leave the kids with Grandma! Wink

[Edit] My bad... y'all DID leave the kids behind! You did the Big Easy, right, then. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
13-02-2017, 10:28 PM
aww you guys are cute.

Glad you had fun. The man and the mannish boy are going there next month, second trip for the mannish one and fifth for the man -- he loves that city. If it weren't for the weather he'd totally be down with living there.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-02-2017, 10:33 PM
(13-02-2017 10:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  aww you guys are cute.

Glad you had fun. The man and the mannish boy are going there next month, second trip for the mannish one and fifth for the man -- he loves that city. If it weren't for the weather he'd totally be down with living there.

Yeah, it was definitely humid there. Smile We honestly had really nice weather, but it was a tad more humidity than I'm used to here in Texxassss. My hair was not happy. Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
13-02-2017, 10:34 PM
Hope you saw my "try the Lafayette boudin" message in time!

New Orleans is a great city before Mardi Gras... if you really want to enjoy a holiday there with all the same crazy floats, parades, costumes, food, etc., I recommend going there at Halloween.

Mardi Gras is a tourist-trap and thief nightmare. You're going to get ripped off, either way.

Halloween is where the locals celebrate in grand style. It's worth going just to see all the 6'5" drag queens in 6" heels and three-foot-tall back-feathers Carnivale-type costumes, alone!

ETA: Can't wait to see the pictures, either. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
13-02-2017, 10:38 PM
It's so strange to hear a different perspective from those that come and visit.

I took the family to Nola on Sunday to go to the aquarium. It was just a quick trip down the interstate for us, but it was an actual vacation for y'all.

I'm glad y'all had fun. Nola is an experience, and I think everyone should visit.

But...
I hate New Orleans. It stinks. It's dirty. It's crowded. Traffic sucks. Streets are named differently depending on the direction you're going.

I don't know... maybe it's because it's so close to home and I've been there so many times.

I just don't enjoy going there. I know I'm in the minority here because I have never really heard many others share my opinion. I may be spoiled too... BR is like the upgraded version of NO.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
13-02-2017, 10:45 PM
(13-02-2017 10:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's so strange to hear a different perspective from those that come and visit.

I took the family to Nola on Sunday to go to the aquarium. It was just a quick trip down the interstate for us, but it was an actual vacation for y'all.

I'm glad y'all had fun. Nola is an experience, and I think everyone should visit.

But...
I hate New Orleans. It stinks. It's dirty. It's crowded. Traffic sucks. Streets are named differently depending on the direction you're going.

I don't know... maybe it's because it's so close to home and I've been there so many times.

I just don't enjoy going there. I know I'm in the minority here because I have never really heard many others share my opinion. I may be spoiled too... BR is like the upgraded version of NO.

It makes sense that you'd probably have a different view of it since you've been there a lot. Smile

But then, a lot of people think Waco is shit but I actually really like it, so maybe I am the weird one. Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post