Back from the dead after 45 minutes?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
23-08-2013, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2013 07:26 AM by DeavonReye.)
Back from the dead after 45 minutes?
There is a story of a guy who came back to life after being "coded for 45 mintues". But later showed signs of life. His family is calling it "a miracle" and that "only god [theirs] could do this". Cardiologist calls it "beyond rare" and that "no other collegues have seen this".

Has anyone seen this story? If you need reference, I can point you to the story on theBlaze.com if anyone wants more on this. Theists [on that site] are calling for "atheists to explain this".

A few points:
The guy who died never had any heart trouble to explain this. His wife woke up in the middle of the night, saw her husband breathing funny, checked his pulse [which wasn't there], did CPR, called 911, they got him to hospital, . . . cardiac section, no blocks, doctors didn't know what happened. Later he deteriorated and died. They worked on him for 45 minutes. His son said "something came in me and I pointed at him and said, 'dad, you're not going to die today', and soon after his dad had a heartbeat".

Pics showed him on an oxygen tube.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 07:28 AM
RE: Back from the dead after 45 minutes?
Firstly, the afterlife must be boring as fuck if it only took him 45minutes to return.

Second, doctors, paramedics, whoever mistake people for being dead all the time, well not all the time but I've watched enough TV to know it occurs at somewhat regular frequency.
In other words, he was probably just in a state where his heart was beating very slowly and thus made it hard to detect to someone checking his pulse or some shit like that. aka: he wasn't dead.

Of course, religious nuts are gonna believe anything. I mean clearly this man is so fucking special that he of all people warranted a return from the grave at God's hands for the first time since Jesus....

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
23-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Playing "devil's advocate" here. . . . .

The cardiologist pronounced him dead. I suppose he COULD have been mistaken, but saying that to a theist wouldn't fly.

Now, I don't know if they actively WORKED on him for 45 minutes, to no avail, . . . or if they left him laying for 45 minutes AFTER pronouncing him dead.
23-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Yea but here's the thing, it doesn't matter if it fly's with theists or not...
It's by far the most likely situation...
Sure, they could argue it was God, though even by theism standards that argument is flawed, but I could argue he wasn't dead to begin with.
Considering this isn't an isolated case of this, it's happened many times before, my argument is stronger.

A theist can choose to ignore the obvious and that's their business, doesn't make them right and it doesn't mean it's my duty to force them to accept the most probably solution.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
23-08-2013, 07:58 AM
I agree with that. Just hoping someone has heard this story and had some different information than what theBlaze.com included in their story. . . . . biases and such.
23-08-2013, 08:03 AM
(23-08-2013 07:39 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Playing "devil's advocate" here. . . . .

The cardiologist pronounced him dead. I suppose he COULD have been mistaken, but saying that to a theist wouldn't fly.

Now, I don't know if they actively WORKED on him for 45 minutes, to no avail, . . . or if they left him laying for 45 minutes AFTER pronouncing him dead.

From what I understood they worked on him for 45 minutes and shortly after they declared him dead they found a heartbeat. After the son walked up and ordered him to live.

I think we should keep an eye on the son....he seems to be a threat to our atheist movement. Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Are you sure this guy wasn't Lindsay Lohan?
23-08-2013, 09:04 AM
(23-08-2013 08:03 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 07:39 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Playing "devil's advocate" here. . . . .

From what I understood they worked on him for 45 minutes and shortly after they declared him dead they found a heartbeat. After the son walked up and ordered him to live.

I think we should keep an eye on the son....he seems to be a threat to our atheist movement. Dodgy

That's the thing. It SOUNDS like they worked on him for 45 minutes. The guy made a comment how "it was amazing that he didn't suffer brain damage due to lack of oxygen", . . . but that may have been due to what the doctors were doing [and not being there, I have no idea what they WERE doing].
23-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I just caught the very end of this news when I turned on the TV. Apparently the son was the one who would not give up trying to revive him. Don't hold me to it though, I missed 90% of the news bite. The son is the one who says god dunnit.

I can imagine that there may be some hairline border state that looks dead but is revivable.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-08-2013, 09:59 AM
What Muff's said. Presumably Dad came back with a message of peace for the world ? Or a message of "You guys are FUCKED now"...

And ja, still same old, even if Jimmy did come back from the dead, what evidence for fancy-pants God ? Is evidence that we know shit about anatomy more like, rather than supernatural super-shy deity who only shows himself either by killing thousands of people or healing people singly in dubious circumstances.