Back from the dead after 45 minutes?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
23-08-2013, 10:00 AM
RE: Back from the dead after 45 minutes?
I think the "miracle" in the whole deal is that he didn't suffer any obvious brain damage from oxygen deprivation. His heart had slowed to one or two beats a minute for quite a time

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Not knowing anything about this story except what has been posted in this thread, a red flag went up in my mind when I read that he was pronounced dead and the doctor's worked on him for 45 more minutes. After 5-10 minutes, there is almost no chance the person would be revived and, even if they were revived, there would be great risk of serious organ damage after that time. After 20-30 minutes, there would be no point in reviving the person unless the family would be happy with a "vegetable" at best. So why would doctors even continue working on him for 45 minutes? Something is wrong with that claim. And, when one fact is off, it throws the whole story into question.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
24-08-2013, 02:31 PM
^I haven't heard about it except in this thread either, but here are my thoughts, anyway:

Just because a person isn't showing much in the way of vital signs doesn't mean they're dead, as others have stated. As for the time periods when you get brain damage, it's been stated that they were "working on him" the whole time. The whole point of things like CPR is to get some oxygen to the brain to help prevent brain death/damage. So if doctors were there with oxygen and shit, I imagine they could have been oxygen in the brain.

But I agree that something about the story sounds a bit off.

I think one problem is that they are stating he was DEAD for 45 minutes, rather than "in a serious condition, low vital signs" for 45 minutes, because the latter seems more likely to me. Another problem is people don't know the details so they automatically assume "miracle."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2013, 03:21 PM
I haven't seen the story an have no interest in it! these stories are a dime a HUNDRED! I can tell you one right now! And swear it's true! If I worked hard enough, I could make it appear on T.V. If I got enough T.V. time, someone might write a book! We might partner up and go on tour.

Here's my tale, and I beg you to listen and understand!:

It was a dark and stormy night! I was late for work. My car wouldn't start and the only mode of transportation I had, was my daughters tricycle! So, I grabbed that and started the 75 mile journey! I had traveled 36 miles, through deep, wooded territory. Wheels spinning, muscular legs leading me toward McDonald's parking lot, when I spotted a "q" shaped object drifting below the moon, a little to the left! Suddenly I was surrounded by, what looked like "Twinkies"! But they couldn't have been "Twinkies". Because "Hostess" was in the midst their own act of terrorism. The "Twinkie" was a thing of the past and the world dug mass graves for the lost!

Those of you who want to really understand this stuff, could go to my website, after I build it. and buy helpful stuff.

In the mean time: I think I'll fire up, another!

Glad I could help!
24-08-2013, 03:23 PM
this guy suffered two massive heart attacks. he died not just once, but twice! During the time he was dead, he was able to see heaven, meet Jesus, and review his life. His profound experience changed him so much that coming back to life was almost painful! this is why I am glad I'm not stupid enough to believe this shit. Thank goodness I'm an Atheist Smile

Read more at http://wewalkwithjesus.org/man-dies-twic...l2ha7H2.01

24-08-2013, 09:39 PM
(23-08-2013 07:20 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  There is a story of a guy who came back to life after being "coded for 45 mintues". But later showed signs of life. His family is calling it "a miracle" and that "only god [theirs] could do this". Cardiologist calls it "beyond rare" and that "no other collegues have seen this".

Has anyone seen this story? If you need reference, I can point you to the story on theBlaze.com if anyone wants more on this. Theists [on that site] are calling for "atheists to explain this".

A few points:
The guy who died never had any heart trouble to explain this. His wife woke up in the middle of the night, saw her husband breathing funny, checked his pulse [which wasn't there], did CPR, called 911, they got him to hospital, . . . cardiac section, no blocks, doctors didn't know what happened. Later he deteriorated and died. They worked on him for 45 minutes. His son said "something came in me and I pointed at him and said, 'dad, you're not going to die today', and soon after his dad had a heartbeat".

Pics showed him on an oxygen tube.

You know, Jesus' conquest of death is supposed to be the single greatest event in human history, yet according to these guys, this shit happens every Tuesday.

"Jesus rose from the dead!"

"Whatever, so did some guy in Boise last week"

It's basically reducing the centerpiece of their faith to a joke.

I Will have My revenge on AlternateHistory.com, in this life or the next Evil_monster

~WrappedInShadows (AKA Me)
[+] 3 users Like TheLastEnemy's post
25-08-2013, 02:09 AM
I think they think it strengthens their position... as follows:

JC rose from Dead.

Prove it.

Bible.

Not evidence.

But you accept account of Caesar's wars.

Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. Anyway we can confirm Caesar with archaeology and other stuff.

Here's where they go: But random guy rose from dead last Tuesday.

Whut ?

Is NO EXTRAORDINARY. So I don't have to provide extraordinary evidence. JESUS ROSE FROM DEAD HALLELUJAH.

Ummm... OK I'm out.

VICTORY!
25-08-2013, 08:04 PM
(24-08-2013 02:31 PM)amyb Wrote:  ^I haven't heard about it except in this thread either, but here are my thoughts, anyway:

Just because a person isn't showing much in the way of vital signs doesn't mean they're dead, as others have stated. As for the time periods when you get brain damage, it's been stated that they were "working on him" the whole time. The whole point of things like CPR is to get some oxygen to the brain to help prevent brain death/damage. So if doctors were there with oxygen and shit, I imagine they could have been oxygen in the brain.

But I agree that something about the story sounds a bit off.

I think one problem is that they are stating he was DEAD for 45 minutes, rather than "in a serious condition, low vital signs" for 45 minutes, because the latter seems more likely to me. Another problem is people don't know the details so they automatically assume "miracle."

I agree. My understanding is that doing CPR gets oxygen flowing to the brain and other vital organs, especially the chest compressions. People I know who have recently taken CPR classes are being told to do more chest compressions that breaths. I think it's 20 compressions to 2 breaths. I'm not sure about the number but it's somewhere around there. And the person doing the compressions is supposed to almost break the ribs.

Anyway this brings more blood flow to the brain than mouth to mouth breathing. But yeah, if there were no vital signs they wouldn't have continued for that long a time. Me thinks the story has been exaggerated just a tad.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
25-08-2013, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2013 02:51 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Why do atheists have to explain anything ?
The default position is : "it not explained ... YET".
The default is not "oh, the gods did it".
It's fairly rare, but not unheard of. Death is a process. The guy wasn't dead. So what ?
No COMPLETELY DEAD person, has ever once come back to life. Not one.
If Jebus is going around doing miracles why not raise someone who was dead for a month, and then everyone can join in the fun.
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-08-2013, 08:27 AM
(25-08-2013 10:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No COMPLETELY DEAD person, has ever once come back to life. Not one.

This is the important thing. There is a difference between clinically dead and biologically dead.

A doctor can pronounce someone dead if heart circulation and breathing has stopped. Clinically dead people can be revived through the use of various resuscitation techniques including CPR and defibrillators. Some people have been brought back after being "dead" for a long time due to having an extremely low body temperature (thus the motto, "Not dead until warm and dead").

Biological death is when cells begin to break down. No one can be brought back from that level of dead.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post