Back from the wake ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2012, 11:47 PM
RE: Back from the wake ...
You are right, parents should not outlive their children, that just doesn't seem right at all, it seems even more tragic.

I am sorry for your loss and your friend.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2012, 05:49 PM
I hate wakes. They're so morbid.

When I die, I've decreed that I be propped up in the corner and everyone party until everyone passes out.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
20-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Geez, I'm sorry, Chas. Ya' wanna' share some stories 'bout 'cher friend?

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2012, 01:40 AM
I don't understand the need for a wake any longer. It was started when it was discovered that we were sometimes burying living people that were suffering from a sickness that reduced the signs of life to almost none. It was impossible to tell that they were still alive. Days later they would wake up 6 feet under and scratch the hell out of the coffin trying to get out. It is also why we used to bury people with a string tied to a foot that was attached to a bell above ground. Now we make sure that people are truly dead by embalming the body before burial. If you were alive before, you aren't by the time we bury you. The wake was to give the deceased enough time to wake up in case they are actually alive. It think the only reason to still do it is the drama that we all feed on.
22-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Sorry Chas.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
22-11-2012, 07:35 AM
(22-11-2012 01:40 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I don't understand the need for a wake any longer. It was started when it was discovered that we were sometimes burying living people that were suffering from a sickness that reduced the signs of life to almost none. It was impossible to tell that they were still alive. Days later they would wake up 6 feet under and scratch the hell out of the coffin trying to get out. It is also why we used to bury people with a string tied to a foot that was attached to a bell above ground. Now we make sure that people are truly dead by embalming the body before burial. If you were alive before, you aren't by the time we bury you. The wake was to give the deceased enough time to wake up in case they are actually alive. It think the only reason to still do it is the drama that we all feed on.

Wakes are for the living.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-11-2012, 08:14 AM
(22-11-2012 07:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-11-2012 01:40 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I don't understand the need for a wake any longer. It was started when it was discovered that we were sometimes burying living people that were suffering from a sickness that reduced the signs of life to almost none. It was impossible to tell that they were still alive. Days later they would wake up 6 feet under and scratch the hell out of the coffin trying to get out. It is also why we used to bury people with a string tied to a foot that was attached to a bell above ground. Now we make sure that people are truly dead by embalming the body before burial. If you were alive before, you aren't by the time we bury you. The wake was to give the deceased enough time to wake up in case they are actually alive. It think the only reason to still do it is the drama that we all feed on.

Wakes are for the living.
That. Funerals, wakes... they're necessary. Give people a bit of closure. I was surprised how much calmer I felt afterwards. Not happy, but not... operating on that hair-trigger/knife-edge/adrenalin-horror like immediately after the actual death.
22-11-2012, 08:24 AM
It's an individual thing. Some people get a lot of comfort and closure from a wake. Others just get shook up. And yes, wakes are definitely for the living. All grieving is for the living.

Sorry you lost a friend, Chas. The open casket sounds cool though in this case. You'll be remembering his shirt and shades - and his personality instead of the usual open casket memory. I hope he doesn't leave a big hole in your life...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-11-2012, 09:32 AM
(22-11-2012 08:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  It's an individual thing. Some people get a lot of comfort and closure from a wake. Others just get shook up. And yes, wakes are definitely for the living. All grieving is for the living.

Sorry you lost a friend, Chas. The open casket sounds cool though in this case. You'll be remembering his shirt and shades - and his personality instead of the usual open casket memory. I hope he doesn't leave a big hole in your life...
Thanks, Dom.

He has been important in my life, but not a constant presence. His demons had him coming and going; his personality was large so when he was present, he was very present. When not, news of him would come from mutual friends.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post