Back in my day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2015, 04:10 PM
RE: Back in my day
(01-10-2015 04:01 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Talk about choosing the worst examples of current musicians. Jeez you guys, there are plenty of great musicians today! Mentioning Milry Cirus instead of Foster the People, or Justin Bieber instead of Daughter is just plain silly. In fact, my kid and I have identical taste in music.

Yeah, but look who we remember from the past. Big, widely popular, catchy music.

Foster the People is great, but most Miley fans would look at you confused. "is that a band or a charity?"

Sorry man, I'd love it if bands that actually had talent get remembered, but that's not how our culture works. I hate to say it, but someday people will look back and reminisce while listening to One Direction. Hell, I know people that feel that way about New Kids On The Block... lots.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Yeah, but there's always gonna be people who reminisce about shitty music like that. There's also people who feel that way about good music. The Beatles music endures because it's good, not because it's catchy.

Remember that Miley fans will mature and listen to other music too. They may not remember music from their Miley stage, but that's also not the only exposure they'll have. Great musicians tend to stick around for a longer time, so they tend to influence more people. In general, Miley Cirus will be remembered the same way NKOTB are....as an amusing, if not annoying trend.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
01-10-2015, 04:29 PM
(01-10-2015 02:20 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 02:16 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Good question. I've no idea as the kids only seem to play their music through headphones, so I've never heard what sort of music they're actually listening to. In my day we'd stick a LP on the hi-fi system and blast it so loud that even the neighbours would hear it.

*waits for Chas to show up and start talking about his phonautograph.* Smartass

Nah, I'm not an early adopter. I waited for one of these:

[Image: $_32.JPG]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-10-2015, 05:04 PM
(01-10-2015 04:22 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yeah, but there's always gonna be people who reminisce about shitty music like that. There's also people who feel that way about good music. The Beatles music endures because it's good, not because it's catchy.

Remember that Miley fans will mature and listen to other music too. They may not remember music from their Miley stage, but that's also not the only exposure they'll have. Great musicians tend to stick around for a longer time, so they tend to influence more people. In general, Miley Cirus will be remembered the same way NKOTB are....as an amusing, if not annoying trend.

They're not remembering the music, they're remembering their youth.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Went outside to take a break yesterday and watched a tall, thin black guy get out of a car and fluff up a truly impressive afro...I swear I heard disco music playing as he strutted down the sidewalk. I haven't see a 'fro like that in years! It was huge! And perfectly round. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
01-10-2015, 05:41 PM
(01-10-2015 12:05 PM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  Can you believe that somewhere in the future someone could say "back in my day we use to listen to real music, like lil Wayne and Justin Bieber. "

I hope I'm not around to hear this.

Yeah, but it's the same thing with many other songs, too! The comedian Nick Swanson brought it up in one of his skits! Your grandparents listened to some pretty tame stuff compared to today's music!

I don't think I'll ever have grankids, but could you imagine the look on their faces walking in to Papaw Guley's, and catching him groovin to som Lil' John? Blink

DON'T START NO SHIT, WON'T BE NO SHIT! [Image: 3496c682cd74f0f2f3797dffe857eb87.gif]

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
01-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Kanye Gasp Weeping 'nuff said.

We don't want to be remembered for that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

01-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Taylor Swift is another one. Geesh. Why is she even a star? Am I missing something? She's headed into the 'back in my day" category with puzzled looks from future generations.

Huh

And her face looks like she's hanging upside down or something.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-10-2015, 07:26 PM
(01-10-2015 07:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Taylor Swift is another one. Geesh. Why is she even a star? Am I missing something? She's headed into the 'back in my day" category with puzzled looks from future generations.

Huh

And her face looks like she's hanging upside down or something.

I cannot like this often enough...I simply don't get it where Taylor Swift is concerned.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
01-10-2015, 07:42 PM
(01-10-2015 12:05 PM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  Can you believe that somewhere in the future someone could say "back in my day we use to listen to real music, like lil Wayne and Justin Bieber. "

I hope I'm not around to hear this.

There will always be real music. You are simply looking in the wrong place. You are under the impression pop music was always "real" music. Sure it was real pop music. Don't allow your ignorance of music to put down music as a whole.

Pop music is a product of advertising agencies. The 3 1/2 minute pop song was invented because it is the perfect length for which to place advertising between.

You have been coerced into liking the music you do by executives.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post