Back in my day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2015, 08:01 PM
RE: Back in my day
(01-10-2015 07:42 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:05 PM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  Can you believe that somewhere in the future someone could say "back in my day we use to listen to real music, like lil Wayne and Justin Bieber. "

I hope I'm not around to hear this.

There will always be real music. You are simply looking in the wrong place. You are under the impression pop music was always "real" music. Sure it was real pop music. Don't allow your ignorance of music to put down music as a whole.

Pop music is a product of advertising agencies. The 3 1/2 minute pop song was invented because it is the perfect length for which to place advertising between.

You have been coerced into liking the music you do by executives.

I wouldn't say I'm ignorant of music. Maybe of what kids are listening to nowadays but, I listen to a wide variety of music from classic rock to reggae to hip hop to country western to Estonian folk metal to....this list goes on and on. I have also played in a variety of bands over the years.

I have not been coerced into liking music by executives. Most of the bands I listen to are not mainstream and are under small labels and over seas (not in the US).

You are making false claims and need to check yourself
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 07:31 AM
(01-10-2015 04:22 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yeah, but there's always gonna be people who reminisce about shitty music like that. There's also people who feel that way about good music. The Beatles music endures because it's good, not because it's catchy.

Remember that Miley fans will mature and listen to other music too. They may not remember music from their Miley stage, but that's also not the only exposure they'll have. Great musicians tend to stick around for a longer time, so they tend to influence more people. In general, Miley Cirus will be remembered the same way NKOTB are....as an amusing, if not annoying trend.

Yeah, but really shitty bands get remembered all the fucking time in favor of actually talented acts that fade into obscurity.

It's all subjective, though, so I suppose arguing about it is kinda moot. Personally, I think several artists who are absolutely revered were mediocre at best. Hell, I once almost got punched for comparing a well loved band of the 70s to Nickelback.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
02-10-2015, 09:59 AM
(02-10-2015 07:31 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 04:22 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yeah, but there's always gonna be people who reminisce about shitty music like that. There's also people who feel that way about good music. The Beatles music endures because it's good, not because it's catchy.

Remember that Miley fans will mature and listen to other music too. They may not remember music from their Miley stage, but that's also not the only exposure they'll have. Great musicians tend to stick around for a longer time, so they tend to influence more people. In general, Miley Cirus will be remembered the same way NKOTB are....as an amusing, if not annoying trend.

Yeah, but really shitty bands get remembered all the fucking time in favor of actually talented acts that fade into obscurity.

It's all subjective, though, so I suppose arguing about it is kinda moot. Personally, I think several artists who are absolutely revered were mediocre at best. Hell, I once almost got punched for comparing a well loved band of the 70s to Nickelback.

I'm definitely discussing, not arguing. I was mostly playing DA.

...Nickelback...Angry

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-10-2015, 10:24 AM
(02-10-2015 09:59 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 07:31 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Yeah, but really shitty bands get remembered all the fucking time in favor of actually talented acts that fade into obscurity.

I'm definitely discussing, not arguing. I was mostly playing DA.

...Nickelback...Angry

I figured, I wasn't saying you were arguing, I was trying to say that's why I'm not gonna list out the "Legendary" bands that are as bad as Nickelback. It would start a pointless, subjective argument on what good music actually is.

My point is that the actual talent of the musicians is only a small part of who is remembered. The bands that we remember well from previous eras are those who were popular for whatever reason, whether it be a hormonal response (bieber, nkotb, etc, etc, etc), because they were heavily promoted, or because they actually have talent.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister