Back to school prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
RE: Back to school prayer
That's what people say about younger generations constantly. It's seriously in writing of ancient Grece and across the historical probe of culture.

Parents and kids changed, always and always it happens.

There's studying now done on kids growing up with voice command programs their whole life (siri/alexia) and some wonder how will they see interactions and empathy. But a side note noticed is these programs cause kids to learn to think out their thoughts and annunciatate clearly at younger ways. With new culture and tech people change, but nothing has drastically changed human development into adulthood. It's all incremental like the fear people had of TV changing kids to when people thought books and writing would make people grow up unable to handle social conversation.. nothing like that ever is very different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
01-09-2017, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 01:37 PM by BikerDude.)
Maybe.
For me it's less of a "study" thing than a "seat of the pants" "driver's experience" type thing.
I mean a lot of changes have been put in place socially that didn't exist for a long long time.
Universities have been around for centuries without providing safe areas.
Professors could discuss difficult topics without providing trigger warnings and it didn't seem to cause a lot of consternation.
And you see things like the yale student protests about Halloween costumes. Halloween Costumes!

It's hard for older people to not to see these people as somehow a bit "damaged".
Every generation changes. But I don't remember another that seemed so traumatized about dealing with everyday things.
And insisting that it is the worlds responsibility to shelter them from every slight.
Having been around a long time I have to say from a "user experience" position it's a new phenomena.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
01-09-2017, 01:42 PM
(31-08-2017 01:13 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Someone posted this on the local school FB page.

[Image: Back-to-School-Prayer.jpg]

There were all kinds of 'Amen' and prayer hand emoji replies.

What cracks me up is a couple of the so-called 'christians' who replied with Amens or "I just LOVE this!" are fairly repugnant people with equally demon spawn children.

I am so tempted to post this:

[Image: f5b91d4cf9a5d5b9ad0416fe847c777d--momma-...quotes.jpg]

You could also be a little more passive and write your own Dear God letter.

Something like:

Dear God,

Thank you for the gift of being a parent.

I will be responsible in staying communicative and in touch with their interactions at school.

This way I can make sure they treat others in a kind manner and grow to be responsible and caring members of society. If others are not making the same choice as them, I can help navigate how to deal with those individuals.

I would also like to teach them that when they are scared they can know there are supports and help in their community. This way we can learn the value of trust and connection with others in this world, starting with their school.

The responsibility is put where it belongs. Cool
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
01-09-2017, 04:11 PM
(01-09-2017 08:02 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 01:20 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Also, the biggest opponents (at least in my state) for anti-bullying laws are the religious right. They claim either freedom of religion, or that there's not really a problem, so there's nothing to fix.

I wish I could understand how bullying became such a problem.
I don't doubt that it's real but I can't really get down with "laws" about it.
It seems like an over reaction to start passing laws if it's just kids having a scrape on the playground. That was part of growing up when I was a kid.

My wife was bullied from elementary school through high school. She hates immature humans and never wanted to be a parent.

And I don't suppose kids have changed much since she was young.
01-09-2017, 05:44 PM
From a non-parent:

Dear Gawd,

Please cancel Spring Break, and Summer Vacation!

Weeping

03-09-2017, 05:57 AM
(01-09-2017 08:02 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 01:20 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Also, the biggest opponents (at least in my state) for anti-bullying laws are the religious right. They claim either freedom of religion, or that there's not really a problem, so there's nothing to fix.

I wish I could understand how bullying became such a problem.
I don't doubt that it's real but I can't really get down with "laws" about it.
It seems like an over reaction to start passing laws if it's just kids having a scrape on the playground. That was part of growing up when I was a kid.
I can't say I bullied or that I got bullied. But everybody had at least a few playground dust ups over the years. Hell I ended up good friends with a couple of kids after we fought.
It's an issue that I just find myself a bit mystified about. How did this become a big problem?

There are many ways to bully.
My sister had a classmate who mostly followed her around, she didn't want to elaborate about anything else. He met her on the way to school, walking behind her, saying nasty things. He chewed pieces of paper and smat them at her in class, followed her during breaks and then home. (She reported it, he apologised and promised to not do it again to the teacher. It because worse.)
Cheeky fucker got so bold he sat outside her house in plain view, buying pizza when he got hungry and ate it outside.
He wasn't stalking her because he was obsessed. It's just a legal way to apply psychological pressure.

And that's between teens of similar age. Rodger - at my school - vented his feelings of inadequacy by cornering younger, weaker, smaller kids, hold a rock in his hand and swing it towards their faces. He giggled when they flinched, taunting them for "cowardice". If they fell down he kicked them in the ribs. Not so hard they bruised, that would be proof of violence.
Most bullies are clever that way, leaving no visible marks.

My first experience was in kindergarten. I had a quarrel with a boy, something about a toy. When his dad came to pick him up they came towards me. I assumed we were going to apologize and move on.
The little bastard hits me. Naturally I shoved him to the ground. The father shouts something in arabic and slaps me so I fall over. He gets his son up, points at me and makes a fist. Then walks over to me, steps behind and pins my arms to my sides. Again, the dad says something I don't understand to his son, but the meaning was quite clear.
Afterwards he says in broken english, next time l fight back the police will come take me away from my parents.
We didn't stay in that city for long, until we left I always waited for my parents by the kitchen door. I knew where the big knives were. That made me feel safer.

In my experience, including the people I've talked to, the violence itself isn't the problem. The problem is the long-term effects of living under constant psychological pressure, and adapting to a world where cruelty is encouraged.
I'm glad you could solve your disputes with simple scrapes in the yard. When I tried that they waited for me after school, chasing me, throwing rocks. Unfortunately it was winter, so to make sure I learned, after PE they pushed me out of the door nearly naked, for about an hour.
At lot of things can happen to people who spend their formative years in humiliation, isolation, fear and eventually rage, but I doubt growing up is one them.
One of my classmates who transferred - there were many of them, some of which had it worse than me - sent hate-mail letters to several kids for years after leaving. I only know about it because the jerks mentioned it when they talked about 'something fun' they had done.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 4 users Like M. Linoge's post
03-09-2017, 04:56 PM
(31-08-2017 01:13 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Someone posted this on the local school FB page.

[Image: Back-to-School-Prayer.jpg]

There were all kinds of 'Amen' and prayer hand emoji replies.

What cracks me up is a couple of the so-called 'christians' who replied with Amens or "I just LOVE this!" are fairly repugnant people with equally demon spawn children.

I am so tempted to post this:

[Image: f5b91d4cf9a5d5b9ad0416fe847c777d--momma-...quotes.jpg]

They need to watch out for them thems...they multiply like bacteria!

Disappointing theists since 1968
04-09-2017, 07:18 AM
Back to school prayer? Gasp

Heck! When I was a kid in Catholic school, every Labor Day I used to pray for an extra two or three weeks of summer vacation. It never did any good, though. Sadcryface2
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post