Backhanded piece about atheism in New York Times

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2016, 11:22 PM
RE: Backhanded piece about atheism in New York Times
The article seems fine to me. He is focusing on atheist based organisations rather than atheists in general. I think he makes many valid points.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2017, 04:53 AM
(31-12-2016 06:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Quote:Atheists and agnostics have long tried to rebottle religion: to get the community and the good works without the supernatural stuff. It has worked about as well as nonalcoholic beer. As with O’Doul’s, converts are few, and rarely do they end up having a very good time.

Yabut, NA beer works just fine. Yes Well, not O'Douls - that's piss. Dodgy

Beer without alcohol sounds about as appealing as a woman without a vagina.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
01-01-2017, 06:57 AM
(31-12-2016 03:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-12-2016 02:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Come on, Girly. Everybody knows that the operator of a tardis cannot revisit a 4D nexus he's been involved in... also everybody knows "can't be done" just means "until the Doctor figures out how." Laugh out load

So does that mean that zombie Clara and that other girl who didn't die flying around in their own diner in the desert tardis could go back and grab River Song since they separated from the Doctor before he dorked his sister or daughter or mother or whatever she was? Consider

Why would they - other than to satisfy your lesbo three-way fantasies? Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-01-2017, 08:48 AM
He was never a "True Christian" anyhow.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-01-2017, 01:17 PM
(01-01-2017 04:53 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(31-12-2016 06:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, NA beer works just fine. Yes Well, not O'Douls - that's piss. Dodgy

Beer without alcohol sounds about as appealing as a woman without a vagina.

It's January 1 and I'm not sure I'll read a better post in 2017.
02-01-2017, 05:21 AM
It is interesting that some atheists started to lay out what they called atheism +. The idea of moving beyond merely debating the non-existence of God and working to make a better way of life for atheists that applies the obvious need to create a more sophisticated sort of existence based on common sense. There was a rather heated attack on atheism + from within atheism by many fellow atheists.

Humanism long ago preceded atheism + but seems to have been considered a boring bunch of fuddy-duddies by many, atheists and theists. Not to mention being a bunch of damned liberals.

We seem to be in the midst of a rising wave of right winged toxic masculinity dedicated to attacking anybody labelled a "Social Justice Warrior". We live in odd times. Who's worst? Christians like the Promise Keepers? Or those atheists who think atheism + must be attacked anywhere it shows up?

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
02-01-2017, 06:03 AM
Atheism+ is extremist fucknuttery, dude. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-01-2017, 06:42 AM
I had to Google it to see if it was real. It wasn't so long ago that people generally eschewed labels. What's next? Republicans who don't believe the moon is made out of cheese?
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
02-01-2017, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 07:05 AM by GirlyMan.)
(02-01-2017 06:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Atheism+ is extremist fucknuttery, dude. Dodgy

I had to look it up. Something about atheists have a problem with feminists? Still not sure I get it. I do remember something about some old man named PZ Myers and some guy named thunderhoof arguing about grabbing pussies at some atheist conference. Is that what spawned this?

We are…
Atheists plus we care about social justice,
Atheists plus we support women’s rights,
Atheists plus we protest racism,
Atheists plus we fight homophobia and transphobia,
Atheists plus we use critical thinking and skepticism.

Why word it like that unless you just wanna stir up shit? The implicit assertion is that regular old atheists don't care about social justice, don't support women's rights, don't protest racism, don't fight homophobia and transphobia and don't use critical thinking and skepticism. The fuck I ever do to you. Group seems like it was created to be confrontational and up in your grill from the gitgo. Fair enough but why you feel like you gotta attach an atheist label to any of those activities? If they want to highlight the primacy of atheism in their group the mission statement could have been worded a lot less incendiary.

We are an atheist group focusing our efforts on creating and protecting social justice, supporting women's rights, protesting racism, and fighting homophobia and transphobia using critical thinking and skepticism.

Seems like this lady just wants to be an asshole. A call to arms for atheists to come out fightin ' mad seems as silly as herding cats.

#sigh
02-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Oh dear, some Atheists have decided to make fighting for social justice part of their atheist lifestyle. Wugga! Wugga! Wugga! Can't do that. Atheism + bad!

Well, it looks like some will despite the cries of outrage and good luck to them.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie