Backlash against North Richland Hills City Hall

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Backlash against North Richland Hills City Hall
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/...10372.html
Thought this would be interesting.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2016, 02:50 PM
RE: Backlash against North Richland Hills City Hall
This is what it's about:

Quote:NORTH RICHLAND HILLS —

An atheist group, angry about the display of the phrase “In God We Trust” in the new City Hall, helped usher in some controversy Friday as North Richland Hills officials celebrated the opening of a long-awaited municipal complex.

About 20 people stood outside City Hall with signs about honoring the U.S. Constitution and respecting diversity. Amid the celebration that included City Hall tours, live music and food, they said they also object to Christian prayers being said at the beginning of council meetings.

“It’s unconstitutional,” said resident Randy Word of Metroplex Atheists. “They should stop doing it.”

Protester Mark Moore of Arlington said he does not believe “it’s the city’s or government’s business to say things about God. I think that’s up to the individuals to decide.”

Mayor Oscar Trevino said the city has no plans remove the display or stop saying prayers at the beginning of council meetings.

The crowd at the City Hall ceremony appeared to number in the hundreds. A prayer was said by the Rev. Danny Tenney of City Point United Methodist Church to shouts of protests from the atheist group.

“Their belief is no God. That’s OK. They can believe that,” Trevino said in an interview. “We say a prayer, we have ‘In God We Trust’ more to let us know that there is a higher authority.

“Because we do believe, we’re going to treat them with the respect that they deserve.”

The City Council voted in March to display the motto in a “prominent location.” The 4-inch-high lettering was placed outside the offices of the mayor and council members at a cost of $560. Residents have to go through sets of doors to see the motto.

“The city has received several offers from people to cover the cost, so it’s not tax-funded,” city spokeswoman Mary Peters wrote in an email.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/...rylink=cpy

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-05-2016, 06:30 PM
What part of the city budget are they trusting god to handle ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
15-05-2016, 06:35 PM
(15-05-2016 06:30 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  What part of the city budget are they trusting god to handle ?

Probably education seeing how they don't understand the separation of church and state

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.