Backwoods Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Backwoods Sacrifice
I was in the store today and heard a story. A customer was talking to the cashier.

Customer: My sister's grand-daughter died.

Cashier: I'm sorry to hear that, what happened?

Details of death

Customer: I should have known. My dog was howling for three days. My father was always talking about how dogs would howl before someone dies.

Cashier: No one believes in the old signs anymore. Like the hens?

Customer: Yeah. Dad would go out and kill a hen that crowed if he heard it. If you dont someone will die. I knew I should have killed that dog.

Basically the Customer believes that she should have sacrificed the animal to save the grand-child from dieing. I was pretty amazed by this. I didnt know that people here, in the bible belt, believed in animal sacrifice. I also found it pretty ironic that they wanted to act out pagan rites. I thought God did away with all of that? In any case no one killed the animal.

Anyone else have any stories similar to this?
Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 03:51 PM

RE: Backwoods Sacrifice
I find it unfortunate that either of those two people you mentioned have animals they may get their hands on. Sad

Regarding pagan rites, while the new religion, Christianity, did seek to stamp out the old ways centuries ago, they failed miserably. As is with any persecuted race or belief system, those under siege tend to go under ground. The pagans did just that.

Today, pagans are everywhere. They publish books, conduct public rituals, advertise gatherings both general and seasonal as per their unique religious calendars, and enjoy, at least in America and certainly elsewhere, the protection afforded under the first Amendment. Even the Military Chaplains Handbook has a section dedicated to pagan rites and rituals including those of Wiccans. The new word for Witchcraft.

Regarding the old superstition about dog's howling before someone's spirit leaves their body, I had heard that for years and then one day this friend of mine who'd been close to a woman who's only son died, called me that same morning that she got the news and hours after the discovery.
The boy was an athlete and about 11 years old as I recall. One day on the baseball field at school he simply collapsed. Rushed to the hospital and after a battery of tests, the doctors discovered a tumor the size of a baseball over his heart.
The prognosis was dire as it was so far gone but had before that collapse presented no symptoms. He'd undergone treatments in hospital and then because of the stress of being admitted there and in strange surroundings, the doctors figured the best thing for him was to let him go home and his parents return him for treatment appointments.
One weekday morning the mom had slept in but was awakened by the family's German shepherd who wouldn't stop howling, even after the sound awoke the mom who'd otherwise slept through the ringing of the alarm clock right beside the bed.
She followed the noise and sure enough the dog was right outside the boy's closed bedroom door. When she walked in that's when she found her son. He looked to be asleep but he was dead and warm yet to the touch.

It was the first time I'd ever known someone who's family member departed under those circumstances, with the old story of the howling dog to boot.

A month later, someone beat that German shepherd to death after he'd somehow got out of the families fenced/gated yard. He was found in a neighbors yard and the cops said there was nothing to be done because the dog...was trespassing!

People are the sickest animal on earth. We kill because we can. We get away with it, because we claim to have reason.
27-05-2011, 03:52 PM
It's surprising what 'folk beliefs' people have when they suddenly talk freely. I once overheard while visiting in the Canadian praries " They say it takes seven years to learn to live in the mountains." I suddenly felt very sorry for all those young children growing up in mountain communities who are obviously terrified until they reach age seven, lol.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Was this near "New Awlins". That's sure what it sounds like. The sacrifice thing seems to be still running strong there. In all my travels, which have been many, I never seen a place in the US where religions are as weird as they are there. Someone got very confused, and sewed several of the mythologies together there. I'm surprised that Joseph Smith didn't wind up there.

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 04:39 PM

(27-05-2011 04:04 PM)blasphemy fan Wrote:  Was this near "New Awlins". That's sure what it sounds like. The sacrifice thing seems to be still running strong there. In all my travels, which have been many, I never seen a place in the US where religions are as weird as they are there. Someone got very confused, and sewed several of the mythologies together there. I'm surprised that Joseph Smith didn't wind up there.

Actually, it was on the northern end of the same state. But good guess. Scary stuff.