Backyard Fireworks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 03:57 PM
RE: Backyard Fireworks
(12-03-2017 03:51 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 03:47 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I used to be a member of the Pyrotechnic Guild International from the early 1980's to the mid-1990's. During that time I would put on a semi-professional fireworks show for the neighborhood every 4th of July. I used racks of metal mortar tubes which I had fabricated at the machine shop where I worked. My largest display (1992) lasted for just over half an hour and featured a 150-shell grand finale.Smile

My sister was the first woman to win Grand Master. Thumbsup

http://www.westfallteam.com/node/19?q=node/20

> Nice! Did she ever meet George Plimpton at any of the PGI conventions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2017, 04:06 PM
(12-03-2017 03:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 02:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Where do you live that you can simply go out in your backyard and set off fireworks. A lot of places with low rainfall have rules about such things.

You can pretty much do that here in Michigan, some cities have local ordinances which limit when you can shoot them off, usually it's limited to day before, day of, and day after a national holiday but for those cities without that ordinance there really isn't any limit.

For about 10 years I lived in the central valley in California, the San Joaquin Valley. It's the inner desert of California, it's an exceedingly dry climate and they had strict fireworks rules. One time I went to see a 4th of July fireworks put on by the fire department. They did the fireworks inside a college stadium. On one end of the stadium was a small cluster of about 8 or 9 trees. During the show one of the trees caught fire from a fireworks spark and in no time the entire little grove of trees went up in flames. The fire department was right on top of things but it was just such a dry climate it took nothing to burn all the trees down.

It was the most memorable fireworks show I've ever seen. Everyone got to see the fire department in action, putting out a decent sized fire. Fun times.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-03-2017, 04:07 PM
(12-03-2017 04:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 03:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  You can pretty much do that here in Michigan, some cities have local ordinances which limit when you can shoot them off, usually it's limited to day before, day of, and day after a national holiday but for those cities without that ordinance there really isn't any limit.

For about 10 years I lived in the central valley in California, the San Joaquin Valley. It's the inner desert of California, it's an exceedingly dry climate and they had strict fireworks rules. One time I went to see a 4th of July fireworks put on by the fire department. They did the fireworks inside a college stadium. On one end of the stadium was a small cluster of about 8 or 9 trees. During the show one of the trees caught fire from a fireworks spark and in no time the entire little grove of trees went up in flames. The fire department was right on top of things but it was just such a dry climate it took nothing to burn all the trees down.

It was the most memorable fireworks show I've ever seen. Everyone got to see the fire department in action, putting out a decent sized fire. Fun times.

Sounds very exciting.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
12-03-2017, 04:13 PM
I got beau coup fireworks when I was a young sailor. Tracers, man, tracers ... and a land route to Thailand. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
12-03-2017, 04:22 PM
(12-03-2017 03:57 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 03:51 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  My sister was the first woman to win Grand Master. Thumbsup

http://www.westfallteam.com/node/19?q=node/20

> Nice! Did she ever meet George Plimpton at any of the PGI conventions?

She never mentioned him. Was he a member?
12-03-2017, 04:26 PM
(12-03-2017 04:22 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 03:57 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Nice! Did she ever meet George Plimpton at any of the PGI conventions?

She never mentioned him. Was he a member?

> George Plimpton had the honorable title of Fireworks Commissioner of New York City. He wrote a book titled Fireworks: A History and Celebration. He was frequently either the host or keynote speaker of many PGI conventions.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
12-03-2017, 04:43 PM
(12-03-2017 03:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  You can pretty much do that here in Michigan, some cities have local ordinances which limit when you can shoot them off, usually it's limited to day before, day of, and day after a national holiday but for those cities without that ordinance there really isn't any limit.

I lived there too for a few years. There was Banta - a little town that had a donkey for major. Not shitting you. When asked about it, people would say: Don't most places have asses for major? Can't argue with that. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-03-2017, 05:02 PM

How did you like half the state burning to the ground last year? I live up in the Sequoia national forest right now. I spent weeks in a red cross refugee center when they evacuated our homes. Thankfully thanks to the hard work of the forestry service and cal fire all of our homes were saved! I became pretty good friends with one of the former fire captains during that experience.

Oh and Greetings from the Central Valley!

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
12-03-2017, 09:03 PM
My first experience with backyard fireworks was in 1982. A fellow at work was peddling black market pyrotechnics from the trunk of his car. I bought enough rockets and roman candles to fill a brown paper shopping bag. I was a bit shocked at the prices. It cost about $125 to fill that bag. Nevertheless, I had a great time that 4th of July. In fact, the whole valley below my house was lit up by fireworks that night.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
13-03-2017, 02:31 AM
(12-03-2017 09:03 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  My first experience with backyard fireworks was in 1982. A fellow at work was peddling black market pyrotechnics from the trunk of his car. I bought enough rockets and roman candles to fill a brown paper shopping bag. I was a bit shocked at the prices. It cost about $125 to fill that bag. Nevertheless, I had a great time that 4th of July. In fact, the whole valley below my house was lit up by fireworks that night.

So is your interest inspired by your Gandalf identification?

Cool
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post