Backyard Fireworks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 02:38 AM
RE: Backyard Fireworks
(13-03-2017 02:31 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 09:03 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  My first experience with backyard fireworks was in 1982. A fellow at work was peddling black market pyrotechnics from the trunk of his car. I bought enough rockets and roman candles to fill a brown paper shopping bag. I was a bit shocked at the prices. It cost about $125 to fill that bag. Nevertheless, I had a great time that 4th of July. In fact, the whole valley below my house was lit up by fireworks that night.

So is your interest inspired by your Gandalf identification?

Cool

> No, I didn't begin using Gandalf as my avatar until a few years ago when I joined Atheist Nexus. Actually, another member suggested it when he learned that I write LotR/Middle Earth fan fiction.

> Incidentally, I have considered adapting the events from one or more of my own firework trips into a Middle Earth tale in which I and a friend of mine purchase fireworks at the same factory where Gandalf's fireworks are custom made. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
13-03-2017, 10:33 AM
It was sometime in late 1982 that I decided to see if fireworks could be purchased legally at better prices than those offered by black marketeers. I sent away for a few catalogs from companies whose ads appeared in popular magazines. The company offering the best prices in the Northeast was A&W Sales, located in central Pennsylvania. According to my road atlas, a trip could be made there and back in a day. A friend agreed to accompany me and share the driving. We returned with literally five times the amount of fireworks we had purchased the previous year for the same amount of money. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
13-03-2017, 10:45 AM
I built a mini-Nebelwerfer to shoot bottle rockets once. Six eight inch pieces of PVC around a ninth piece. Fuzes were out where I could light them with a propane torch. Nice salvos. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2017, 11:36 AM
(12-03-2017 01:24 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Is anyone here interested in backyard fireworks? Are there any good fireworks outlets in your area? Which ones have the most reasonable prices? What types of pyrotechnic devices are your favorites? What are your favorite brands?

http://poconofireworks.com/wp-content/th...rand-2.png
http://poconofireworks.com/wp-content/th...rand-3.png
http://poconofireworks.com/wp-content/th...rand-6.png

I live in Texas. There are no fireworks emporiums nearby, but out here in the country, we get roadside stands for both the summer and winter holidays.

I don't have favorite brands, but when I was a kid, we sure did like having bottle-rocket wars.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Fireworks are illegal in Australia without a government permit, which is only granted to licensed pyrotechnicians for specific one-off celebrations. It's also illegal to import, transport and/or be in possession of fireworks without a permit. Courts can impose a penalty of up to $27,500 plus a 12-month jail term for the sale and purchase of fireworks without a valid licence.

Australia is the world's second-driest continent, so I guess this makes some sense.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
13-03-2017, 11:40 AM
(13-03-2017 11:36 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Australia is the world's second-driest continent, so I guess this makes some sense.

If I remember correctly, they banned fireworks in California during the drought for the same reason. They have too many fires as it is.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
13-03-2017, 11:44 AM
(12-03-2017 04:26 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 04:22 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  She never mentioned him. Was he a member?

> George Plimpton had the honorable title of Fireworks Commissioner of New York City. He wrote a book titled Fireworks: A History and Celebration. He was frequently either the host or keynote speaker of many PGI conventions.

That brings back memories, George Plimpton used to be the spokesman for Intellivision, the rival gaming console to Atari in the 80's. I listened to Plimpton and begged my parents for an Intellivision, which they eventually gave me.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-03-2017, 11:59 AM
(13-03-2017 11:40 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 11:36 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Australia is the world's second-driest continent, so I guess this makes some sense.

If I remember correctly, they banned fireworks in California during the drought for the same reason. They have too many fires as it is.

Most counties in California have permanent bans in place, and have had such for decades, to my knowledge. I lived in SLO and Ventura counties in the 80s, and the only place i can remember that was good for getting fireworks was San Fran. I had a buddy whose uncle would go up there every year around Chinese New Year and bring back a truckload, literally hundreds of bricks, to sell on the sly.

True story: one year, he brought back a bunch of Ladyfingers and Black Cats. The Ladyfingers were small but very strong, with a loud report -- but too goddamned fast. We could light one in our hands and drop it, and it'd go off before hitting the ground -- that goddamned fast. So James and I experimented with slowing them down.

See, a firecracker fuse is just tissue paper impregnated with gunpowder and then tightly twisted. So we'd untwist the fuse, brush out as much of the powder as possible, and then exhale directly on it -- or wet the fuse and then let it dry. We got to where we could get a fuse staying reliably lit for fifteen minutes. This, of course, had very useful implications for a couple of bored teenaged boys.

James lived in a two-story house about a block away from the local Bank of America branch in Paso Robles, at 15th and Spring streets. Said bank's parking lot was on Saturday nights the turnaround point for the local "cruise" -- when teens would drag up and down Spring Street looking for good times, good buds, or good ass, and not in that order ... old Chevelles with bitchin stereos cranking Bad Company, you know the scene. Of course, the police were regular visitors at that parking lot. So one night, we prepped about six or eight Ladyfingers with slow fuses, snuck down the alley behind the parking lot, and planted them about 15' from two parked (and occupied Smile) police cruisers observing the scene. We then snuck back to James's house, went upstairs and out onto his balcony, and watched the ensuing Chinese fire-drill, cigarettes in hand, from the comfort of patio chairs.

I don't think the cops could hear us laughing, but to be fair, we were trying to keep it down.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-03-2017, 12:13 PM
When I was growing up - you could go to the hardware store and buy as much dynamite, fuse and blasting caps as you wanted.. My dad did, to clear stumps.

And yes - I was a rotten kid who liked to make some noise. Good thing dad didn't keep count on the sticks....

The Fourth of July in my neighborhood was a bit loud.

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-03-2017, 12:33 PM
(13-03-2017 12:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  When I was growing up - you could go to the hardware store and buy as much dynamite, fuse and blasting caps as you wanted.. My dad did, to clear stumps.

We use fertilser (prilled ammonium nitrate) and sump oil... much less expensive. Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.