Backyard Fireworks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 01:45 PM
RE: Backyard Fireworks
(13-03-2017 12:33 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 12:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  When I was growing up - you could go to the hardware store and buy as much dynamite, fuse and blasting caps as you wanted.. My dad did, to clear stumps.

We use fertilser (prilled ammonium nitrate) and sump oil... much less expensive. Tongue

Yup. Very familiar with AMFO.... Thing is you still need dynamite to touch off the AMFO, they only sold dynamite by the case - and a case covered all we needed.

But..

I've been up close (100 meters) to 30 kilos of AMFO going off...

The earth moves..

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2017, 01:48 PM
(13-03-2017 01:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yup. Very familiar with AMFO.... Thing is you still need dynamite to touch off the AMFO, they only sold dynamite by the case - and a case covered all we needed.

But..

The earth moves..

Smile

You're lucky your eardrums weren't blown apart. Got tinnitus now?
13-03-2017, 05:49 PM
(12-03-2017 03:05 PM)JesseB Wrote:  When I was a kid we used to mix Acetylene gas and Oxygen in various sized bags (all the way up to trash can bags) and set them off in the back yard. Does that count as fireworks? I also made a bazooka out of PVC pipe that could launch a potato across the 5 acre property. Why? because I thought it was fun.

Then one day one of my friends made some blasting powder for a school play (it was a christian school and they thought it was cool that kids were being so creative), unfortunately there was an accident that almost killed my friend and 3 other's. The moral of the story? I was a dumb fuck kid, don't play with things that blow up. lol

Back in the old days when matches had the extra heads we used to remove them from the match, pack them in between two bolts and a nut, twist the bolts until we couldn't tighten them any more then toss them as high as possible and as far from us as possible. When they hit the ground they exploded [Image: qLlw3D5.gif?zoom=2] and bolts and nut flew where we didn't know. No one got hurt, thank you know who, and apparently grown ups never knew what we were doing.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post
13-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Been a while. Growing up going between an island in Puget Sound and a relatively isolated town in Alaska, as I've been known to mention, we lit off whatever the hell we felt like Tongue

Many fireworks are really awesome when dropped in the water just before they go off, btw. Cutting a hole as if you were ice fishing and then dropping fireworks into a frozen lake can result in some interesting effects.

As an adult the only time I really did fireworks was in China, where it was common to just launch bottle rockets right out the apartment window.

Now... As a scout, we do get to play with explosives on occasion. Not quite fireworks, but they have entertainment value nonetheless Tongue. I'm not even quite out yet and I'm already feeling pangs of nostalgia about the fact that I've probably already fired my last MK19 and will likely never get to play with C4 again.

'Murican Canadian
13-03-2017, 08:45 PM
(13-03-2017 01:48 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 01:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yup. Very familiar with AMFO.... Thing is you still need dynamite to touch off the AMFO, they only sold dynamite by the case - and a case covered all we needed.

But..

The earth moves..

Smile

You're lucky your eardrums weren't blown apart. Got tinnitus now?

LOL

Now?

I've been hearing that high pitched squeal since 1999……..….

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
09-04-2017, 08:50 AM
I recently received a 20% discount coupon by Email. I'm beginning to make preparations for this year's annual firework trip. I'm also looking forward to trying out my new MA E-ZPass transponder. Smile
09-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Filled a conventional rocket firework with homemade acetone peroxide when I was younger talk about a huge explosion, it was awesome must have shook the windows for miles around I reckon.
09-04-2017, 05:48 PM
(09-04-2017 10:38 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Filled a conventional rocket firework with homemade acetone peroxide when I was younger talk about a huge explosion, it was awesome must have shook the windows for miles around I reckon.

> Yipes! Shocking
15-04-2017, 04:56 AM
I started making preparations for my annual trip to PA a few days ago. I filled out my shopping list and was disappointed to discover that several of my favorite items are not available this year. There are, however, a few new multitubes I want to try out. Pocono Fireworks Outlet recently sent me an Email discount coupon (20%) good until the end of the month. Smile

My niece will be accompanying me on the trip, so I've also started my spring cleaning so that the house will be neat and clean when she visits. I'm also taking my 20-gal. cooler down from the attic because we like to have a picnic lunch halfway through the trip. Hopefully, the weather will be fair. Because of her work schedule, we can't plan an alternate date in case of rain.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
15-04-2017, 06:15 AM
(09-04-2017 08:50 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I recently received a 20% discount coupon by Email. I'm beginning to make preparations for this year's annual firework trip. I'm also looking forward to trying out my new MA E-ZPass transponder. Smile

Can you get stuff in PA that you can't in NH? What makes the extra distance worthwhile?
NH is a lot closer to me in eastern MA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post