Poll: Bacon
Chewy
Crunchy
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Bacon: Chewy or Crunchy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 08:27 PM
RE: Bacon: Chewy or Crunchy?
Jen, you're a doll, but I've got to tell you, whenever I see "-style" or "-flavored" on food packaging , I run the other way as fast as my gimp hip can carry me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Believe it or not they make bacon flavored dum dums, I tried one the other day. I wouldn't describe it as bad.....just wrong. Blink

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
15-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Anyone else find it odd that vegetarians/vegans eat meat flavored things? Unsure

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
15-07-2015, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2015 09:05 PM by yakherder.)
I haven't found a single mock meat that actually tastes like meat, though a lot of them do taste very good. I do find it odd that they are tied to meat equivalents, but if it's good then it's good. There's a vegan sandwich shop I frequent in Montreal. They have a mock BLT that is made with toasted coconut flakes as the bacon. They can call it whatever they want, it's freaking awesome.

And the Whole Foods in Las Vegas has a burrito called... you guessed it, the Las Vegan Burrito lol... I used to have like 8 of them per week once they put in the Whole Foods next to Mandalay Bay, where I was working at the time. It was seitan based. Didn't taste like meat, but it was good.

There was also a vegetarian noodle shop in Las Vegas Chinatown that had a Vietnamese style pho soup, and they went to the extreme of even faking the tripe. Now that's getting a bit weird.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
15-07-2015, 09:07 PM
(15-07-2015 08:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Anyone else find it odd that vegetarians/vegans eat meat flavored things? Unsure

As a former meat eater (years ago), I can tell you they don't really taste like meat. More like a tofu concoction. I actually don't eat a lot of fake meat products. I eat more soy based products like tofu. Some vegetarians/vegans I know don't eat meat for ethical reasons (not because they don't like the taste of meat). So meat flavored products probably work for them. For me personally, meat skeeves me, so I don't really eat a lot of meat flavored veggie products either. But I can totally understand your question Big Grin

Don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-07-2015, 09:07 PM
It's not odd at all, to me. They've made a conscious choice to change a dietary pattern they've inherited, but still enjoy what the taste buds sense.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post