Bacteria killing nanoparticles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Bacteria killing nanoparticles
I was about to post this in science, but it's definitely health related, so here ya go.
IBM created organic nanoparticles that can be used to destroy the cell walls of drug-resistant bacteria.
Amazing Nanoparticle Article
I have a layman's interest in disease and immunology, so I've been following the growing concern about antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. If these nanoparticles turn out to be any good (they were only tested in mice so far) this could be a huge breakthrough. Science is amazing.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cfhmagnet's post
04-04-2011, 01:53 PM
RE: Bacteria killing nanoparticles
I just jizzed my pants.
04-04-2011, 03:35 PM
If they can adapt this technology to viruses and cancerous cells we'll all be disease free - now that's potential !!! Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
04-04-2011, 07:07 PM
(04-04-2011 03:35 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  If they can adapt this technology to viruses and cancerous cells we'll all be disease free - now that's potential !!! Big Grin
Not necessarily. We have to wonder how much this kind of thing will cost. If it's expensive, the few are going to get it, not the many, at least in the States. It is promising though.

12-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Nanotechnology could bring a revolution in the field of immunology. However, it will take ages before virus killing nanoparticles are developed; which after all, are far more needed nowadays. Compared to viruses, bacteria are obese lardos that can be 'easily' targeted.

All in all, good job IBM. It's a huge step in the right direction. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2011, 09:05 AM
(12-05-2011 08:05 AM)Celestus87 Wrote:  Nanotechnology could bring a revolution in the field of immunology. However, it will take ages before virus killing nanoparticles are developed; which after all, are far more needed nowadays. Compared to viruses, bacteria are obese lardos that can be 'easily' targeted.

All in all, good job IBM. It's a huge step in the right direction. Big Grin
What constitutes "ages"? I think killing viruses can be done relatively soon, perhaps a few decades. Look at the way antiretroviral drugs have kept Magic Johnson's HIV from becoming AIDS. There has also been work on the peptide crocodilin, which kills everything... the drawback being that everything includes the human body. They have been looking at ways to engineer or synthesis this peptide so that it would either target certain things or be less lethal to the patient.

12-05-2011, 09:30 AM

A few decades (20-30 years) is my estimation as well. Taking into consideration the number of people that die from hiv each month, "ages" seems appropriate. Exclamation
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM
(12-05-2011 09:30 AM)Celestus87 Wrote:  A few decades (20-30 years) is my estimation as well. Taking into consideration the number of people that die from hiv each month, "ages" seems appropriate. Exclamation
Oh sure, but as a relative term I was just curious as to what constituted ages for you.