Bad Bolts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Bad Bolts
I have posted this elsewhere so sue me.

Those of us who live in the San Francisco Bay Area rely heavily on the Bay Bridge. In designing the new eastern span the engineers involved decided to use bolts (more properly threaded rod) that were prone to stress corrosion cracking (or hydrogen embrittlement). This decision was so flawed on some many levels to be reprehensible. As a long time engineer it is embarrassing.

The phenomenon of stress corrosion cracking is well detailed in the technical literature. The use of this material in a corrosive environment like the San Francisco Bay is at best indicative of hubris.

If I was the head of the board that licensed engineers in California I would not only lift the licenses of the engineers involved I would demand prison terms.

I know most of you could care less. I post for those of you who know technical decisions can often effect you. I also post as someone who made improper engineering decisions, none of which effected peoples lives.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
RE: Bad Bolts
They plan to fix this flaw, I hope! What does actually happens to the engineers who did the shoddy work?

02-06-2013, 02:22 PM
RE: Bad Bolts
(02-06-2013 01:01 PM)JAH Wrote:  I have posted this elsewhere so sue me.

Those of us who live in the San Francisco Bay Area rely heavily on the Bay Bridge. In designing the new eastern span the engineers involved decided to use bolts (more properly threaded rod) that were prone to stress corrosion cracking (or hydrogen embrittlement). This decision was so flawed on some many levels to be reprehensible. As a long time engineer it is embarrassing.

The phenomenon of stress corrosion cracking is well detailed in the technical literature. The use of this material in a corrosive environment like the San Francisco Bay is at best indicative of hubris.

If I was the head of the board that licensed engineers in California I would not only lift the licenses of the engineers involved I would demand prison terms.

I know most of you could care less. I post for those of you who know technical decisions can often effect you. I also post as someone who made improper engineering decisions, none of which effected peoples lives.

Sounds like the design firm had really good bribes, blow and hookers and got the design approved that way.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade