Bad Christian Interviews

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Bad Christian Interviews
Many of you may know that I am majoring in Anthropology (I actually graduated on 5-16-15). I recently helped a friend of mine transcribe recorded interviews that they conducted with a local bible study group. This was for a class on cultural anthropology. Anyway, some of the dialogue really stuck out to me as being rather self-hating and intellectually dishonest. I will post dialogue from two different people, both of whom are students in a Chemistry grad school program. I won't mention their names to keep their identities a secret.

Person #1:

This poor girl grew up thinking that she was a piece of shit deserving of hell, and the fact that she obsessed over it as a child breaks my heart.

Quote:Anyhow, I grew up in the safety of a family who were protective—they guarded my heart. They really tried to train me into understanding God and the truth of the bible, the purpose of Jesus’ coming to earth, and how his life is an example. We needed redemption, we needed a path because we were sinners. We were as filthy as dirty rags even in our best actions. Um, this was definitely something that I struggled with as a kid ‘cause I wanted to be a good kid, and I wanted to please mom and dad, and I definitely wanted to stay out of trouble—never a fun place to be. But I always found myself saying, “I didn’t mean to fight with my sister”, but clearly something I did pressed a button or two. Now we’re in a fight and now we’re in trouble—things like that to where I would be asking my mom, “I have sinned, I can’t stop, I don’t know how to stop no matter how much I try”. And she’s like, “that is why you need God, that’s why you need Christ and you need him as a savior because the payment for sin is death. That’s, that’s what we deserve as sinners. God can’t look upon sin because it is not a quality that he has”. It was difficult for me to say, “Well, how can I go to heaven because I definitely don’t want to go to hell (even though that is what I deserve)”. And every time I would ask my mom, “Well, how will I know when I’m convicted and I need to give my life to God, how will I know this? I know it’s something that I need to do, but how will I know the timing?” And her reply was, “You will know, you will be convicted, you will be burdened with that idea. And with that feeling of needing redemption”. And I kind of feel like I knew I needed to dedicate and give my life to God probably long before I did because I felt like I didn’t know how to do that.

Person #2:

As a reminder, this person is in a Masters program for Chemistry. Everything below is demonstrably wrong and shows that he just pulled these facts from creationist literature. This also serves as a perfect example of an educated creationist stepping well outside of their area of expertise--in his case, pharmaceutical drug research--to comment on things that they know zero about, such as physics, astrophysics, chemical evolution, and biological evolution. Based on the reactions of those in the group, I get the feeling that he was trying to bolster an image as the "sciencey" one of the bunch.

Don't worry, I explained to my friend step-by-step how each of the statements are wrong. For example, in the second sentence, he confuses the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics with the Law of the Conservation of Energy. It's all down hill from there. There are too many things wrong with the dialogue to highlight everything.

Quote:No. Actually, the Theory of Evolution breaks multiple scientific laws . I can go into that if you want me too. There is a law created by Isaac Newton known as the Second Law of Thermodynamics that matter can neither be created or destroyed . However, for the Big Bang Theory to occur, all matter in the universe would have to be spontaneously created . Another reason is that for the original life in the “primordial ooze”—and I’m saying that in quotation marks for your recording—there was a random nucleotide conversion that created almost an organic reaction that eventually became the DNA of the original cell. However, for cells to translate their DNA, they require something called a ribosome, which is a protein, so you can’t use RNA to create a protein without the protein originally , so I believe that God created them all simultaneously because, otherwise, none of it would be possible. Also, for life to exist on earth is a zero probability. Because the percentage or oxygen or nitrogen or carbon in the atmosphere was 0.1 percent more or less, all life on this planet would die . If the degree of orbit for earth was plus or minus one degree in either axial tilt or the radius around the sun, it would be too hot or too cold for life to occur. If we didn’t have the exact magnetic composition of the atmosphere, the sun would kill us . The sun is one of the lowest solar emitters of solar radiation of any star in the sky that’s known. It’s just every single one of these would have to be a random occurrence and the statistical probability of this happening is zero .
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2015, 11:28 AM
RE: Bad Christian Interviews
(19-05-2015 11:02 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Many of you may know that I am majoring in Anthropology (I actually graduated on 5-16-15). I recently helped a friend of mine transcribe recorded interviews that they conducted with a local bible study group. This was for a class on cultural anthropology. Anyway, some of the dialogue really stuck out to me as being rather self-hating and intellectually dishonest. I will post dialogue from two different people, both of whom are students in a Chemistry grad school program. I won't mention their names to keep their identities a secret.

Person #1:

This poor girl grew up thinking that she was a piece of shit deserving of hell, and the fact that she obsessed over it as a child breaks my heart.

Quote:Anyhow, I grew up in the safety of a family who were protective—they guarded my heart. They really tried to train me into understanding God and the truth of the bible, the purpose of Jesus’ coming to earth, and how his life is an example. We needed redemption, we needed a path because we were sinners. We were as filthy as dirty rags even in our best actions. Um, this was definitely something that I struggled with as a kid ‘cause I wanted to be a good kid, and I wanted to please mom and dad, and I definitely wanted to stay out of trouble—never a fun place to be. But I always found myself saying, “I didn’t mean to fight with my sister”, but clearly something I did pressed a button or two. Now we’re in a fight and now we’re in trouble—things like that to where I would be asking my mom, “I have sinned, I can’t stop, I don’t know how to stop no matter how much I try”. And she’s like, “that is why you need God, that’s why you need Christ and you need him as a savior because the payment for sin is death. That’s, that’s what we deserve as sinners. God can’t look upon sin because it is not a quality that he has”. It was difficult for me to say, “Well, how can I go to heaven because I definitely don’t want to go to hell (even though that is what I deserve)”. And every time I would ask my mom, “Well, how will I know when I’m convicted and I need to give my life to God, how will I know this? I know it’s something that I need to do, but how will I know the timing?” And her reply was, “You will know, you will be convicted, you will be burdened with that idea. And with that feeling of needing redemption”. And I kind of feel like I knew I needed to dedicate and give my life to God probably long before I did because I felt like I didn’t know how to do that.

Person #2:

As a reminder, this person is in a Masters program for Chemistry. Everything below is demonstrably wrong and shows that he just pulled these facts from creationist literature. This also serves as a perfect example of an educated creationist stepping well outside of their area of expertise--in his case, pharmaceutical drug research--to comment on things that they know zero about, such as physics, astrophysics, chemical evolution, and biological evolution. Based on the reactions of those in the group, I get the feeling that he was trying to bolster an image as the "sciencey" one of the bunch.

Don't worry, I explained to my friend step-by-step how each of the statements are wrong. For example, in the second sentence, he confuses the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics with the Law of the Conservation of Energy. It's all down hill from there. There are too many things wrong with the dialogue to highlight everything.

Quote:No. Actually, the Theory of Evolution breaks multiple scientific laws . I can go into that if you want me too. There is a law created by Isaac Newton known as the Second Law of Thermodynamics that matter can neither be created or destroyed . However, for the Big Bang Theory to occur, all matter in the universe would have to be spontaneously created . Another reason is that for the original life in the “primordial ooze”—and I’m saying that in quotation marks for your recording—there was a random nucleotide conversion that created almost an organic reaction that eventually became the DNA of the original cell. However, for cells to translate their DNA, they require something called a ribosome, which is a protein, so you can’t use RNA to create a protein without the protein originally , so I believe that God created them all simultaneously because, otherwise, none of it would be possible. Also, for life to exist on earth is a zero probability. Because the percentage or oxygen or nitrogen or carbon in the atmosphere was 0.1 percent more or less, all life on this planet would die . If the degree of orbit for earth was plus or minus one degree in either axial tilt or the radius around the sun, it would be too hot or too cold for life to occur. If we didn’t have the exact magnetic composition of the atmosphere, the sun would kill us . The sun is one of the lowest solar emitters of solar radiation of any star in the sky that’s known. It’s just every single one of these would have to be a random occurrence and the statistical probability of this happening is zero .

I wish I could say I never identified with Person number 1. But, it is also how I was raised. I obsessed about sin all the time. I am just so happy to get out from under all of that and see things clearly.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Congratulations on graduating!

Person #1 has undergone religion-induced psychological abuse. Even if he/she deconverts, could potentially have PTSD. Religion is good for you???

Person #2 is in grad school in chemistry? The statement is almost complete incomprehensible rubbish. Is this person on the master's track because they were booted out of the Ph.D. track do to complete and utter ignorance?
Find all posts by this user
19-05-2015, 01:05 PM
(19-05-2015 11:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I wish I could say I never identified with Person number 1. But, it is also how I was raised. I obsessed about sin all the time. I am just so happy to get out from under all of that and see things clearly.

I'm glad that you came to such a realization.

(19-05-2015 12:21 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Congratulations on graduating!

Person #1 has undergone religion-induced psychological abuse. Even if he/she deconverts, could potentially have PTSD. Religion is good for you???

Person #2 is in grad school in chemistry? The statement is almost complete incomprehensible rubbish. Is this person on the master's track because they were booted out of the Ph.D. track do to complete and utter ignorance?

The only chemistry track person I personally know got a masters before moving onto their PhD. Then again, they were focusing on chemistry education. I guess it depends on what area of chemistry you are focusing on. Like I mentioned before, the second person was doing pharmaceutical research. Someone aiming for academia might do a program that takes them directly from their BS to a PhD.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user