Bad Human Inherent Behavior

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Bad Human Inherent Behavior
Growing up as a Humanist, I was taught the concept of humans being neither inherently bad or good. Throughout my short time on Earth, I am starting to think humans are indeed inherently bad, violent animals, with no hope of a good future. Chimpanzees, our close relative, is regarded as a very violent animal with members of its own species, very similar to humans. While another primate, the bonobo, is a very pacifist like animal. I have read articles claiming each species evolved on separate sides of the Congo River. Chimpanzees evolved on the side with low availability of resources, and the bonobo on the side with abundant resources. Hence, the violence and non-sharing attitude of chimps v the altruism and compassion of the bonobos. I would imagine humans developed our aggressive behavior in the same manner. My question is as follows: Has evolution ill - equipped humans for long term survival? If so, has the halting of natural selection in humans doomed our ability to develop a truly altruistic society, which will ultimately cause our species to go extinct? If humans have evolved with the strong altruistic traits of the bonobo primate, would we have become as intelligent and advanced as we are now? Is violence a requirement for the development of high intelligence in animals? I welcome any opinions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2015, 08:20 PM
RE: Bad Human Inherent Behavior
I don't think natural selection in humans has halted, if we survive long enough we could become very different.
Something that differs greatly in the comparison of chimps to humans is intelligence. Humans better understand their behavior and are able to correct it accordingly.
08-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Humans are no longer required to compete with each other for survival. I think this would stop the passing of superior genes to our offspring, and allow passing of both good and bad traits? I think humans have reached a peak of evolution, and our next step will be through the incorporation of technology into our biology. That is if we reach this "next level". But when I look at how advanced we are, yet how much religious conflict, war over resources, etc..., it leads me to a conclusion of a high possibility of extinction for us.
08-05-2015, 08:35 PM
The chimps had to deal with more competition for the same resources as they had Gorillas in the areas as well which made them need to be competitive.

We've come to make some aggressive decisions but without it, we might not have survived as well to alter the world. That element of humanity may be what helps drive humans to have a stronger desire to search the world and solar system for escapes from a species demise.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
08-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Quote:Humans are no longer required to compete with each other for survival.

This depends on which part of the world you live in.

There are still plenty of behavioral traits that need work, we just haven't been around long enough to see what's next.
08-05-2015, 09:14 PM
(08-05-2015 08:31 PM)Timj Wrote:  Humans are no longer required to compete with each other for survival. I think this would stop the passing of superior genes to our offspring, and allow passing of both good and bad traits? I think humans have reached a peak of evolution, and our next step will be through the incorporation of technology into our biology. That is if we reach this "next level". But when I look at how advanced we are, yet how much religious conflict, war over resources, etc..., it leads me to a conclusion of a high possibility of extinction for us.

Really?

So why is there so much emphasis on competing to be wealthy and/or beautiful?

Define "superior", please. This assumes an objective goal.

War is not the problem. A reduced global head-count reduces consumption. Extinction is more likely to result from our immutable financial systems... the drive for wealth ... the shareholder system... deliberate blindness to climate change.

Depressing, isn't it.

Sad

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
08-05-2015, 09:33 PM
When I speak of superior traits, I am mostly speaking of intellect. In the past, I sure this trait would have been passed much more often, as it is very important to survival in a pre-modern world. However, studies now suggest that more intelligent humans have a much lower rate of childbirth. The drive for wealth or being wealthy does not change natural selection, in my opinion. It is possible to be very poor, yet continue to have a high rate of childbirth, passing on genes. This would have not been possible in a prehistoric society. Without wealth (food in that time), one would die. I agree that our aggressiveness is a cause for our development of superior intellect. Which makes me ponder, is this why we have not detected other intelligent life in the Milky Way? Does the development of intelligence in animals doom them to extinction, regardless of where they developed?
08-05-2015, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 09:45 PM by Timj.)
When it comes to not having beauty, nothing in nature prevents the passing of those genes as well. Maybe in our modern society, humans have become more docile due to the modern prison system. This may prevent the passing of "bad behavior" traits to offspring.
08-05-2015, 09:59 PM
(08-05-2015 09:33 PM)Timj Wrote:  When I speak of superior traits, I am mostly speaking of intellect. In the past, I sure this trait would have been passed much more often, as it is very important to survival in a pre-modern world. However, studies now suggest that more intelligent humans have a much lower rate of childbirth. The drive for wealth or being wealthy does not change natural selection, in my opinion. It is possible to be very poor, yet continue to have a high rate of childbirth, passing on genes. This would have not been possible in a prehistoric society. Without wealth (food in that time), one would die. I agree that our aggressiveness is a cause for our development of superior intellect. Which makes me ponder, is this why we have not detected other intelligent life in the Milky Way? Does the development of intelligence in animals doom them to extinction, regardless of where they developed?

What studies ? The birthrate, and survival until ability to pass on genes are not the same.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Nature or nurture?
Is behavior an unchangeable genetic trait (long term), or can it be changed through environment? (short term)

We can't possibly say that we have reached the end of our evolutionary process with such a short view of it.
Maybe if we had a few million years of human history to look back on, we could make a better assessment.
Even if we were to kill ourselves off through war, that doesn't mean the process wouldn't have continued.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post