Bad Human Inherent Behavior

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2015, 12:54 PM
RE: Bad Human Inherent Behavior
(09-05-2015 12:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That is irrational. Humans were well aware of the horrific effects of atomic power, and so far avoided them, after WWII. Generalizing from that to something "more dire" just because it might be available, in light of the fact that humans did not use (much) atomic power, is not reasonable.

Just a few years after development of atomic bombs, we came very close to nuclear war. Thankfully the actions of a Soviet naval officer came to his senses. Now nations are developing nuclear weapons one after another. Modern technology makes this very easy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2015, 12:59 PM
(09-05-2015 12:54 PM)Timj Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 12:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That is irrational. Humans were well aware of the horrific effects of atomic power, and so far avoided them, after WWII. Generalizing from that to something "more dire" just because it might be available, in light of the fact that humans did not use (much) atomic power, is not reasonable.

Just a few years after development of atomic bombs, we came very close to nuclear war. Thankfully the actions of a Soviet naval officer came to his senses. Now nations are developing nuclear weapons one after another. The technology makes this very easy.

You know there are significantly less nuclear weapons existing right now than there were in those times right? The rate is more decreasing and the ability for them to be acquired is a frequent world wide discussion.

When brains alter in shape, they don't necessarily alter all the same areas equally. Parts of it might be less connected to function in other ways they were used in the past. It doesn't insinuate intelligence loss. Like creatures in the that evolved to function without sight or that case in other areas of the world, typically have an altered area of the brains that their fellow evolutionary creatures use for sight in some way.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-05-2015, 01:06 PM
I would say having several thousand active warheads, ICBM's and SLBM's on hair trigger alert, and the number of warheads in the Middle East and Asia growing each decade would pose a serious and plausible risk to the world.
09-05-2015, 01:09 PM
(09-05-2015 12:44 PM)Timj Wrote:  I am curious what kind of advantage of loosing wisdom teeth would give humans to the ability to pass the genes to offspring. Maybe infections at a young age, resulting in death within countries with no access to oral surgery. The most interesting thing I have read in regards to our most recent evolution, is our decreased brain size. I wonder if we was once smarter than we are now, or if our brains work more efficiently now. I have read somewhere that our brain size has reached a limit due to the size of the pelvis. Unless it is favored (which it is) and becomes larger.

Intelligence is not determined by the size of the brain alone. The size of the brain in relation to the body is what scientists look at. Over the last 20,000 years our skeletal structure has decreased in size in tandem with our brain. What is evident is that average IQs have risen, and while IQs can only be taken with a grain of salt regarding intelligence, it is at least somewhat indicative of a massive improvement in our problem-solving abilities.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
09-05-2015, 01:12 PM
In argument of my previous view, nuclear weapons have promoted peace and the chance of not having another global war in the world.
09-05-2015, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 01:54 PM by Timj.)
(09-05-2015 01:09 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Intelligence is not determined by the size of the brain alone. The size of the brain in relation to the body is what scientists look at. Over the last 20,000 years our skeletal structure has decreased in size in tandem with our brain. What is evident is that average IQs have risen, and while IQs can only be taken with a grain of salt regarding intelligence, it is at least somewhat indicative of a massive improvement in our problem-solving abilities.

In the last 10,000 years, our brains have indeed shrank, when compared to body size. I think the hypothesis behind this was less nutrition from agricultural societies. Recently a small rebound has occurred in the recent past. I am not sure which part of the skull changed. I have read it was areas contributing to problem solving and cognitive function. Prefrontal cortex? This has evolutionary scientists baffled.
09-05-2015, 01:53 PM
(09-05-2015 01:23 PM)Timj Wrote:  In the last 10,000 years, our brains have indeed shrank, when compared to body size. I think the hypothesis behind this was less nutrition from agricultural societies. Recently a small rebound has occurred in the recent past. I am not sure which part of the skull changed. I have read it was areas contributing to problem solving and cognitive function. Prefrontal cortex?

No, the hominid skeletal structure has been decreasing for over 10 million years, which is during a period in which our brain size was more than three times larger than it is now. If you are referring to the Scientific American article and a singular Chinese study concerning neurological molds, which I have already read, then maybe (I want more studies conducted). Most scientists agree it is due to our skeletal structure decreasing. Some think that the inefficient computing speeds of a larger brain have been a contributing factor, but there isn't really any evidence to prove that hypothesis.

09-05-2015, 02:33 PM
(09-05-2015 01:53 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  No, the hominid skeletal structure has been decreasing for over 10 million years, which is during a period in which our brain size was more than three times larger than it is now. If you are referring to the Scientific American article and a singular Chinese study concerning neurological molds, which I have already read, then maybe (I want more studies conducted). Most scientists agree it is due to our skeletal structure decreasing. Some think that the inefficient computing speeds of a larger brain have been a contributing factor, but there isn't really any evidence to prove that hypothesis.

I agree, I think more research needs to be completed. Although, the study is very spooky. If our brain size is rebounding, then maybe we were more intelligent in the past. I would have to subscribe to the theory of more efficient wiring. I guess most living things evolve as efficiently as possible, in order to use less energy. Makes me ponder if we once had cavemen with IQ's of 180 running around, which I think is highly unlikely.
09-05-2015, 03:01 PM
(09-05-2015 02:33 PM)Timj Wrote:  I agree, I think more research needs to be completed. Although, the study is very spooky. If our brain size is rebounding, then maybe we were more intelligent in the past. I would have to subscribe to the theory of more efficient wiring. I guess most living things evolve as efficiently as possible, in order to use less energy. Makes me ponder if we once had cavemen with IQ's of 180 running around, which I think is highly unlikely.

Yes and no. Larger brains require more energy. One of the many contributors to the downfall of the Neanderthals, for example, was that their brain was so large compared to their body, that they were unable to remedy their energy defecate. You also have to look at the different portions of the brain. Is the temporal lobe being affected by the decrease in size? I have read from numerous commentaries for this study that one of the contributing factors is actually the decrease in size of the ocular cortex.

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
09-05-2015, 03:53 PM
(09-05-2015 03:01 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Yes and no. Larger brains require more energy. One of the many contributors to the downfall of the Neanderthals, for example, was that their brain was so large compared to their body, that they were unable to remedy their energy defecate. You also have to look at the different portions of the brain. Is the temporal lobe being affected by the decrease in size? I have read from numerous commentaries for this study that one of the contributing factors is actually the decrease in size of the ocular cortex.

That is what I was suggesting, our brains decreased in size from the lack of nutrition over the last 10k years. Slowly it has rebounded with modern diets and abundance of nutrients. It would probably be difficult to deduce which part of the brain shrank, as parts of the brain could have become more compact and compressible. Neanderthals were shorter, but actually had more massive bodies than humans, which would require a larger part of the brain for motor control. I think they had larger eye sockets, which would require a larger occipital lobe. Probably what the extra "neanderthal bun" was used for in the occipital lobe.