Bad chain of events- slight vent.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Bad chain of events- slight vent.
So, today in the community I live in there was a series of unfortunate events that took place that I think only I witnessed.

A couple neighbourhoods over from my place there is this busy main road with shops and other delights all along it. This morning a cyclist was travelling down the road and through a misjudgement and bad timing (they've investigated, and released the details which is maybe part of the horrific feelings I have because I can 'picture' it a little more) he was killed in traffic. This in itself, of course, is horrifying news. I've walked this street millions of times and when something close to home happens like this, it certainly shakes a community.

Well, on this particular block is a cupcake shop. The block had been shut down all morning as the police investigated this tragedy. I am on this shop's Facebook page so in my newsfeed their status scrolled by. It read, "I've baked dozens of cupcakes from my home this morning and am unable to sell them from my shop as it is inaccessible. Can my fans please send me their favourite business and we will spend the morning delivering free cupcakes".

Well, a couple of hours later I go on FB again and start scrolling. A lady (who is constantly praising, etc, on FB) I know on my feed had a status that read, "Oh thank God! I had a meeting today with no food prepared like I usual do and (insert business name) surprised us out of no where with free cupcakes! It all worked out perfectly!"

This just blew me away. At first I just blew this off as the regular eye roll I mentally give myself when I see people claim how they felt God helped them out. But as the hours passed today my stomach has been in knots. Especially when I kept hearing from people about the details of this person who'd passed away. Male. Twenty-one. Etc. And then I think about the driver who'd be devastated. It was not his fault, they've revealed. But the pile of emotions- if I had just waited, if I had given a honk- or whatever- that are probably going through his head now. And here, Thank God some cupcakes were delivered for a meeting.

I dunno. I'm sure if FB lady knew why, and maybe she'll find out, she wouldn't have posted that. But... the whole concept unfolded for me on a personal and close to home level today and it kinda shook me a little. Ick!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
28-08-2012, 12:42 AM
RE: Bad chain of events- slight vent.
Wow Confused
28-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Try not to let it trouble you too much LJ - sometimes, I feel like I see too much, too.

Still, I can't believe she wouldn't have known why her place was inaccessible... that's kind of an oddly, bitchy thing for her to publicly post. I often wonder about facebook and the insensitivity of some posts... people need to step outside and see themselves from another point of view. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Often a "Thank God!" is in response to something that, when thought through, is good for the thanker and bad for someone else. Your post is a great little "cupcake" that illustrates how it happens.

Hope you feel less icky soon.
28-08-2012, 06:50 AM
(28-08-2012 01:01 AM)kim Wrote:  Try not to let it trouble you too much LJ - sometimes, I feel like I see too much, too.

Still, I can't believe she wouldn't have known why her place was inaccessible... that's kind of an oddly, bitchy thing for her to publicly post. I often wonder about facebook and the insensitivity of some posts... people need to step outside and see themselves from another point of view. Undecided

No, it wasn't an insensitive cupcake lady, it was an insensitive/obtuse receiver of cupcake lady's generosity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Real answer:
Bad stuff happens. World wide there are approximately 113 deaths per minute. Tragic to be sure, but death happens. This motorcyclist is now a statistic as far as 7 billion people are concerned but, to a few (family, friends, and witnesses like Lady Jane) he's more than a statistic - he's a personal tragedy. I am not trying to make light of that for the OP or anyone else, but consider that in the same minute of his death, 112 other people also died without becoming a personal tragedy to Lady Jane. In light of that, I might suggest that it's needlessly stressful to impart too much importance to this one series of unfortunate events.

It's also important to realize that, to the bakery owner and to the thankful cupcake recipient, that motorcyclist is nothing more than a statistic and probably completely unknown to them - at least unknown to the person who thanked god for free cupcakes.

Christian answer:
Well, God works in mysterious ways and at least we got our free cupcakes. Besides, that motorcyclist has moved on to a better place unless he's a non-believer, in which case he's roasting in hell where he belongs.

(OK, I accept that that was excessively provocative but I actually know a few Christians who would - might - respond exactly like that).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
28-08-2012, 01:25 PM
I would have wrote to this "thank god" lady and said
"This is not a thank god moment. A young man who was only 21 yrs old died today from an unfortunate accident and that is why the cupcakes are being given away.
So ask yourself, are you really thankful that this young man died just so your event at work could go through as planned.
Is that how you imagine god working ? Causing a young man's death so you can get cupcakes ? Is that what you are thankful for ?
If so, I find your words repugnant and your religious belief horrific. It pains me to have once called you a friend."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-08-2012, 01:48 PM
(28-08-2012 06:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-08-2012 01:01 AM)kim Wrote:  Try not to let it trouble you too much LJ - sometimes, I feel like I see too much, too.

No, it wasn't an insensitive cupcake lady, it was an insensitive/obtuse receiver of cupcake lady's generosity.

Right I got it - ha - I should have clarified - "I can't believe she(facebook receiver of cupcakes) wouldn't have known why her(cupcake lady's) place was inaccessible... " Surely she would have known... it was all over town, yes? But hey - how awesome of God to think of her in her time of need! Thumbsup
What a bee-otch. Not a person I really want to hang with ... despite how ever many people god kills so she can have cupcakes. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein