Bad day for kitty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Bad day for kitty
What a shitty shitty day. I've been trying for a while to get my little wild cat to the vet. After much fighting, cursing, crying, and scratches, to get him in his carrier, I decided I'm not going to be able to do it. Even though I've been putting ornery cats into carriers my entire life. A local pet hospital agreed to do a house visit. It was me, the doctor, and her nurse with little kitty on the porch. And probably the worst hour of my life.

Just trying to get ahold of him so they could weigh him, give him shots, and get a blood sample was traumatic enough for me. My poor gentle sweet kitty Weeping they had to muzzle him because he was so scared he actually started lashing out. Ive never seen him try to hurt a person before. You only get a scratch as he's trying to flee, never as an attack. The yowling, growling, panting, he sounded like he was choking getting so worked up. Meanwhile I'm crying, and the vets are doing their best to keep ahold of him.

He got all of his shots, and his blood taken. Its done for now, but they say he'll need a booster in a few weeks. I don't know if I can go through this again Weeping

I know I'm doing the right thing for him, I just feel so bad for him. If he wouldn't fight so much it wouldn't be so traumatic for him, but now because the experience is traumatic he'll never get used to it. He's hiding under the bed. I hope he comes out for comfort soon, but I may not see him again until next week.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Smercury44's post
06-07-2015, 05:11 PM
RE: Bad day for kitty
He will Smile I have a wild cat too that grew up living on the city streets. It took a lot to get him to trust me. He does not like the vet and does not like to go in his carrier. When I finally do get him to the vet, he is pissed at me for a few days after, but then goes back to purring and being himself. You are doing the right thing for your cat even though it is hard to see him go through all of that.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
06-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear this.

Animals often hide away when they feel poorly. He'll come out when he feels a bit better. Give him some space and just be there when you can.

I hope all turns out well. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-07-2015, 05:16 PM
You know you are doing the right thing - kitty isn't so sure.

Good luck next week.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
06-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Re: Bad day for kitty
If he needs medical attention, that's that. They may not like it, they might be terrified, or angry, but you know you need to keep them healthy.

It's easy to get upset by their distress... but try to keep in mind that you're helping them out.

I caught a big ugly tom out of my small feral colony. He had a rotten infection eating up half his neck. I caught him in a live trap, and he refused to exit into a kennel. I had to transfer him with my pole- a PVC pipe with a rope threaded through like a noose. He hated it. Hissing, spitting, yowling... and I had to keep him confined for a couple weeks. He hated that. But he's still alive.
[+] 2 users Like mecanna's post
06-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Maybe get some new Mad Cat Handling Gloves?
[Image: $%28KGrHqV,!rkFBCQ81N+!BQ,UJHTViQ~~60_35.JPG]

I kid, Smerc! Hug Heart

[+] 5 users Like TheGulegon's post
06-07-2015, 06:02 PM
(06-07-2015 05:59 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Maybe get some new Mad Cat Handling Gloves?
[Image: $%28KGrHqV,!rkFBCQ81N+!BQ,UJHTViQ~~60_35.JPG]

I kid, Smerc! Hug Heart

Those look rather useful - my cat is all teeth an claws unless I am brushing him or giving him snacks. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
06-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Bad day for kitty
We had this tiny cat who was totally blind in one eye and partially blind in another. The condition that caused his blindness would flare up occasionally and we'd have to give him drops. Suffice to say seeing a towel set him like an MMA fighter. (He has since died, but he's still known at the vet.)

We asked the vet for cream instead, since we could sneak up on him. They said no, drops were better. We explained he's a fighter. They saw this little 8 pound kitty and thought nah.

They bring in the super towel used for animals. *ding*ding*ding* And in this corner...

Our little kitty dug his claws into the door frame. Deep. They had to remove his claws carefully. The marks are still there, a few years later. They brought him into the other exam room.

He wrecked the room. I'm talking all glass shattered, aluminum containers dented, clawed cabinet doors, and probably broke the trash can. Sounds of shit going everywhere, sounds like a hurricane. Three vets in there. They lost the fight. Head vet comes in and she's laughing. She's also applying pressure to bad cuts on her arm, while bleeding from other cuts. Her robe is ripped. Hm. The two male assistants are attending to their cuts.

They bring our cat back, and a huge dog cowers behind his human. Dog knew better than to engage eye contact with the hellion. My sister calms the kitty down.

She says, yeah, let's get you that cream. He's still a legend at the vet's.

Moral of the story: Even Satan's Tornado can be a loving cat. The cat may not trust you right now, but in some way kitty might know you mean well.
[+] 7 users Like Clockwork's post
06-07-2015, 06:16 PM
A cat I used to have caught kennel cough when we went out of town though he had the vaccine. He was at least half Siamese and all crazy. You haven't lived till you have tried to administer nose drops to a cat like that. Blink

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Our cat was fine at the vet until we boarded him for a vacation and he had a bad experience with a physical exam there. Ever since then, he acts just like your kitty when we take him in. He's fine at home, very loving and friendly, but he goes into a very strong and aggressive mode. Protective gloves nowhere near enough to handle him, and the vet says being that upset is bad for him.

Now when he goes to the vet, he gets gas immediately and then they do the exam. It costs about twice as much, but it really limits the amount of time he spends stressed and scared, and the gas just makes him a little quiet for an hour or two after the visit.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post