Bad day for kitty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2015, 06:54 PM
RE: Bad day for kitty
(06-07-2015 05:06 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  What a shitty shitty day. I've been trying for a while to get my little wild cat to the vet. After much fighting, cursing, crying, and scratches, to get him in his carrier, I decided I'm not going to be able to do it. Even though I've been putting ornery cats into carriers my entire life. A local pet hospital agreed to do a house visit. It was me, the doctor, and her nurse with little kitty on the porch. And probably the worst hour of my life.

Just trying to get ahold of him so they could weigh him, give him shots, and get a blood sample was traumatic enough for me. My poor gentle sweet kitty Weeping they had to muzzle him because he was so scared he actually started lashing out. Ive never seen him try to hurt a person before. You only get a scratch as he's trying to flee, never as an attack. The yowling, growling, panting, he sounded like he was choking getting so worked up. Meanwhile I'm crying, and the vets are doing their best to keep ahold of him.

He got all of his shots, and his blood taken. Its done for now, but they say he'll need a booster in a few weeks. I don't know if I can go through this again Weeping

I know I'm doing the right thing for him, I just feel so bad for him. If he wouldn't fight so much it wouldn't be so traumatic for him, but now because the experience is traumatic he'll never get used to it. He's hiding under the bed. I hope he comes out for comfort soon, but I may not see him again until next week.

I feel you. Hug

My forever kitty hated the vet until the very end.

But 364 days he was best kitty ever.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-07-2015, 07:05 PM
That's tough Smerc, sorry.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
06-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Three hours later, he's still under the bed, and our big kitty is just walking around hissing and growling at everything even though they didn't even touch him. I think the smell of fear, strange people, and medicine has him spooked. Not making for a comforting environment to encourage little kitty out from under the bed. Undecided

(06-07-2015 06:26 PM)julep Wrote:  Our cat was fine at the vet until we boarded him for a vacation and he had a bad experience with a physical exam there. Ever since then, he acts just like your kitty when we take him in. He's fine at home, very loving and friendly, but he goes into a very strong and aggressive mode. Protective gloves nowhere near enough to handle him, and the vet says being that upset is bad for him.

Now when he goes to the vet, he gets gas immediately and then they do the exam. It costs about twice as much, but it really limits the amount of time he spends stressed and scared, and the gas just makes him a little quiet for an hour or two after the visit.

I wish the vets could do something like that to calm him. Last weekend when I tried to get him in the carrier he hurt one of his paws. He's been limping pretty bad on it since then. I told them about it, but it was such a harrowing experience I think we all forgot to check it. I can't imagine that the wrestling match and him flying all over the porch and climbing the walls, bashing into windows trying to escape helped. They never offer anything like that though.

I don't know what I'll do if there's something seriously wrong with him. Ugh, awful awful day.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
06-07-2015, 07:16 PM
(06-07-2015 07:12 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Thanks everyone. Three hours later, he's still under the bed, and our big kitty is just walking around hissing and growling at everything even though they didn't even touch him. I think the smell of fear, strange people, and medicine has him spooked. Not making for a comforting environment to encourage little kitty out from under the bed. Undecided

(06-07-2015 06:26 PM)julep Wrote:  Our cat was fine at the vet until we boarded him for a vacation and he had a bad experience with a physical exam there. Ever since then, he acts just like your kitty when we take him in. He's fine at home, very loving and friendly, but he goes into a very strong and aggressive mode. Protective gloves nowhere near enough to handle him, and the vet says being that upset is bad for him.

Now when he goes to the vet, he gets gas immediately and then they do the exam. It costs about twice as much, but it really limits the amount of time he spends stressed and scared, and the gas just makes him a little quiet for an hour or two after the visit.

I wish the vets could do something like that to calm him. Last weekend when I tried to get him in the carrier he hurt one of his paws. He's been limping pretty bad on it since then. I told them about it, but it was such a harrowing experience I think we all forgot to check it. I can't imagine that the wrestling match and him flying all over the porch and climbing the walls, bashing into windows trying to escape helped. They never offer anything like that though.

I don't know what I'll do if there's something seriously wrong with him. Ugh, awful awful day.

Cats are touchier when it comes to any kind of sedation than dogs. However, in this case it may be warranted to get something to at least calm him down a notch.

Give him some time, right now he is where he feels safe.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Re: Bad day for kitty
There are OTC calming products for cats. Pheromone stuff, or drops you sneak in their food.

Now we need pictures of the Kitty under discussion. Smile
06-07-2015, 07:19 PM
(06-07-2015 07:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 07:12 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Thanks everyone. Three hours later, he's still under the bed, and our big kitty is just walking around hissing and growling at everything even though they didn't even touch him. I think the smell of fear, strange people, and medicine has him spooked. Not making for a comforting environment to encourage little kitty out from under the bed. Undecided

Cats are touchier when it comes to any kind of sedation than dogs. However, in this case it may be warranted to get something to at least calm him down a notch.

Give him some time, right now he is where he feels safe.

I know Undecided which is why I haven't asked, but I think you're right that it might be warranted. Not knock him out, just... Calm him a little. If the alternative is that he ends up with broken bones... *sigh*

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
06-07-2015, 07:21 PM
(06-07-2015 07:19 PM)mecanna Wrote:  There are OTC calming products for cats. Pheromone stuff, or drops you sneak in their food.

Now we need pictures of the Kitty under discussion. Smile

Here's my little Dash kitty Heart
[Image: Ikus9X8.jpg]

[+] 11 users Like Smercury44's post
06-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Re: Bad day for kitty
Aww, so cute and evil!
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
06-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Smerc, your kitty looks soooo very sweet. Sad