Bad day for kitty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2015, 08:35 AM
RE: Bad day for kitty
I'm glad your story has a happy ending, Merc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
12-07-2015, 01:57 PM
I'm so sorry. I'm a vet, and we deal with thus scenario. It's tough for the cat, owners, and vets. The poor cats are convinced these people are straight from hell, and that they mean to harm them. They are literally fighting for their lives, and can't be calmed once worked up.

Now, it's a matter of getting him to associate people and the carrier with something positive. Get a new carrier that looks nothing like the old one, spray it with pheromone spray such as Fel-I-Way, then leave it out with the door open, and some of,his favorite treats. Do this several times a day until he walks in voluntarily, then try shutting the door for a,few seconds. Once he's used to that, carry it around the house with him in it, give a treat, then let him out. Then add a short car ride (not,to the vet) The point is to make him not associate the carrier with vets.

Ask about oral sedatives to give before the visit. Ask if the vet can come by just to sit and give treats but not do anything. You will have to pay for their time of course. Ask if they can use towels to wrap him in. So me find those less scary than hands or gloves. Good luck!
[+] 5 users Like beeglez's post
12-07-2015, 03:49 PM
(12-07-2015 01:57 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I'm so sorry. I'm a vet, and we deal with thus scenario. It's tough for the cat, owners, and vets. The poor cats are convinced these people are straight from hell, and that they mean to harm them. They are literally fighting for their lives, and can't be calmed once worked up.

Now, it's a matter of getting him to associate people and the carrier with something positive. Get a new carrier that looks nothing like the old one, spray it with pheromone spray such as Fel-I-Way, then leave it out with the door open, and some of,his favorite treats. Do this several times a day until he walks in voluntarily, then try shutting the door for a,few seconds. Once he's used to that, carry it around the house with him in it, give a treat, then let him out. Then add a short car ride (not,to the vet) The point is to make him not associate the carrier with vets.

Ask about oral sedatives to give before the visit. Ask if the vet can come by just to sit and give treats but not do anything. You will have to pay for their time of course. Ask if they can use towels to wrap him in. So me find those less scary than hands or gloves. Good luck!

Can feral cats be tamed, Doc?

#sigh
12-07-2015, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 04:03 PM by Smercury44.)
(12-07-2015 01:57 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I'm so sorry. I'm a vet, and we deal with thus scenario. It's tough for the cat, owners, and vets. The poor cats are convinced these people are straight from hell, and that they mean to harm them. They are literally fighting for their lives, and can't be calmed once worked up.

That's on my to-do list. A brand new carrier, something very roomy with a top that opens too.

The tough thing is treats. I've never found a treat he likes Undecided he eats his food no problem, but sometimes even tuna holds no interest for him.

The vet did offer to sell me some calming treats that might help him for next time. They have to come back in a couple of weeks for his leukemia vaccine booster and some more blood. His kidney and liver blood test didn't come out right, it was a malfunction or something. I just worry how I'll convince him to eat the treats.

Girly - a feral can usually be 'tamed' if you get them to socialize with people at an early age. We caught our little guy when he was about 6 months. He's wonderful with just me and my husband. A normal cat if not a bit shy. He just absolutely will not tolerate other people, or being corralled/forced to do something he doesn't want to do.

It gets harder if not close to impossible to tame a ferral that has lived a couple of years without any human socialization. Best option at that point is to try and trap, neuter, release to help control the feral population in a neighborhood.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
12-07-2015, 04:06 PM
(12-07-2015 03:59 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  The tough thing is treats. I've never found a treat he likes Undecided he eats his food no problem, but sometimes even tuna holds no interest for him.

Would catnip all over the carrier's inside help? I've never actually bought the stuff for any of my cats!

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
12-07-2015, 04:08 PM
(12-07-2015 03:59 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  The tough thing is treats. I've never found a treat he likes Undecided he eats his food no problem, but sometimes even tuna holds no interest for him.

Have you tried anchovies or sardines? Bet that would work.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-07-2015, 06:27 PM
(12-07-2015 03:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 01:57 PM)beeglez Wrote:  

Can feral cats be tamed, Doc?

Some can, not all. It takes time and patience for them to trust people if they were not exposed at an early age. They have a critical socialization window around 6-12 weeks of age where they learn to accept humans or whatever else they are exposed to. Anything new after that age is harder.
[+] 2 users Like beeglez's post
12-07-2015, 06:31 PM
(12-07-2015 04:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  [quote='Smercury44' pid='812557' dateline='1436738341']The tough thing is treats. I've never found a treat he likes Undecided he eats his food no problem, but sometimes even tuna holds no interest for him.

Favorite toys can work too. If he really likes his regular cat food, try feeding him meals in or near the carrier. I leave my carriers out all the time, and my cats occasionally sleep in them. They still hate it when I put them in to go to work, but they 'forgive' it, and will continue to sleep in it after they get back home
[+] 2 users Like beeglez's post
12-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Lots of good tips. Thank you beeglez, girlyman, and Guley!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
13-07-2015, 12:32 AM
(07-07-2015 08:48 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Blush I found a kitty!! Big Grin Heart

[Image: 0bKu12k.jpg]

Hug

Yay!

Heart

Much cheers to all.