Bad in the bible is the devil talking as if he were god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Bad in the bible is the devil talking as if he were god
This is one of the big things I've heard in the past with believers--that whenever something bad happened or was said, it wasn't god saying it, it was the devil masquerading as god.

Examples:
- god never asked Abraham to sacrifice his son, it was the devil who wanted and told him to do so--then god stepped in and offered an animal instead to thwart the devil's plan
- god never allowed anything bad to happen to Job, it was the devil playing both god and the devil
- whenever god "played dumb" (i.e. asked a question he should've known if he were god) it was actually the devil, then god kicked the devil back and took over the conversation once good things happened (but if bad things were said, it was the devil throughout)

I was just wondering if others have heard anyone say this type of thing before, and what they have said or what can be done to refute it if anything. I asked one person something like "so you're saying the old testament is about Satan, and the new testament is about God?" which only got a reply along the lines of parts are, and you have to read carefully and interpret to figure out which is god and which is Satan--as Satan's tricky.

There's a number of things wrong with this, but everything I can think of would be disputed by the person as the famous "god works in mysterious ways" or perhaps "you just misinterpreted it".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
07-04-2012, 03:59 PM
RE: Bad in the bible is the devil talking as if he were god
Presenting rational argument to the irrational again?
It's like beating your head against the wall. It only feels good when you stop.
We can just stand back and laugh at the insanity. Laughat

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM
thats the gnostic version...the old testament god was considered the "demiurge"

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes reverendjeremiah's post
07-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Well, Yahweh was orignally just a war god in a pagan religion if I'm not mistaken, so it shouldn't come as a shock to the educated. However, the un-educated...

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.