Bad skepticism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Bad skepticism?
I was watching that "reality" TV show about psychic children on the biography channel today. Mostly just for the laughs, but also just because I find it funny when multiple psychics try to work together.

Anyway, this kid, around twelve years old, claimed to be psychic. His stepfather, however, claims to be a skeptic. The only evidence the kid could produce for his abilities was, "I swear dad, I saw it!". The stepfather, like any good skeptic, didn't buy it. He wasn't rude or in-your-face about it either. He honestly didn't want to hurt his stepson's feelings. He never claim out-right disbelief, but he would say things like, "Yeah, maybe he does have a gift, or maybe he has an active imagination."

He was portrayed as the antagonist. All though the show, they talked about skeptics as though we are people to run and hide from(probably true if said psychic is full of it). I found it interesting, because the idea of skepticism is not to deny everything supernatural, but to question it before accepting. If the kid really had psychic powers, then all he should have to do to convince his stepfather is talk to some ghost, get information that he wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

At the end, they of course tried to talk him into believing his stepson for absolutely no reason. The stepfather then claimed to have seen a ghost, and it has shown him the folly of his silly ways of questioning and lacking blind faith.

The whole show seemed somewhat rigged, but regardless, I think it reflects many psychics' fear of skepticism. They did a classic cold-reading during the show, which only works if you go into it believing it works. If someone stops and thinks about things, they realize that all evidence of their powers is purely circumstantial, at best.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2010, 03:01 AM

RE: Bad skepticism?
My guess is that womens breasts are WAY more sexualized than mens.I recently had a conversation with an employee of a lutheran kindergarten, where she was harping about a colleague who arrantly took pleasure in wearing a spaghetti top.
Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2010, 07:23 AM

(29-07-2010 03:01 AM)hipertogbog Wrote:  My guess is that womens breasts are WAY more sexualized than mens.I recently had a conversation with an employee of a lutheran kindergarten, where she was harping about a colleague who arrantly took pleasure in wearing a spaghetti top.

Best bot post ever?
29-07-2010, 07:32 AM

(29-07-2010 07:23 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  
(29-07-2010 03:01 AM)hipertogbog Wrote:  My guess is that womens breasts are WAY more sexualized than mens.I recently had a conversation with an employee of a lutheran kindergarten, where she was harping about a colleague who arrantly took pleasure in wearing a spaghetti top.

Best bot post ever?

LOL I had to go back to the top and reread the original post to see if I missed something about breasts. Anyways, I respect the stepfathers position and would be very skeptical myself but adding that he saw a ghost did nothing for his position lol. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot in the eyes of the "psychics".
29-07-2010, 09:00 AM
i watched a few minutes of a similar show with some children hearing voices and seeing dead people wearing clothing. their parents and some adult psychic were discussing how the children are always told theyre mentally ill and hallucinating, even though they were just hearing the voices of the spirits from the spirit world and seeing the haunting ghosts... ''the voices you hear are real'', i would never tell that to anyone who really hallucinates.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
29-07-2010, 09:24 AM
(29-07-2010 03:01 AM)hipertogbog Wrote:  My guess is that womens breasts are WAY more sexualized than mens.

No shit sherlock.

Now for the topic at hand...

I love those psychic shows because all the viewer sees is the faces of people saying they can do and feel and hear all these things with absolutely no evidence that it is actually happening.

I'd like to strap one of those people in to all kinds of machinery, the kind you use when taking a physical for example to measure heart rate, as well as things to measure temperature and brain waves and all that, just to see how their body is reacting to these "ghosts" and such.

Of course, they'd never agree to this because then we could explain away all their "magic" Big Grin