Bad things about Free Will?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Thumbs Down Bad things about Free Will?
I was wondering what is bad about free will. I am debating with this guy about free will and the fall of Adam and Eve(Honestly I can't bothered but I thought it might help me)
*sigh*
This all too confusing! Free Will can be such a head turner.
Anyway, why does God punish us for exercising our free will?

Why did God create the serpent and why did he create it with the capacity for speech?
If God is omniscient, he knew what was going to happen.
God desired that his will would be disobeyed but he allowed Adam and Eve to be tempted. God is supposed to be in control of everything this only indicates that God is cruel and predestined the fall of man.
I searched everywhere to say why God gave us free will. The one that kept coming up is God didn't want us to be robots. We are allowed to exercise out free will but beware of the consequence. For example if you don't believe in God, you will got to hell.

This is what I wrote:
Quote:If you say so. I really don't care the subject of free will. I believe I make that choice because I want to myself make that choice. God didn't give me a will to choose for myself.I did(If this makes any sense) I am an atheist and if the Christian God was real, I would go to Hell for exercising my free will.

1) How do you know nothing bad will happen? What if a there was a rock but you didn't see it? So many thing can happen if you driving 100mph.
Our choices are all based on the circumstances, our behavior and our character. People who had a good lifestyle would be successful but other factors can hinder that. Anything can hinder that.
If you are weak and afraid of pain and is confronted by bully, you choose to back down. It's not your free will, it's your survival instinct and natural thought process telling to back down, you know you can't win.

You either believe in God or got to Hell. It clearly says that.
If God is omniscient, then he knows what are our paths that is already set out for us. That means if we can't change what is going to happen(he will know already)then it is not free will. It could be totally random, although God would have already known that was happen, meaning it was not of our free will, but always going to happen.
IS IT GUD ENOUGH?

I don't know how you people do it? Write lengthy paragraphs, think, research,
It's too tiring.Confused
Practice makes it perfect.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like tazmin98's post
27-01-2012, 09:04 PM
RE: Bad things about Free Will?
Didn't Libet debunk "free will" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4nwTTmcgs

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-01-2012, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 09:36 PM by Logisch.)
(27-01-2012 09:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Didn't Libet debunk "free will" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4nwTTmcgs

Good vid Bucky - I'd be interested to see how neuroscience digs further into it as time progresses.
27-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I stopped believing in free will (at least in the traditional sense of the word) as I learned about computer science and game programming.

I realized our brains are really complex computers. A "decision" is when a photon strikes a receptor in the eye, a nerve impulse travels down a predetermined path and eventually exits and travels back down to a muscle or two somewhere. Everything I do is the result of my genetic makeup and the experiences that formed the pathways (memories) the impulse traveled upon. Right now, the photons striking the sensors in my eye from the computer screen generate impulses that travel around for a bit and come out to the muscles in my fingers that type my response. Granted, this is a gross simplification, but you get the idea.
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
27-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Errrr, did my first post get deleted?
27-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Not that I can see. You so crazy

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
27-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I think it was user error. I am crazy. Looks like I must have edited my first reply and deleted the original contents out, quoting bucky. Oh well.
29-01-2012, 03:51 PM
(27-01-2012 11:17 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Not that I can see. You so crazy
Lucradis your icon freaks me out!

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
29-01-2012, 07:55 PM
(27-01-2012 09:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Didn't Libet debunk "free will" ?

Debunked isn't right. Brought into question is more like it. Churchland found the apparent implication of retrocausation bizarre and intolerable. Don't know how she feels about that now since Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment has been validated experimentally. And the fact that we are able to anticipate more and more in advance only increases the light on the question. "As of 2008, the upcoming outcome of a decision could be found in study of the brain activity in the prefrontal and parietal cortex up to 7 seconds before the subject was aware of their decision."

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Yep. Gotta take a break here. I know nothing about this anime - I just like Rush. Blush

Enjoy. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.