Bad things about Free Will?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2012, 10:19 PM
RE: Bad things about Free Will?
(29-01-2012 07:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-01-2012 09:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Didn't Libet debunk "free will" ?

Debunked isn't right. Brought into question is more like it. Churchland found the apparent implication of retrocausation bizarre and intolerable. Don't know how she feels about that now since Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment has been validated experimentally. And the fact that we are able to anticipate more and more in advance only increases the light on the question. "As of 2008, the upcoming outcome of a decision could be found in study of the brain activity in the prefrontal and parietal cortex up to 7 seconds before the subject was aware of their decision."
Hey GM,
Wheeler's Delayed Choice experiment, (re quanyum systems/double slit manipulation), does not apply to macro systems, as I understand it. Also, if the particle does indeed follow every possible path, (which some people now propose), (which he did not address), it would change the experiment. Yes ? No ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-01-2012, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 01:00 AM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Bad things about Free Will?
(29-01-2012 10:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Hey GM, Wheeler's Delayed Choice experiment, (re quanyum systems/double slit manipulation), does not apply to macro systems, as I understand it.

Maybe not yet, but who the fuck knows what holds tomorrow as we continuously exponentially increase our measurement and observation capability?

(29-01-2012 10:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Also, if the particle does indeed follow every possible path, (which some people now propose), (which he did not address), it would change the experiment. Yes ? No ?

Feels like it just reinterprets the results to me. ... But I'm not qualified to comment on any interpretation other than to note that physicists come up with some really crazy fucking shit.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply