Bad words.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Bad words.
I want to talk about bad words. Words like fuck, shit, piss, etc...

Now, my reason for this thread is that I simply do not understand it. What is the reason behind not saying these words. Why do they carry any form of disapproval? It really seems to be that people created a word and decided not to use it. Waste of time I know.

Now I know there are some words used to insult race, gender, and personality and I totally understand their reason of being looked down on. But things that describe actions is something I am at a loss for. A word solely created for the purpose of not using sounds a little pointless.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this, but I will have to admit that I haven't a clue for their existence.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2011, 09:08 PM
RE: Bad words.
Gotta say I'm with you on not understanding societies stance on such words. I suppose there may historically be religious connotations as some people began to consider certain words blasphemous.

I think some people just like having something to complain about and the invention of swear words was just a constant thing in their lives to be able to complain about when they couldn't think of anything better.

There may also be an element of snobbery involved. As language evolves there are probably some people who decide that certain words are beneath them and this leads to the words being considered as crude and unpleasant.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
21-08-2011, 09:23 PM
(21-08-2011 09:08 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  There may also be an element of snobbery involved. As language evolves there are probably some people who decide that certain words are beneath them and this leads to the words being considered as crude and unpleasant.

That actually sounds legit.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
22-08-2011, 01:18 AM
(21-08-2011 08:51 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I want to talk about bad words. Words like fuck, shit, piss, etc...

Now, my reason for this thread is that I simply do not understand it. What is the reason behind not saying these words. Why do they carry any form of disapproval? It really seems to be that people created a word and decided not to use it. Waste of time I know.

Now I know there are some words used to insult race, gender, and personality and I totally understand their reason of being looked down on. But things that describe actions is something I am at a loss for. A word solely created for the purpose of not using sounds a little pointless.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this, but I will have to admit that I haven't a clue for their existence.

Good question,Huh and hard to answer. Perhaps in some ways its just a habit thing.
Another perhaps is that foul language can be used, not just convesationally, but to attempt to denigrate others when the perpetrator is incapable of more objective reasoning.
22-08-2011, 01:45 AM

Agreed, i remember when i was little they were referred to as curse wordds never understood why, curses dont exist.

I swear most of the time, id rather use words designed for that specific purpose then trying to think of something plan retarded, i mean there ordinary words, i dont see people hating on the word toture, thats a horrible word by what it implys yes people replace it with swear words its riduclous.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
[+] 1 user Likes James The Brit's post
22-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Well, I'm not all pious and don't have a problem with swearing most of the time. Sometimes I think it just isn't appropriate.

Think about it. Shit, piss, fuck (not in the sex sense... think about the way its used when something bad happens) etc.
If you think about the state of mind, and the imagery, the smell. It doesn't bring anything pleasant and enjoyable does it.

That fairly easily explains peoples general distaste with those words.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
22-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I would have to say it falls into the desire for taboos. People like to have a control not of themselves, but of everyone else. Words that seem undesirable get complained about until they become taboo, and everyone then enjoys their taboo nature. The religious mindset desires more taboos (look at early television), but taboos are a constant desire within society (nudity is still one of the leading taboos though it is about much less body being covered now). Word taboos are an auditory reminder that there are limits within society and most semi-rational (humans aren't purely rational =p) humans are happy to know that there are limits within society that make it different than non-society.

To me the worst words to ever state are fiddle sticks, frack, and shoot. If anyone is being cruel and deceptive it is the person who believes the meaning is not bad as long as they use a different word. And they teach their children that it's ok to think these horrible things, just don't use those words.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Enjoy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g

Been listening to this one for years.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
22-08-2011, 10:02 AM
(22-08-2011 08:45 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Enjoy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g

Been listening to this one for years.

haha i love the part where it goes

fuck the fucking fucker.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
22-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I am reminded of the South Park episode where they are allowed to say shit uncensored. They are "curse words" for a reason. They are CURSED!!! If we say them to much and to often dragons will appear and rip us to shreds!

Evolve