"Bad" words

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2016, 03:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 05:26 PM by carol.)
RE: "Bad" words
I agree that some words hold power for some people. People who were taught to pray may believe that the words hold some sort of "magical powers" that would influence them somehow. There are some horror movies that start with people saying a word three times when looking into a mirror- and remember the movie "Beetlejuice?" I think that some of the ideas about language are caused by superstition.
I find that the curse words free me. I think very carefully about the words that I use, especially around children in the places I have worked. But, at home, my self-imposed limitations caused some of the people I had hired to work for me to misunderstand me- and how serious I am about the expectations I had about what I wanted from them. I try to me a kind boss, but some of the construction men treated my kindness as weakness. Nothing like some appropriate curse words. to snap them back into reality. It would bring a big grin to their faces, and I would get the work done. Cursing is much more effective if I only do it occasionally. It acts like adding just the right amount of spice to a meal. I try to hold it in reserve for when I need it.
I used to feel uncomfortable cursing, and now, it can feel pretty good to me!Evil_monster As I have gotten older, I have added cursing to my toolkit of useful things. Nothing like a good loud "fuck you!" or a sad "oh, fuck me!" to make a brighter day. I also have found that it is a good way to find out if a person would make a fun companion.Big Grin Finally, I enjoy the shocked look on some faces when I curse. Some people when they meet me treat me as if I may faint at the hint of impropriety.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
02-04-2016, 04:28 AM
Who gives a fuck if people swear?
Taking a line from a comedian I've recently watched and can't remember the name of:
Nothing happens when you get offended. You don't get offended and wake up the next day with leprosy.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
02-04-2016, 04:32 AM
(02-04-2016 04:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Nothing happens when you get offended. You don't get offended and wake up the next day with leprosy.

If that were the case (offense = leprosy), religions would have wiped themselves out long ago.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-04-2016, 04:34 AM
(02-04-2016 04:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 04:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Nothing happens when you get offended. You don't get offended and wake up the next day with leprosy.

If that were the case (offense = leprosy), religions would have wiped themselves out long ago.

Amen to that sister.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-04-2016, 06:36 AM
Speaking of "bad" words, I recall on our radio stations when the 1966 Royal Guardsmen song Snoopy Vs The Red Baron had the line "Ten, Twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or more,
The bloody Red Baron was rollin' up the score" censored with a beep replacing the word bloody.

Australians were very puritanical back in those days. Seems truly laughable in the current social climate.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
02-04-2016, 06:44 AM
I grew up in the Boston area and the odd thing about that was that there are a lot of Catholics there, yet they swear like crazy. At least in my neck of the woods they did. Fuck is included in everything...and creatively. It is used more as an adjective than a bad word. I do have to watch myself a bit since moving to California--even though it is extremely open-minded here in some areas, I don't hear a lot of swearing, not like where I'm from back East, so I do have to filter my f-bomb usage Wink
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
02-04-2016, 08:53 AM
(02-04-2016 01:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But sometimes you stub your toe on the corner of that same blasted couch for the umpteenth time and you just really need that cathartic 'FUCK!' at the moment.

I definitely misread this as "that catholic 'FUCK!'" which paints a whole different picture Tongue
02-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Words are created to convey an idea or a feelings. They are tools, and used properly they can achieve things that many other animals on this planet have never been able to nail down. So when we limet the use of the words that have been constructed for there purpose it is sad. Yes words can be offensive. But to say we need to bane them for the sake of people feelings is just bonkers. These offensive words only have as much "power" as the induvigual allows it.

Like when COTW tells us to go to Hell. It's meaningless. He wants it to convey fear, or to come off as threatening. But to the recipient it's silly.

We can also replace words with other words that seem less offensive. But whats the point? You still conveying the same emotion response. This reminds me of a Lewis C.K. joke.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
02-04-2016, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 10:36 AM by Heatheness.)
You might regret getting me on this subject. lol

Language serves many purposes beyond simple communication of thought or ideas. Words are not just power, they are emotional art, solace, sexually gratifying, intimidating, controlling, violently abusive and yes they can cause physical harm as well as sexual orgasms.

I don't believe in "bad words" only bad intent. I love cuss words they are not just expressive to hear but to say. They can have their own mouth feel just like food. It is physically satisfying to say "fuck" as opposed to intercourse. Whether you are shouting at your lover to "fuck me, fuck me now!" or yelling at an asshole who cut you off in the fast lane, "fucker!" the word itself is harsh, even violent with harsh and violent sounding letters. This is why "fuck" and "shit" sound more abrasive than "intercourse" and "feces". The harsh sounds vs the soft sounds. The way your lips move when saying the words is even expressive.

Most cuss words are short because they are designed that way. As an explanative you must be able to get the whole word out quickly so you can't be cut off and stifled. They are also simplistic because it's easier to remember when you're upset, doesn't require complex thought.

I love cuss words. "Fuck" is my favorite one (duh). I also love adding other words to "fuck" for creativeness, fuckhole, fuckwart, fucknut, fuckjunkie. I like that it's taboo as well. That just serves to make it more fun. I have an intense appreciation for the artistry and creativity of superior cussing. Big Grin

Researchers have found that people who cuss are more intelligent, more passionate and better communicators. That's a great group to be in. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
02-04-2016, 10:48 AM
There are no bad fucking words.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post