"Bad" words

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2016, 11:16 AM
RE: "Bad" words
(02-04-2016 10:30 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  You might regret getting me on this subject. lol

Language serves many purposes beyond simple communication of thought or ideas. Words are not just power, they are emotional art, solace, sexually gratifying, intimidating, controlling, violently abusive and yes they can cause physical harm as well as sexual orgasms.

I don't believe in "bad words" only bad intent. I love cuss words they are not just expressive to hear but to say. They can have their own mouth feel just like food. It is physically satisfying to say "fuck" as opposed to intercourse. Whether you are shouting at your lover to "fuck me, fuck me now!" or yelling at an asshole who cut you off in the fast lane, "fucker!" the word itself is harsh, even violent with harsh and violent sounding letters. This is why "fuck" and "shit" sound more abrasive than "intercourse" and "feces". The harsh sounds vs the soft sounds. The way your lips move when saying the words is even expressive.

Most cuss words are short because they are designed that way. As an explanative you must be able to get the whole word out quickly so you can't be cut off and stifled. They are also simplistic because it's easier to remember when you're upset, doesn't require complex thought.

I love cuss words. "Fuck" is my favorite one (duh). I also love adding other words to "fuck" for creativeness, fuckhole, fuckwart, fucknut, fuckjunkie. I like that it's taboo as well. That just serves to make it more fun. I have an intense appreciation for the artistry and creativity of superior cussing. Big Grin

Researchers have found that people who cuss are more intelligent, more passionate and better communicators. That's a great group to be in. Smile

Bolding mine. If that's the case, I must be a fuckin' genius. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-04-2016, 01:10 PM
(01-04-2016 10:12 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Just wondering if anybody had any theories beyond my ideas on this topic.
Even after I left the church, I refused to swear or use foul language in everyday life. I don't think I intentionally cussed until I had been living my own life for over a year. Something about it just felt "wrong" for me...I had no real objections to it for other people, it just wasn't something I was comfortable doing.
Similarly, my (very religious) mother finds swearing to be one of the most reprehensible things possible...or at least she acts that way. She will purposely avoid a movie or TV show if it has too much bad language (apart from any other concerns). I've tried to talk to her about it, but she just says that she's "very sensitive" and when she hears bad language it literally hurts her, in a physical sense.
Why is this the case? Why do some words hold so much more power than others, regardless of the way that they are used? It's all just different combinations of letters. How do they hold such moral and ethical power?
My ideas are roughly in two categories:
First is the broader idea that language is a social construct. If we're conditioned as a group to think of something as either positive or negative, then it will remain that way until the conditioning is reversed. Words are the same way: if we're told that "fuck" and "shit" are bad things to say or hear, we will shy away from them if we're trying to fit in to the rules of the moral majority. But this doesn't explain the root of the phenomenon. Why THESE words specifically? (Why is "fuck" worse that "fornicate"? Why is "shit" worse than "feces" or even "crap"?)
That's where my second theory comes into play, that of intention. Often when these words are used, they're meant to have an effect that goes beyond the word itself. I think this is the most obvious when it comes to racial slurs, but it can apply to pretty much any situation. Many times people swear when they're angry, or when they're trying to fight against the rules that society has out into place (regarding language directly, but often regarding larger issues as well). But this isn't always the case. Is it just a sort of conditioned response to associate these words with these emotions/intentions, regardless of whether or not those are present at the time?

Its one of those great mysteries of the universe. Why are certain words "offensive"?

They are just sounds after all... Context and intent is the most important thing.

If I said "fuck you, you fucking motherfucker", it wouldn't be unreasonable to feel hurt by that. But if I say, "the fucking car won't start," what's there to be offended about?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Sam's post
02-04-2016, 01:12 PM
"We train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders won't allow them to write FUCK on their aeroplanes because... it's obscene." - Colonel Kurtz.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
02-04-2016, 01:20 PM
(01-04-2016 10:12 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Just wondering if anybody had any theories beyond my ideas on this topic.
Even after I left the church, I refused to swear or use foul language in everyday life. I don't think I intentionally cussed until I had been living my own life for over a year. Something about it just felt "wrong" for me...I had no real objections to it for other people, it just wasn't something I was comfortable doing.
Similarly, my (very religious) mother finds swearing to be one of the most reprehensible things possible...or at least she acts that way. She will purposely avoid a movie or TV show if it has too much bad language (apart from any other concerns). I've tried to talk to her about it, but she just says that she's "very sensitive" and when she hears bad language it literally hurts her, in a physical sense.
Why is this the case? Why do some words hold so much more power than others, regardless of the way that they are used? It's all just different combinations of letters. How do they hold such moral and ethical power?
My ideas are roughly in two categories:
First is the broader idea that language is a social construct. If we're conditioned as a group to think of something as either positive or negative, then it will remain that way until the conditioning is reversed. Words are the same way: if we're told that "fuck" and "shit" are bad things to say or hear, we will shy away from them if we're trying to fit in to the rules of the moral majority. But this doesn't explain the root of the phenomenon. Why THESE words specifically? (Why is "fuck" worse that "fornicate"? Why is "shit" worse than "feces" or even "crap"?)
That's where my second theory comes into play, that of intention. Often when these words are used, they're meant to have an effect that goes beyond the word itself. I think this is the most obvious when it comes to racial slurs, but it can apply to pretty much any situation. Many times people swear when they're angry, or when they're trying to fight against the rules that society has out into place (regarding language directly, but often regarding larger issues as well). But this isn't always the case. Is it just a sort of conditioned response to associate these words with these emotions/intentions, regardless of whether or not those are present at the time?

Words there are not bad; words in an of themselves have no moral value. But societal standards today set them as profane; this changes with the whims and customs of a society over time.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
02-04-2016, 01:45 PM
(02-04-2016 10:48 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  There are no bad fucking words.

What? Of course there are bad things to say while fucking!

"Happy birthday grandma!" is a real quick way to kill the mood.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-04-2016, 02:09 PM
(02-04-2016 01:45 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...
things to say while fucking!

"Happy birthday grandma!"

That's taking ancestor worship to an extreme!

Did she appreciate your gift?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
02-04-2016, 02:32 PM
There's no goddamn fucking such thing as a bad word. Words can't be cunts. Only people can.

My mother always used language some people find 'foul'. She probably cursed more than a drunken sailor. There were never any words we couldn't say. So I'm not bothered by them at all. Who decides what words are bad anyway? What makes them bad?
[+] 1 user Likes Ash's post
02-04-2016, 05:19 PM
"Bad" words
The only fucking reason, that certain fucking words have any fucking power to fucking well offend fucking people. Is because we fucking well avoid saying these fucking words in the first fucking place. If every fucking person said fuck or fucking, every other fucking word, it wouldn't fucking well be so fucking taboo.

For fuck's sake.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
02-04-2016, 05:24 PM
(02-04-2016 05:19 PM)Sam Wrote:  The only fucking reason, that certain fucking words have any fucking power to fucking well offend fucking people. Is because we fucking well avoid saying these fucking words in the first fucking place. If every fucking person said fuck or fucking, every other fucking word, it wouldn't fucking well be so fucking taboo.

For fuck's sake.

You sound a lot like my dad. Wink

For dad, the word 'fuck' or a form of the word 'fuck' could, and was, used as every part of speech - noun, verb, adjective, adverb, preposition, pronoun, interjection...all of them.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-04-2016, 06:19 PM
(02-04-2016 05:19 PM)Sam Wrote:  The only fucking reason, that certain fucking words have any fucking power to fucking well offend fucking people. Is because we fucking well avoid saying these fucking words in the first fucking place. If every fucking person said fuck or fucking, every other fucking word, it wouldn't fucking well be so fucking taboo.

For fuck's sake.

Jayus fucking wept! Sounds like someone from my fucking neck of the woods, Dublin.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post