"Bad" words

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 11:02 AM
RE: "Bad" words
Deciding that this or that word is "bad" and shouldn't be used is like deciding that this or that color is bad and that you will not paint with it.

If your aim is to paint a house, no problem, you don't necessarily need maroon or kelly green or what-have-you. But if your aim is art, you'd goddamned well better have the most complete palette you can put together, and in language, that means ensuring that nothing is out of bounds.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
03-04-2016, 01:53 PM
(02-04-2016 06:44 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I grew up in the Boston area and the odd thing about that was that there are a lot of Catholics there, yet they swear like crazy. At least in my neck of the woods they did. Fuck is included in everything...and creatively. It is used more as an adjective than a bad word. I do have to watch myself a bit since moving to California--even though it is extremely open-minded here in some areas, I don't hear a lot of swearing, not like where I'm from back East, so I do have to filter my f-bomb usage Wink

The reason they swear more in Boston than in California is because of the fucking Bostonian weather. Censored

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-04-2016, 02:33 PM
(03-04-2016 01:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 06:44 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I grew up in the Boston area and the odd thing about that was that there are a lot of Catholics there, yet they swear like crazy. At least in my neck of the woods they did. Fuck is included in everything...and creatively. It is used more as an adjective than a bad word. I do have to watch myself a bit since moving to California--even though it is extremely open-minded here in some areas, I don't hear a lot of swearing, not like where I'm from back East, so I do have to filter my f-bomb usage Wink

The reason they swear more in Boston than in California is because of the fucking Bostonian weather. Censored

Fuckin' A. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2016, 02:42 PM
(03-04-2016 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 01:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The reason they swear more in Boston than in California is because of the fucking Bostonian weather. Censored

Fuckin' A. Angry

It's a wicked pissuh alright.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
03-04-2016, 02:47 PM
(03-04-2016 02:42 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fuckin' A. Angry

It's a wicked pissuh alright.

Are you in the Boston area or just from here? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-04-2016, 03:03 PM
(03-04-2016 02:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 02:42 PM)unfogged Wrote:  It's a wicked pissuh alright.

Are you in the Boston area or just from here? Consider

I'm originally from the area but haven't lived there for a long time. I'm expecting to be up in Maine next month for a few days and was trying to figure out if I'd be able to spend some time in southern NE and maybe meet a few folks but unfortunately it just isn't going to work out.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
03-04-2016, 03:06 PM
(01-04-2016 10:12 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Just wondering if anybody had any theories beyond my ideas on this topic.
Even after I left the church, I refused to swear or use foul language in everyday life. I don't think I intentionally cussed until I had been living my own life for over a year. Something about it just felt "wrong" for me...I had no real objections to it for other people, it just wasn't something I was comfortable doing.
Similarly, my (very religious) mother finds swearing to be one of the most reprehensible things possible...or at least she acts that way. She will purposely avoid a movie or TV show if it has too much bad language (apart from any other concerns). I've tried to talk to her about it, but she just says that she's "very sensitive" and when she hears bad language it literally hurts her, in a physical sense.
Why is this the case? Why do some words hold so much more power than others, regardless of the way that they are used? It's all just different combinations of letters. How do they hold such moral and ethical power?
My ideas are roughly in two categories:
First is the broader idea that language is a social construct. If we're conditioned as a group to think of something as either positive or negative, then it will remain that way until the conditioning is reversed. Words are the same way: if we're told that "fuck" and "shit" are bad things to say or hear, we will shy away from them if we're trying to fit in to the rules of the moral majority. But this doesn't explain the root of the phenomenon. Why THESE words specifically? (Why is "fuck" worse that "fornicate"? Why is "shit" worse than "feces" or even "crap"?)
That's where my second theory comes into play, that of intention. Often when these words are used, they're meant to have an effect that goes beyond the word itself. I think this is the most obvious when it comes to racial slurs, but it can apply to pretty much any situation. Many times people swear when they're angry, or when they're trying to fight against the rules that society has out into place (regarding language directly, but often regarding larger issues as well). But this isn't always the case. Is it just a sort of conditioned response to associate these words with these emotions/intentions, regardless of whether or not those are present at the time?

Meh.
Fuck that shit! Tongue

03-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
03-04-2016, 03:59 PM
I never swear in public, or when I'm with those who are not close friends.
I assume I have permission to swear here.
It's a matter of "cultural permission", implied or assumed and/or granted.
It's like talking about sex. In our culture, one has to have "permission" (in some way or another) to bring up some subjects. If, for example, someone I don't know, starts swearing in an elevator, in front of strangers, I assume they are an idiot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the interesting responses so far!
I came across this and thought it would be a relevant (if redundant) contribution.

And just on a personal note, I myself do fucking swear sometimes, depending on where I am and who I'm with. Along the lines of what carol said, it can have really great shock value since I come off in person as rather meek and "nice." So when I do swear, it tends to surprise people (unless they know me really well, in which case they know that I'm not actually that nice all the time). And it does feel good to be able to use the entirety of the language that I speak.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post