Bad words is bad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2012, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2012 12:51 PM by germanyt.)
RE: Bad words is bad
Fuck you you fuckin fuck.
(23-01-2012 12:49 PM)Jasrace Wrote:  It is very insulting to show someone the bottom of your shoe and point in Iraq. It is equivalent to giving someone the bird in America.

British people call cigarettes FAGS.

I guess if you want to be polite, you must observe the customs of the society you're in.
There is a time and place to be vulgar, I wouldn't want to offend old people or be inappropriate with children present, but that's common sense I thnk. If my beliefs offend you, sorry.

I'm pretty sure no one in the UK actually calls a cigarette a fag.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
23-01-2012, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2012 12:56 PM by Jasrace.)
(23-01-2012 12:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 12:19 PM)Unreal Wrote:  that's kinda what I'm getting at. Who the fuck does know? Why are they considered bad and other words aren't.

Swearing is based on society. "Bad words" are created through the evolution of language, and, as a word, they are wholly innocent; however, their connotations are created through this evolution. It is much like morality.

Wouldn't being a Christian require you to believe that everyone spoke the same language once, until the destruction of the Tower Bable in which people dispersed and spoke different langauges?

Obviously language evolves. So does life.
(23-01-2012 12:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Fuck you you fuckin fuck.
(23-01-2012 12:49 PM)Jasrace Wrote:  It is very insulting to show someone the bottom of your shoe and point in Iraq. It is equivalent to giving someone the bird in America.

I guess if you want to be polite, you must observe the customs of the society you're in.
There is a time and place to be vulgar, I wouldn't want to offend old people or be inappropriate with children present, but that's common sense I thnk. If my beliefs offend you, sorry.

That is the slang for them.
23-01-2012, 12:59 PM
(23-01-2012 12:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Fuck you you fuckin fuck.

Well, yes, they actually do.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-01-2012, 01:09 PM
(23-01-2012 12:54 PM)Jasrace Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 12:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 12:19 PM)Unreal Wrote:  that's kinda what I'm getting at. Who the fuck does know? Why are they considered bad and other words aren't.

Swearing is based on society. "Bad words" are created through the evolution of language, and, as a word, they are wholly innocent; however, their connotations are created through this evolution. It is much like morality.

Wouldn't being a Christian require you to believe that everyone spoke the same language once, until the destruction of the Tower Bable in which people dispersed and spoke different langauges?

Obviously language evolves. So does life.

And... your point?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Bad words have a valid meaning. In fact, you can describe the same things with socially acceptable words. So why would cunt be a worse word than vagina/vulva? It's a valid question. My guess is that a lot of these words started from "you cannot say such things in front of a lady". Obviously, the kids tend to learn such words very quickly and have less self-control. They're also not allowed to say such things in front of a lady so people can't say such things in front of a kid either. Well, to be honest, some words are also difficult to explain to a child in a society with a sexual taboo.

Religion took the hint and, since you cannot say such words in front of a lady, you obviously cannot say the same things in front of god. However, these words are necessary so they invented euphemisms to replace them. Nowadays, I think it's a pretty useless social convention.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
23-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Supreme Court Obscenity Definition

1) A thing must be prurient in nature
2) A thing must be completely devoid of scientific, political, educational, or social value
3) A thing must violate the local community standards

If it meets all three of these things, it is obscenity.

A certain Mr Carlin gave us what has become known as:
The Heavy Seven
Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and Tits.

Additionally followed by: Fart, turd, twat.
Revised additions include: Snatch, box, pussy.

The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the FCC action in 1978, by a vote of 5 to 4, ruling that Mr Carlin's routine was "indecent but not obscene".

Words control. You can say whatever you want.

Contextually speaking...it might be a matter of what or who controls your speech.

Then of course, there's why speech is controlled.
Circle back to the top please... nothing to see below this point. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-01-2012, 03:40 PM
(23-01-2012 12:49 PM)Jasrace Wrote:  If my beliefs offend you, sorry.

I've given up on apologizing for this. If you get offended it's *your* problem. Of course if I'm chasing you with an big stick I'd have to concede you have a right to be offended, but then, I have a big stick so it's still *your* problem Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-01-2012, 03:50 PM
It's totally cultural.

For example, George Carlin offers us, "Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and Tits." Pretty straight forward English profanity. All based on the body. The body, in English cultures, is viewed as unclean, dirty, shameful, taboo.

In French, in Quebec, all swears are based on Catholic iconography (because of the Quiet Revolution; the period in Quebec's history when the Catholic Church lost its control of Quebecois culture).
Tabarnak (ta-baar-nak) - The tabernacle
Calice (kaw-liss) - The chalice
Estie (eh-stee) - The host
Ciboire (see-bwa-ur) - The ciborium
Criss (chris) - Christ
Maudite (mow-dit) - damn
Sacrement (sa-kreh-maw)

(Pronunciations are hard to spell without IPA)

I have it on good authority that in Armenian, profanity isn't so much words as sayings. My friend’s kindly sweet mother once told someone who cut her off, "I shit on your mother’s soul!"

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
23-01-2012, 04:17 PM
I am not sure where and how exactly bad words started but I am pretty sure, from what I read about the middle ages, that in those times there were no bad words. At least not for common people. I can also imagine that there were less or no bad words even for the not so common people, kings, earls, whatevers...

And to add some interesting ways of swearing. I come from Bavaria, Germany, and in Bavaria they have some unlogic ways to swear:
Kreitz Krutzifix (Krayts Kroozeefiks) - Cross Cross
Herrgod sackra nomoi nei (Heirgod sakra nomoy nay) - MrGod sacrament once more into
Drecksbua (Drexbooah) - Dirty boy

But apart from that, pretty much the same words are not ok to say in public. Cool thing, everyone knows that the words are not acceptable but everyone still says them all the time.
Ok... Pretty much depends what educational level you have. (not only school but also from home)
In some family noone takes care of proper speech education. So you have people saying swear words twice per sentence which is weird.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Any excuse to post this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post