Bad words.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2011, 12:21 PM
RE: Bad words.
Well, there are some words, like nasty racial, gender, or sexual preference stuff that were created to express hate and disgust for certain people, and so some of us choose not to use them even though they exist, because they don't share the sentiment those words were created to convey.

As for your average curse words, I curse plenty, I find that the English language lacks ways to convey emotional content, so curse words are my way of adding emotional content. I also appreciate that some words are appropriate to certain circumstances and not others, and that the sensibility of those who can hear me should be respected too.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Swear words are used to accentuate what you mean. How you feel. I dislike when they are used too often as they lose their meaning. But I am guilty of this as I swear far too much.

I also agree that there are certain words that aren't used to accentuate but instead to injure. Those words deserve another name.

I think really traditional swear words, the ones we are all familiar with, that don't particularly mean anything, should be called Words of Accent. I mean what does FUCK mean in any context other than the sexual act? So if I use it when no one is having any kind of fun sex, then how could it offend somebody? How could it offend someone who was indeed making whoopie in the first place? Were they unaware of what they were doing? Seems silly.

Not to take away from those words I mentioned previously that have only the intention to hurt, it doesn't take a genius to realize why those words would offend. I think though by adding any kind of insult to words that actually lack any, it takes away from the genuine insult offered by the other words. We shouldn't lump them all into one category.
I will risk offending people to further clarify my point. Please bear with me, I mean no actual offence.

The word Nigger for instance has been lumped into the swear word category, and I think it needs it's own. It is not used to emphasize a particular emotion. It is clearly used to insult or hurt someone. You can't say it without knowing someone might be offended. You can't even make any kind of serious argument for why they shouldn't be offended by it's use. Not like Shit. I like the word shit. Used properly it can mean different things. It can be literal. It can be comical, it can be used to express aggression. Wonderful word. Also very hard to feel any kind of offence by it's use. If you can I would suspect you are reading far more into it than should be done.

So to summarize I think old school swears should be called words of accent, and the words we all know that are used to hurt should be called words of asshole.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2011, 12:41 PM
(22-08-2011 12:21 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  Well, there are some words, like nasty racial, gender, or sexual preference stuff that were created to express hate and disgust for certain people, and so some of us choose not to use them even though they exist, because they don't share the sentiment those words were created to convey.

As for your average curse words, I curse plenty, I find that the English language lacks ways to convey emotional content, so curse words are my way of adding emotional content. I also appreciate that some words are appropriate to certain circumstances and not others, and that the sensibility of those who can hear me should be respected too.

This is how i feel as well. There's not many words that would offend me, but at the same time, whether I find a word offensive or not, I do my best to respect how other people feel about them. And really, it's no skin off my ass to NOT use swears. Although I talk like a construction worker most of the time because...well....I've been a construction worker for most of my adult life!

Well said sy.

Just visiting.

-SR
22-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
22-08-2011, 03:49 PM
(22-08-2011 12:41 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  And really, it's no skin off my ass to NOT use swears. Although I talk like a construction worker most of the time because...well....I've been a construction worker for most of my adult life!

As an ex-sailor with USN, shit's just part of our fucking vernacular. Ships would fucking sink and men would fucking die if we didn't fucking use them. But it can (and has) caused some problems in meetings when I slip back into sailor mode. I just blush and look really embarrassed and it usually gets me off the hook.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
22-08-2011, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2011 07:26 PM by cufflink.)
Interesting question. Why, for example, is "fuck" such a dirty word in English?

It can't be what it refers to. If you say, "The two of them were fucking," that counts as obscene language. But if you say, "The two of them were engaging in sexual intercourse," you're saying exactly the same thing--and it's OK.

It also can't be the sound of the word. I've heard people say that the word "fuck" just SOUNDS so dirty! But that's a learned response, not a natural or universal one. The French word "phoque," which sounds very similar to "fuck," means "seal," as in the cute aquatic mammal--and no French speaker thinks that sounds dirty.

It's really a matter of consensus. There's nothing inherent in the word itself that puts it in the "dirty" category. As a society, we've simply decided to agree that certain words are dirty or taboo.

For a word to be "dirty," it's seems necessary, although not sufficient, that it should refer to something the society is squeamish or uncomfortable about: sexual activity, sexual organs, excrement, . . . But there's always a way to talk about precisely the same things without using "dirty" words. Another tendency is for dirty words to be monosyllabic: fuck, shit, cunt, piss, cock, dick, tit, . . . (In fact, all of those except cunt are on the phonetic pattern CVC: consonant + vowel + consonant.)

Interestingly, not all languages have dirty words. When Hebrew was brought back from the dead as the revived language of Israel (the only genuine example of resurrection I know of), it had no dirty words. In order to swear, Israelis now borrow words from Arabic.

For me, the most interesting questions are, What function do "dirty" or "taboo" terms serve in a language? Why do some languages develop "swear" words and others don't? And why do some such words get extended beyond their original domains to serve as strong emphatics?

It's a fuckin' mystery.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
22-08-2011, 06:13 PM
There are hree categories of 'bad' word
the religious: any taking in vain of deities' names and dwellings (so they resorted to nicknames: jeez, gosh, heck)
the threatening: cursing - damn, blast, drop dead - and swearing [may God] blind me, strike me down - these forms are inappropriate for casual use
and the fastidious: Victorian era avoidance of reference to bodily functions. Listen back to Elizabethan speech - they enjoyed a good belch, fart, piss or roll in the hay.

Societies have periods of fashion, different moods, changing attitudes to what's polite to talk about and what's taboo.
And we need those words to express strong negative emotion. Profanity as punctuation, however, grows tiresome pretty fast - and what do you have left to say when you hit your thumb with a hammer?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
22-08-2011, 06:19 PM
(22-08-2011 06:13 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Profanity as punctuation, however, grows tiresome pretty fast - and what do you have left to say when you hit your thumb with a hammer?

I agree with the above. For me, I find it particularly aggravating when hearing people use the word "nigger" as punctuation. It's not funny, and it's not cool.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
22-08-2011, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2011 06:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-08-2011 06:13 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Profanity as punctuation, however, grows tiresome pretty fast - and what do you have left to say when you hit your thumb with a hammer?

Fuck fuck fuck shit fuck goddam this fucking goddam shit really fucking hurts goddammit. ... At least that's how we did it in the Navy.

(22-08-2011 06:19 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  For me, I find it particularly aggravating when hearing people use the word "nigger" as punctuation. It's not funny, and it's not cool.

That's a whole different ballgame. It's out of bounds for caucasians unless you're looking to get your ass kicked.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
22-08-2011, 06:51 PM
(22-08-2011 06:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-08-2011 06:19 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  For me, I find it particularly aggravating when hearing people use the word "nigger" as punctuation. It's not funny, and it's not cool.

That's a whole different ballgame. It's out of bounds for caucasians unless you're looking to get your ass kicked.

Which opens a whole new can of worms on the subject of "words". Why would one word be acceptable or not acceptable depending on who says it? Why isn't it depending on the meaning only, like... well... every other word?