Bah Humbug.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2013, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 09:40 AM by bemore.)
Bah Humbug.
There are a lot of people who are looking forward to Christmas, I however am not really one of them. Every single xmas I have had has been good, it is only for the last couple of years have my views changed. So Im gonna rant a little... if anybody else feels like ranting then maybe this place is it.

I think it is bullshit. First we had the Baby Jebus and then came along Santa wearing his merry green clothing. Coca-Cola then started to depict santa wearing red clothing and the rest of the world sort of copied it (yes santa wears red because of Coca-Cola)

Some things that people say that annoy me....

"Where is your Xmas spirit"

There is no such thing as Xmas spirit. What you refer to is simply the fact that you have been fortunate enough to have fond memories of Xmas's past. Your "xmas spirit" is the accumulation of these memories and your expectations of them.

"Its not the gift, its the thought that counts"

Then why do you feel the need to buy me unwanted socks, shower gel sets/aftershave, shitty novelty items? Why must you work overtime at work or even get into debt buying people mostly tat? If it truly is the thought why do you need a reminder of xmas? Why not just scrap the gifts and give me the thought daily, weekly, monthly?

"Its for the children"

Again, parents working overtime (missing essential time with their children, something that money cannot buy) or getting into debt buying items because they wish to see there kids face light up? You don't need to buy them anything nor do you need any "special day" to do this!!!

"Its the season of goodwill"

Sure, tell that to all of the lonely old people, tell that to the homeless, tell that to the people working in sweat shop factories around the world who toil throughout the year, who have to toil harder in the build up to xmas so they can produce items that we, for most part, dont actually need.

"Its about family"

Again, do you really need a reminder, is that what it boils down to???

So what is xmas about?

Is it about the miraculous conception of Baby Jebus..... Nope.
Is it about the imaginary man based on a legend........ Nope.

All that leaves is obligation.

Sad Weeping

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
03-12-2013, 09:48 AM
RE: Bah Humbug.
[Image: tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I used to love xmas. Here's why:

1. It was cozy - the tree was pretty, the lighting romantic, the drinks nice. It was an excuse to go all out for a short time every year to just make things special and cozy and we felt a special kind of closeness and peace.

2. I enjoy buying things for people I love. I would watch during the year and hit the spot with a special gift on xmas. Just an arbitrary day to do this. Plus whatever it was could usually be found on sale. Occasionally I'd give a placeholder at xmas and pick up the gift during an after xmas sale for extra savings.

3. It's an excuse to pig out and spoil myself - something which is better confined to one day a year. Again, it's an arbitrary date. But it goes well with the romantic mood and special gift.

Unfortunately I now dread the day as my husband died xmas morning two years ago. I think I will just curl up with a good book this year and avoid it altogether.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
I enjoy the idea of having one day where we all put aside our animosities and treat each other as if we were all human beings. But by the time it rolls around I've seen frosty the god damn snowman sixty times and I'm sick of it. Sick. Of. It. Last year I just played Xbox all day.
03-12-2013, 10:22 AM
unwanted socks? what's that?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
03-12-2013, 11:03 AM
(03-12-2013 10:22 AM)nach_in Wrote:  unwanted socks? what's that?

[Image: s-socks.jpg]

These. Normally in a multipack containing three pairs, of a medium to low quality in a design/colour that I would never ever look twice at.

They normally cost very little, when In reality I spend £15/$24 per pair on my own socks because I only buy quality Bridgedale trekking/hiking socks.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
03-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Thomas Nast created Santa's image. Get right sillyTongue
You should look into his work, really great stuff.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
03-12-2013, 11:18 AM
(03-12-2013 11:10 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Thomas Nast created Santa's image. Get right sillyTongue

[Image: o_rly1.jpg]

[Image: o_rly-ya-rly.jpg]

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/holidays...anta-claus

Big Grin

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
03-12-2013, 11:27 AM
(03-12-2013 11:03 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 10:22 AM)nach_in Wrote:  unwanted socks? what's that?

[Image: s-socks.jpg]

These. Normally in a multipack containing three pairs, of a medium to low quality in a design/colour that I would never ever look twice at.

They normally cost very little, when In reality I spend £15/$24 per pair on my own socks because I only buy quality Bridgedale trekking/hiking socks.

[Image: firstworldproblemsgirl.jpg]

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
(03-12-2013 11:18 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 11:10 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Thomas Nast created Santa's image. Get right sillyTongue

[Image: o_rly1.jpg]

[Image: o_rly-ya-rly.jpg]

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/holidays...anta-claus

Big Grin
The article even says he wore red before coca cola. Sure it popularized the image even more but it didn't start with cokeTongue oh well not that it really matters anyway. Did you know that Nast represented the republican and democratic party as animals to mock them? Hah, they embraced them ever since.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell