Bah Humbug.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
RE: Bah Humbug.
I miss getting to do the whole Santa Claus thing from when my kids were little. I kind of like to see the decorations and lights though my decorating this past Sunday consisted of putting batteries in a tree made out of ornaments that's about a foot or so tall. Took five minutes, I'm done.

I haven't received a gift on Christmas in a long time. Last weekend husband came home with a gigantic TV and said that's our Christmas. So now the stupid shit he watches will be bigger, louder, more annoying, and less appealing. I didn't even know I wanted a giant TV.

Maybe, I will make a nice meal or maybe not. I don't really participate anymore in the Christmas thing except to get gifts for the grandkids. I do send Christmas cards, out of habit more than anything. It's a way to keep in touch with a few people, mostly older, who don't email or Facebook. The list gets smaller every year.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
(03-12-2013 09:37 AM)bemore Wrote:  There are a lot of people who are looking forward to Christmas, I however am not really one of them. Every single xmas I have had has been good, it is only for the last couple of years have my views changed. So Im gonna rant a little... if anybody else feels like ranting then maybe this place is it.

I think it is bullshit. First we had the Baby Jebus and then came along Santa wearing his merry green clothing. Coca-Cola then started to depict santa wearing red clothing and the rest of the world sort of copied it (yes santa wears red because of Coca-Cola)

Some things that people say that annoy me....

"Where is your Xmas spirit"

There is no such thing as Xmas spirit. What you refer to is simply the fact that you have been fortunate enough to have fond memories of Xmas's past. Your "xmas spirit" is the accumulation of these memories and your expectations of them.

"Its not the gift, its the thought that counts"

Then why do you feel the need to buy me unwanted socks, shower gel sets/aftershave, shitty novelty items? Why must you work overtime at work or even get into debt buying people mostly tat? If it truly is the thought why do you need a reminder of xmas? Why not just scrap the gifts and give me the thought daily, weekly, monthly?

"Its for the children"

Again, parents working overtime (missing essential time with their children, something that money cannot buy) or getting into debt buying items because they wish to see there kids face light up? You don't need to buy them anything nor do you need any "special day" to do this!!!

"Its the season of goodwill"

Sure, tell that to all of the lonely old people, tell that to the homeless, tell that to the people working in sweat shop factories around the world who toil throughout the year, who have to toil harder in the build up to xmas so they can produce items that we, for most part, dont actually need.

"Its about family"

Again, do you really need a reminder, is that what it boils down to???

So what is xmas about?

Is it about the miraculous conception of Baby Jebus..... Nope.
Is it about the imaginary man based on a legend........ Nope.

All that leaves is obligation.

Sad Weeping

I see where you're coming from and I actually kinda agree with a whole lot of what you said.

I do love decorating for the holiday, getting dressed up and going to parties, seeing old friends that I don't connect with often enough throughout the year. We don't do a lot of exchanging gifts anymore here. It's mostly time to step out of the normal routine and think of others instead of ourselves. Our christmas is very low-keyed and centered mostly around food. LOL. I always bring a nice hostess gift tho...

I volunteer wrapping gifts for less fortunate kids in the foster care system. I also participate in the high school's winter rave. They accept everything that's new with tags on it (nonperishable foods, clothing, toys, blankets) and I help organize them for when we get the high school kids to play santa (no they don't dress up or anything) and distribute them to needy families. It makes the kids happy and the community happy.
(03-12-2013 10:04 AM)Dom Wrote:  I used to love xmas. Here's why:

1. It was cozy - the tree was pretty, the lighting romantic, the drinks nice. It was an excuse to go all out for a short time every year to just make things special and cozy and we felt a special kind of closeness and peace.

2. I enjoy buying things for people I love. I would watch during the year and hit the spot with a special gift on xmas. Just an arbitrary day to do this. Plus whatever it was could usually be found on sale. Occasionally I'd give a placeholder at xmas and pick up the gift during an after xmas sale for extra savings.

3. It's an excuse to pig out and spoil myself - something which is better confined to one day a year. Again, it's an arbitrary date. But it goes well with the romantic mood and special gift.

Unfortunately I now dread the day as my husband died xmas morning two years ago. I think I will just curl up with a good book this year and avoid it altogether.

Hug

Many...actually hugs to you. It's gotta be hard on you.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

03-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Many hugs to you Dom. Heart

I usually dread 'the holidays' because its typically when many of my loved ones have died. One year I spent Dec 23,24, 25th at the funeral home for my uncle, finally put the man 'to rest' the day after Christmas. Dec 15 will mark 1 year that my father died, but it seems many other friends have passed in December too from car accidents and stupidity in various forms.

It sucks. Odd phone numbers on the caller ID make you wonder if its the police or hospital with more bad news.

Bring on January!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
03-12-2013, 02:02 PM
I can relate to loss in December too. My first husband died on 12/20/1984. So the days around Christmas were spent traveling, being stranded in Chicago due to weather, driving in a blizzard, and trying to get through the funeral and all that goes with it while all around people were celebrating. It's never a good time to lose someone but is even worse when it seems that all around you a party is going on and people are so busy with festivities that you feel invisible as you stand there with mind mushy and your body exhausted. I kind of try to rush past those days every year and not let the sorrow get too bad. I am just thankful that my girls were so young that they really don't remember much at all about that time.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
03-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Heart hugs to you too Anj.

and to not be a downer on this thread, there's other things about Christmas that irritate me…..like that Little fucking Elf that my kids love and I dread buying……ready to put that smiling plastic thing in the wood chipper along with those super-Moms who have their Elf do all these wonderful, entertaining pranks…while ours is lucky to move to new spot every 3rd day.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Oh, my kids were too old when the Elf on the Shelf thing hit, thankfully!

03-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Hypocrisy,or HypoChristmas?
Tends to all be savagely over done!
Lots of disturbed folk become even more miserable.
Corporate dudes laughing all the way to the bank......Blink
03-12-2013, 02:42 PM
(03-12-2013 11:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I haven't received a gift on Christmas in a long time.

That sucks. I'm getting this
[Image: tea-stick.jpg]
and this (no that's not water, it's vodka bitches Big Grin)
[Image: flavor.png]
and this
[Image: sock.jpg]

(03-12-2013 11:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Last weekend Manly came home with a gigantic TV and said that's our Christmas. So now the stupid shit she watches will be bigger, louder, more annoying, and less appealing. I didn't even know I wanted a giant TV.

Fixed. She's building a Manly Cave and really really likes Duck Dynasty. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.