Bakery to appeal 'gay cake' ruling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Star Bakery to appeal 'gay cake' ruling
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32913283

The Christian-run bakery at the centre of a discrimination case over a so-called 'gay cake' has decided to appeal.
Ashers bakery was ordered to pay £500 for refusing to make a sponge cake with a pro-gay marriage slogan on it.
A Belfast court found that customer Gareth Lee had been discriminated against on the grounds of his sexual orientation.
He was backed in the case by the NI Equality Commission.
The commission paid almost £39,000 in legal fees.
In a statement, the McArthur family who run Ashers, said: "After much careful and prayerful consideration given to legal advice, we have decided to appeal the judgement handed down last Tuesday.

"We continue to insist that we have done nothing wrong as we have discriminated against no individual, but rather acted according to what the Bible teaches regarding marriage.
Last week a judge said that, as a business, Ashers was not exempt from discrimination law.
The firm was found to have discriminated against Mr Lee on the grounds of sexual orientation as well as his political beliefs.
The judge said she accepted that Ashers has "genuine and deeply held" religious views, but said the business was not above the law.

So what if I wanted a cake with a pro rape/genocide/infanticide message on it? Rolleyes

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2015, 09:39 AM
RE: Bakery to appeal 'gay cake' ruling
(28-05-2015 09:34 AM)LostLegend Wrote:  http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32913283

The Christian-run bakery at the centre of a discrimination case over a so-called 'gay cake' has decided to appeal.
Ashers bakery was ordered to pay £500 for refusing to make a sponge cake with a pro-gay marriage slogan on it.
A Belfast court found that customer Gareth Lee had been discriminated against on the grounds of his sexual orientation.
In a statement, the McArthur family who run Ashers, said: "After much careful and prayerful consideration given to legal advice, we have decided to appeal the judgement handed down last Tuesday.

"We continue to insist that we have done nothing wrong as we have discriminated against no individual, but rather acted according to what the Bible teaches regarding marriage.
Last week a judge said that, as a business, Ashers was not exempt from discrimination law.
The firm was found to have discriminated against Mr Lee on the grounds of sexual orientation as well as his political beliefs.
The judge said she accepted that Ashers has "genuine and deeply held" religious views, but said the business was not above the law.

So what if I wanted a cake with a pro rape/genocide/infanticide message on it? Rolleyes

You would be an asshole. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-05-2015, 09:58 AM
(28-05-2015 09:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 09:34 AM)LostLegend Wrote:  http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32913283

You would be an asshole. Big Grin

Guilty as charged M'lord! Tongue

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
28-05-2015, 10:17 AM
I'm kind of like ... "Who fucking cares?" Business is business; you don't want my business because I'm (insert thing you fear/hate), then tell me up front and I'll go to someone who needs my money.

Not my problem if someone dies a penniless asshole... just as, it's not my problem if someone lets themself be controlled by some ancient superstition.

Assholiness knows no bounds. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
28-05-2015, 10:18 AM
"assholiness" ---- I nominate that one as word of the year....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Why bother with the slogan.
Spongecake = gay.
Duh Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-05-2015, 11:46 AM

Be sure to include the appropriate bible verses and you're good to go.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-05-2015, 11:49 AM
(28-05-2015 11:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Why bother with the slogan.
Spongecake = gay.
Duh Facepalm

I know, Confused right?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-05-2015, 11:59 AM
(28-05-2015 11:49 AM)kim Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 11:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Why bother with the slogan.
Spongecake = gay.
Duh Facepalm

I know, Confused right?

Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-05-2015, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2015 02:05 PM by Gilgamesh.)

Would they serve gay people the same way they serve any other?

Whether the person ordering the cake is gay or straight, if they still wouldn't have created, and served, the 'pro-gay-themed cake' it is absolutely not discrimination. How could it be if they wouldn't have offered the same service to a straight person? It can't; not on these grounds, anyway.