Bandwagon Atheists Everywhere!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-12-2012, 06:12 PM
RE: Bandwagon Atheists Everywhere!
I'm leaning the other way on this.

I see no problem with these girls, or anyone else who might feel the same way. So what if their atheism is founded on thinking god is bullshit, or hating god for killing their loved ones, or just because they're rebelling against religious parents, or whatever.

What difference does that make?

There is no rule that says atheists must only arrive at their atheism by scientifically weighing all evidence and making informed decisions about theology. "Atheist" <> "Scientist".

All it takes to be an atheist is not believing in any religion. It seems perfectly fine to me when someone says "I was religious, or considered being religious, but god just seemed like so much bullshit that I dumped it and never looked back." That's perfectly acceptable to me, and I'm glad that person is an atheist because they have the ability to see through bullshit even without needing a science degree or a truckload of atheism books.

I find the O.P.'s notion "I wish they were religious like the rest of them" to be reprehensible. Get real. These girls looked at bullshit religion and saw it for bullshit rather than falling for the lies. It seems to me they should be commended for that and encouraged for taking such a big step even though they don't have the scientific evidence to back it up.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
You could say that this situation is comparable to the bandwagon trend that is occurring with 'nerd-culture'. Now that being a nerd is cool(?), impressionable teenage girls the world over are trying to infiltrate the ranks of the nerds.
Most people's (nerd's) immediate response is that this is an opportunity for to get even -- A chance to say "Fuck you. I suffered to get where I am. --Blah blah, social pariah, etc, etc.--" Whereas some people see it as an opportunity to expose otherwise unwilling people to their culture.

The question is: would you rather accept these people despite the fact that some are only doing this because it's cool or rebellious and possibly start a trend that by way of peer pressure and mass appeal exposes more people to logic and scientific literacy, or reject these potential newcomers, and possibly establish (or amplify) a militant hatred of you and atheists in general.

You're behaving like a hipster that's just discovered that his favorite indie band's new album just went gold. Instead of being happy that people have discovered and can take part in something that you enjoy, you reject them as 'posers' and return to your one-man circlejerk.
12-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Reminds me of this.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
12-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I don't think one needs a reason to be an atheist. It's the other way around, or so you'd think - you sort of need a reason to be religious (being born into a religious family is among the top reasons, as well as the most difficult to shake off).

After all, we are all born atheist. And then society and even our own parents pounce on us and in many cases that's that No

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-12-2012, 08:40 AM
(10-12-2012 10:03 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I've been seeing and talking to a few bandwagon atheists lately.

They are all girls for some strange reason, and popular ones too.

I asked them why they don't believe, and it wasn't because they have weighed the evidence and made a conclusion from there. They claimed that it was just "bullshit." Even though it is true it angers me that they are scientifically illiterate. They don't know how old the earth is, they don't know how old the universe is, and they don't know how evolution works.

I wish they were religious like the rest of them.

One of them said "when I grow up I am becoming an Atheist."

This made me incredibly mad even though I didn't show it, I just nodded in reassurance.

You don't "become" an atheist when you "grow up." You either don't believe in a god, or you do. You don't have to go through any test, and you don't have to get splashed with some water.

She was a mormon, so I can't blame her. I can blame her parents though.
I agree with Aseptic Skeptic. I see this in a different way. Since they think it's all "bullshit", they must have arrived at that conclusion somehow even if they aren't articulating it or even don't consciously know how themselves. The point is, there is obviously nothing to convince them it's anymore than bullshit. So what does that really mean? There's no evidence... They see no evidence for "god" so therefore it's bullshit. Clap

Now I would agree that they aren't in a very good position to believe there is no evidence if they haven't really gone looking to see what evidence is or isn't out there. But I think they are merely saying that, despite all the religious babble they have heard up to now, they have seen no evidence to convince them it's true and the babble doesn't fit reality.

Regarding "when I grow up I am becoming an atheist", that's probably just a poor way of phrasing it. They are probably really saying "right now I'm stuck going to church because my parents make me, but when I'm old enough to do my own thing, I'm staying the hell away from those churches".

Personally I'm encouraged that it's not the religion bandwagon they are jumping on. Yes

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
12-12-2012, 08:08 PM
(11-12-2012 03:35 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 01:35 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  They are, but I wouldn't date them. I like pretty girls, not hot girls.

You cannot teach someone to not be ignorant either, they can only teach themselves.

They ARE ignorant, they are the YOLO type of people, the people that thing they have some "swag" entity following them everywhere.
First of all, you can tell them facts whether or not they take it to heart is indeed their decision. You can nudge them in the right direction. Ask them how they came the the conclusion tag God doesn't exist. If they can't answer you, just shake your head and be done with them.

You still haven't answered my question.
I don't know what question you are referring to but I will answer one that I didn't.

I do not want to be grouped in with them. They are idiotic, and people tend to think people of your same groups are identical to you.

Broad generalization is a powerful factor in school life, that's how people get put into their categories.

Once your in a category it's hard to get out, especially when you're grouped with people that have the intelligence of a packing peanut.

The people that are bandwagon atheists anger me because they are grouped in with me. They themselves don't care for knowledge like I do.

I will talk with them on the matters of science more, but if they don't understand I am just going to have to quit on them.

Our generation is filled with people that want to be on the Disney channel or people that want to be actors. We need more people like Atothetheist, people with the drive to become intelligent through knowledge and hereditary intelligence.
12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
(12-12-2012 08:40 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 10:03 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I've been seeing and talking to a few bandwagon atheists lately.

They are all girls for some strange reason, and popular ones too.

I asked them why they don't believe, and it wasn't because they have weighed the evidence and made a conclusion from there. They claimed that it was just "bullshit." Even though it is true it angers me that they are scientifically illiterate. They don't know how old the earth is, they don't know how old the universe is, and they don't know how evolution works.

I wish they were religious like the rest of them.

One of them said "when I grow up I am becoming an Atheist."

This made me incredibly mad even though I didn't show it, I just nodded in reassurance.

You don't "become" an atheist when you "grow up." You either don't believe in a god, or you do. You don't have to go through any test, and you don't have to get splashed with some water.

She was a mormon, so I can't blame her. I can blame her parents though.
I agree with Aseptic Skeptic. I see this in a different way. Since they think it's all "bullshit", they must have arrived at that conclusion somehow even if they aren't articulating it or even don't consciously know how themselves. The point is, there is obviously nothing to convince them it's anymore than bullshit. So what does that really mean? There's no evidence... They see no evidence for "god" so therefore it's bullshit. Clap

Now I would agree that they aren't in a very good position to believe there is no evidence if they haven't really gone looking to see what evidence is or isn't out there. But I think they are merely saying that, despite all the religious babble they have heard up to now, they have seen no evidence to convince them it's true and the babble doesn't fit reality.

Regarding "when I grow up I am becoming an atheist", that's probably just a poor way of phrasing it. They are probably really saying "right now I'm stuck going to church because my parents make me, but when I'm old enough to do my own thing, I'm staying the hell away from those churches".

Personally I'm encouraged that it's not the religion bandwagon they are jumping on. Yes
I don't think it's because they have weighed the evidence. I think it's because they are too lazy to look into it, and they heard that it's "bullshit." And they want to be rebels.
12-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Why are you complaining? This is a commonality to EVERY GROUP THAT HAS EVER EXISTED.

"There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it."
- Larry Niven

[Image: 20110816.gif]

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
(11-12-2012 09:16 PM)Bag of Shenanigans Wrote:  You could say that this situation is comparable to the bandwagon trend that is occurring with 'nerd-culture'. Now that being a nerd is cool(?), impressionable teenage girls the world over are trying to infiltrate the ranks of the nerds.
Most people's (nerd's) immediate response is that this is an opportunity for to get even -- A chance to say "Fuck you. I suffered to get where I am. --Blah blah, social pariah, etc, etc.--" Whereas some people see it as an opportunity to expose otherwise unwilling people to their culture.

The question is: would you rather accept these people despite the fact that some are only doing this because it's cool or rebellious and possibly start a trend that by way of peer pressure and mass appeal exposes more people to logic and scientific literacy, or reject these potential newcomers, and possibly establish (or amplify) a militant hatred of you and atheists in general.

You're behaving like a hipster that's just discovered that his favorite indie band's new album just went gold. Instead of being happy that people have discovered and can take part in something that you enjoy, you reject them as 'posers' and return to your one-man circlejerk.

Not in the slightest way am I angry that they don't believe, and that because they don't believe I am not special anymore.

I am angry because they don't represent atheism in the right way, if they were to get into an argument they would have nothing to stand on, in return making all atheists look like idiots.

I said it once and I will say it again, broad generalization is a key factor in society.
12-12-2012, 08:16 PM
(11-12-2012 06:12 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I'm leaning the other way on this.

I see no problem with these girls, or anyone else who might feel the same way. So what if their atheism is founded on thinking god is bullshit, or hating god for killing their loved ones, or just because they're rebelling against religious parents, or whatever.

What difference does that make?

There is no rule that says atheists must only arrive at their atheism by scientifically weighing all evidence and making informed decisions about theology. "Atheist" <> "Scientist".

All it takes to be an atheist is not believing in any religion. It seems perfectly fine to me when someone says "I was religious, or considered being religious, but god just seemed like so much bullshit that I dumped it and never looked back." That's perfectly acceptable to me, and I'm glad that person is an atheist because they have the ability to see through bullshit even without needing a science degree or a truckload of atheism books.

I find the O.P.'s notion "I wish they were religious like the rest of them" to be reprehensible. Get real. These girls looked at bullshit religion and saw it for bullshit rather than falling for the lies. It seems to me they should be commended for that and encouraged for taking such a big step even though they don't have the scientific evidence to back it up.

You can think that.

But I bet you in 4 years or so, they will head straight back to religion.

Actually, let's wait 4 months and I will ask them about their atheism and see what they say, I bet you they will no longer be atheist.

It's a waiting game now Drinking Beverage