Bandwagon Atheists Everywhere!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-12-2012, 08:19 PM
RE: Bandwagon Atheists Everywhere!
And don't think I sound conceited because I don't want to be grouped in with them, there is good reason.

They did not arrive on their conclusion based on evidence! I talked to them about it, all they said is that it was bullshit.

2 out of 3 of them don't even go to church, they know nothing about the other side.

And I guess I can take back what I said about wanting them to return to religion, because it's as if they never even left.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2012, 08:41 PM
(12-12-2012 08:19 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  And don't think I sound conceited because I don't want to be grouped in with them, there is good reason.

They did not arrive on their conclusion based on evidence! I talked to them about it, all they said is that it was bullshit.

2 out of 3 of them don't even go to church, they know nothing about the other side.

And I guess I can take back what I said about wanting them to return to religion, because it's as if they never even left.
Reminds me of the too mainstream meme

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
12-12-2012, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 09:41 PM by UndercoverAtheist.)
(12-12-2012 08:41 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 08:19 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  And don't think I sound conceited because I don't want to be grouped in with them, there is good reason.

Reminds me of the too mainstream meme
NO! I couldn't care less if they are self proclaimed atheists or not!

I just don't want to be grouped in with them.

I am far from hipster.

I haven't even grown a mustache yet!
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
12-12-2012, 10:36 PM
(12-12-2012 09:22 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 08:41 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Reminds me of the too mainstream meme
NO! I couldn't care less if they are self proclaimed atheists or not!

I just don't want to be grouped in with them.

I am far from hipster.

I haven't even grown a mustache yet!
I came to atheism before the new-atheism movement.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
13-12-2012, 02:36 AM
His shirt.
VVVV
[Image: it-crowd-tshits-s4e4t4a.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
13-12-2012, 03:01 AM

You don't sound conceited; you sound clueless. You are already grouped with them. You're human, they're human. Not sure where you live, but do they live there too? If so, that's two groups. Skin color? Hair color? Same school? Same employer? Family ties? Do you go to the same dentist? There could be dozens of "groups" that you all have in common. That must mean you are just like them.

What's one more group? What difference would that make?

Who cares? Only you.

(12-12-2012 08:19 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  They did not arrive on their conclusion based on evidence! I talked to them about it, all they said is that it was bullshit.

Good enough for me. They look at religion, even if from afar, and see the bullshit. Sounds like they're more perceptive than you give them credit for. Hell, even if all they did was hear someone else say it's bullshit so they decided it must be bullshit, that's still better than hearing someone else say Jesus loves them so they decide to be Jesus-freaks. Even if they're swinging in the dark, they still got a hit rather than a miss.

(12-12-2012 08:19 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  2 out of 3 of them don't even go to church, they know nothing about the other side.

Nothing? Absolutely nothing? Never heard of Jesus? Never heard of Adam, Eve, Noah, Satan, God, etc.? They never heard or saw anything or knew religious people? Not friggin likely.

See, like I said, you just sound clueless.

(12-12-2012 08:19 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  And I guess I can take back what I said about wanting them to return to religion, because it's as if they never even left.

Two of them never went to church, so how could they have never left religion when they've never been to church and know nothing about it? You can't have it both ways, even when you throw in an "as if" to make it seem hypothetical - your large font betrays your real emphasis.

(12-12-2012 08:19 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I said it once and I will say it again, broad generalization is a key factor in society.

But aren't you making broad generalizations about these self-proclaimed atheists?

Sounds to me like the problem is yours, not theirs. You're the one writing them off as worthless for no apparent reason. Any chance you're jealous, or embarrassed, because these girls figured out that religion was bullshit way faster, and way more easily, than you yourself did? Don't deny it too fast, this may be more of a subconscious prejudice rather than a conscious evaluation. Maybe, deep down, you resent the ease that their bullshit detectors came to the right conclusion while you had to take the long way to get there? Sure, now you can win a debate more easily than they can, but they still made you look like the slow one for taking so long to get to the truth. Maybe my guess is off the mark, but I'm still betting that there's something else going on here, something in your psyche, driving you to this strange conclusion with little actual reason.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
13-12-2012, 03:32 AM
The irony in the OP is causing my brain to bleed.. O.o
13-12-2012, 05:23 AM
My experience is that worrying what groups other people put you in is an exercise in futility because however carefully you make statements or research your facts before stating anything, that won't stop dumb fucks from classifying you as whatever it is in their interests to classify you as. Why should you care what groups people associate you with. You will not become dumb because people make assertions you are or a bigot because people assert you are, just as you cannot prove the existence of god(s) by assertion.

Remember humans are just African apes. And African apes are social animals and live in groups for a variety of sensible reasons in the wild. So as long as you insist on having interactions with African apes be prepared to be put in a group with them.

It obviously matters to you that what you think is true so you seek justification for accepting any statement as true, I think that's admirable. But then again it might be my primate ancestry wanting to identify with your grouping. This need for evidence for accepting claims as true I think increases our likelihood of making it to mating age because we are less likely to die young from making suicidal mistakes and therefore I can subjectively say its makes us more successful/better than other groupings of primates. However, I don't have any studies on this higher survival rates and therefore that's just a hypothesis that at this point.

Do you have objective proof their atheism is unsubstantiated or are confusing their inability to articulate their substantiation with a lack of it

---------------------------------------------------------------
Knowledge can be given, Understanding must be earned
13-12-2012, 10:17 AM
(12-12-2012 08:10 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 08:40 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I agree with Aseptic Skeptic. I see this in a different way. Since they think it's all "bullshit", they must have arrived at that conclusion somehow even if they aren't articulating it or even don't consciously know how themselves. The point is, there is obviously nothing to convince them it's anymore than bullshit. So what does that really mean? There's no evidence... They see no evidence for "god" so therefore it's bullshit. Clap

Now I would agree that they aren't in a very good position to believe there is no evidence if they haven't really gone looking to see what evidence is or isn't out there. But I think they are merely saying that, despite all the religious babble they have heard up to now, they have seen no evidence to convince them it's true and the babble doesn't fit reality.

Regarding "when I grow up I am becoming an atheist", that's probably just a poor way of phrasing it. They are probably really saying "right now I'm stuck going to church because my parents make me, but when I'm old enough to do my own thing, I'm staying the hell away from those churches".

Personally I'm encouraged that it's not the religion bandwagon they are jumping on. Yes
I don't think it's because they have weighed the evidence. I think it's because they are too lazy to look into it, and they heard that it's "bullshit." And they want to be rebels.
I wasn't saying they weighed the evidence, I meant that no evidence has made itself known to them while they simply go about their daily lives. If you told me you saw a flying alligator yesterday, I may not bother to look into whether it's true, but I would not believe it either. Of course I would remain open to the idea that if I actually saw one or you produced proof, I could change my mind, but in the meantime in the absence of such evidence, I would not believe it because I know it's normally a preposterous claim. And why would I spend time on a preposterous claim trying to establish whether it's really true? I have better things to do with that time.

Of course, you know them and I don't so it's quite possible you're interpretation is right on the mark. But I haven't heard anything specific to support that they are lazy or want to be rebels so I'm not ready to jump on that bandwagon. Tongue Plus, even if they are, that doesn't automatically mean they have no other reason for believing religion is bullshit. (It is after all...)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
13-12-2012, 11:34 AM
(12-12-2012 10:36 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I came to atheism before the new-atheism movement.
Hipster. Wink

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]