Banned Member's Given Reps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Banned Member's Given Reps
I have heard this mentioned before by someone, but I'm gonna bring it up. I am of the opinion that people who have been banned should also have their given reputations removed as well. Some people have said that they wear their negative reps from banned members like a badge, but allowing it can often be dishonest. Many former members have been banned for having sock puppet accounts, which allowed them to give multiple reps to the same person. This is usually a privilege reserved for staff and vets. By allowing these reps to remain you are saying that these members deserve the same privilege that are normally given to people who have significantly and positively impacted TTA. Just my two cents.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
23-09-2013, 11:47 PM
RE: Banned Member's Given Reps
I always wondered why i couldnt rep 1 person twice...

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
24-09-2013, 03:28 AM
I suppose I could run a database query to remove those reps given by users in the banned group.

It's not something that will happen automatically though. The forum doesn't have that function built in as far as I know.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
24-09-2013, 06:00 AM
(24-09-2013 03:28 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I suppose I could run a database query to remove those reps given by users in the banned group.

It's not something that will happen automatically though. The forum doesn't have that function built in as far as I know.

How about a modification to the rep computation code that ignores the numerical contribution of a banned member? Leave the rep in the db, but just don't include it in the evaluation.

Win-win.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-09-2013, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2013 06:40 AM by DeepThought.)
(24-09-2013 06:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 03:28 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I suppose I could run a database query to remove those reps given by users in the banned group.

How about a modification to the rep computation code that ignores the numerical contribution of a banned member? Leave the rep in the db, but just don't include it in the evaluation.

Win-win.

MyBB doesnt compute all the reps each time a user is shown. It simply increments or decrements a counter when reps are given or removed.

I could patch the recount/rebuild code. But that is probably as mush work as running a periodic query and adding it as a scheduled task.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
24-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Whatever Deepers.
Thanks for all you do for us.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-09-2013, 08:37 AM
(24-09-2013 06:18 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 06:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  How about a modification to the rep computation code that ignores the numerical contribution of a banned member? Leave the rep in the db, but just don't include it in the evaluation.

Win-win.

MyBB doesnt compute all the reps each time a user is shown. It simply increments or decrements a counter when reps are given or removed.

I could patch the recount/rebuild code. But that is probably as mush work as running a periodic query and adding it as a scheduled task.

I just favor a solution that retains the history.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Or, you could just add a "report" button for reps made by banned members, so those who want to keep it can, and those who doesn't can make you guys work to remove it. It would only be a couple of rep so it wouldn't be THAT much work

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
24-09-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised at the support this thread has received Big Grin Also, Chas suggestion seems reasonable and equitable if it is also implementable.

24-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Sorry DL but I'm against this. I say let the reps stay.

If you remove reps by banned members then it's only right to remove the positives as well and I don't agree with that.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.