Banned twice in one week

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 09:03 AM
RE: Banned twice in one week
(22-03-2014 10:52 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You were literally banned for being an atheist. Wth?

I used to post at worthychristianforums. I never got "officially" banned, but it was obvious it was coming.

They have a pretty strict ToS over there, and among other things, you have to be polite and respectful. They tend to be much more lax on believers abusing the ToS (and they know who is who because I was in a special "non-believer" member group, complete with a big red label under my name!). That being said, I took it pretty seriously, and was never disrespectful.

That didn't stop the mods from getting creating at interpreting the ToS to say I was violating it by being a non-believer and not being there to be converted. The whole thing got really weird, and I just left, because what's the point at fighting an uphill battle against two mods? From what I hear, things have calmed down over there, and I may or may not start posting again, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 09:10 AM
(22-03-2014 10:17 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  So, I was one of the many TTA faithful who was accidentally banned. It looks like those glitches are behind us, but I'll remain skeptical for a bit longer.

As a result of this "banishment" I decided to join a Christian forum that TubbyTubby had mentioned in a post on here. At first I merely offered personal advice, leaving vague details to my worldview. But as these people started to be attracted to my unique outlook on life, they began asking more and more questions about me. Once it became obvious I had a "worldly" view and not a biblical one, I came clean and started a KingsChosen thread, except obviously I titled it, "Ask an Atheist!"

I set very similar ground rules to the ones KC used in his thread and the Christians could resist me. One guy, who said he was a scientist, threw a bunch of science crap at me about the cell and DNA, and I played along for a bit before I just finally told him atheism is just a stance on one topic and that's it, it's not equivalent to science nor does atheism claim anything about science, the origin of life or the universe.

He didn't even know what the God of the Gaps argument was and he shoved his head into the sand the second I offered to explain all of the fallacies he was committing. And despite finally understanding what atheism is, he still couldn't stop asking me about science conundrums and I pleaded with him to understand what the Gaps argument was so he would stop asking me similarly ignorant questions, but like most Christians the indoctrination ran deep with this "scientist" and he couldn't see past his own agenda.

Others used beauty as their incredulity toward someone not believing in their god. Some asked if I believed the words of Jesus were recorded accurately and when I told them no they again were incredulous. Many resorted to ad hominems, despite me being very patient and taking the high road.

Tubby, if you're reading this, can you tell me if there has been any backlash or hubbub over my brief stint there?

I was so looking forward to responding to the rest of their questions when I found out I was banned. I had at least a dozen alerts in my account, meaning there were that many questions or remarks waiting for me but alas, I am banned. It took less than 36 hours, and I'm terribly disappointed for two reasons. The first is I wanted to use this exercise for content on my blog. But the other reason is a couple of people were PMing me asking questions, and I felt like I could have worked to get them to open their eyes, but now I won't have that chance.

Pussies.

I misread the first part that you'd found a christian forum named: Tubbytubby

Buwwaaahaaaa
(laughs at her own stupid self)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
27-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Would it be possible to troll a christian forum by pretending to be agnostic and asking questions with a view to converting?

How long would it take before they become suspicious?

Purely an academic question of course.
27-03-2014, 09:31 AM
(27-03-2014 09:17 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Would it be possible to troll a christian forum by pretending to be agnostic and asking questions with a view to converting?

How long would it take before they become suspicious?

Purely an academic question of course.

I like to browse Christian forums sometimes. Since I was a Christian the majority of my life, I like seeing how others interpret and defend what I used to believe. I also like seeing how atheists are viewed and what they think of us.

From the threads I've read, the troll accusation comes pretty quick to people who begin to question too many things. Not in terms of the whole forum, but there are usually a couple people who jump on it real quick. Not saying they're all like that, but from the threads I've surfed, that seems to be the pattern.

I'm not interested in stirring the pot. I spent most of my life with Catholics and Christians. More now I just want to see what they think and say of atheists when they can do it anonymously behind a computer. I know I didn't like atheists. I didn't know why. I just knew I was right and they were wrong.

Sometimes I want to chime in and refute some of the common misconceptions. But honestly, I'd have as much luck converting/ convincing theists on a theists forum, as a theists would have converting/ convincing atheists on an atheists forum.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 2 users Like =jesse='s post
27-03-2014, 09:38 AM
(22-03-2014 03:17 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You are a better man than I am Charlie Brown. If I go there I might have an anurism!

I should have listened to this advice. I went lurking, and the first thread I read made my blood boil. Couldn't get past the first page of posts. Facepalm

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
27-03-2014, 09:40 AM
(27-03-2014 09:31 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  From the threads I've read, the troll accusation comes pretty quick to people who begin to question too many things. Not in terms of the whole forum, but there are usually a couple people who jump on it real quick. Not saying they're all like that, but from the threads I've surfed, that seems to be the pattern.

Hmm yes I can see that happening. I wonder if a good cover story would be that you have a partner who is an atheist and you need answers to their questions. It could be difficult though to put forward questions if you claim not to properly understand them yourself.

Personally I can't actually be bothered doing all this and I am of the the opinion that everybody has to find what works for them. I was just wondering how you could do it successfully.
27-03-2014, 11:28 AM
(27-03-2014 09:40 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Hmm yes I can see that happening. I wonder if a good cover story would be that you have a partner who is an atheist and you need answers to their questions. It could be difficult though to put forward questions if you claim not to properly understand them yourself.

I doubt it. They've probably already encountered most of these stories. Reverse the roles and see how you'd feel: an "atheist" joins this site, saying they've married a Christian and their spouse keeps asking them these hard questions and they don't know how to respond.

It reeks of concern trolling.

"Man, I agree with you guys, but those Christians bring up some really good points. Lets look at those points in depth."

[Image: concerned_trollcat.jpg]
27-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Lookingforanswers is a perfect example of someone who has an atheist partner and came on here for "answers" but ended up being trollish.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I did the exact same thing. Even copied KC Laugh out load
But I've been following their rules closely. So, there is a call to ban me, but they have no reason to Evil_monster

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post