Banning Cell Phones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Banning Cell Phones
The NTSB issued a proclamation banning cell phones being used by drivers for texting, talking, or surfing the web. Their claim is that it will save lives. The claim is that studies show that distracted driving contributes to accidents, and using a cell phone distracts you from driving.

Really?

I’m just guessing here - but it seems to me that they’re not really looking at this in the right way.

Saying cell phones causes accidents is like saying spoons cause obesity.

We don’t have a cell phone problem. We have a people problem. The simple fact is - the states issue drivers licenses to just about any schmuck that applies for them. I’m betting that there’s at least one state that issues the driver’s exam in Braille. Quite frankly, some people are just too scatterbrained, inattentive, or stupid to drive.

There’s some people who simply have the attention span of a fruit fly with ADD. Driving isn’t enough stimulation for them. If you take away their cell phone, they’ll play with the radio. If you take away the radio, they’ll play with the heater control, the turn signals or the emergency brake. Take those away, and they’ll play with themselves. Believe me - I’ve actually observed a guy whacking off while driving. (You see a lot of strange stuff when riding a motorcycle.)

Think about this - police officers and other emergency personnel have been using two way radios for over 50 years - and frequently do it while chasing vehicles at high speeds. Sometimes they’re even shooting at the fleeing vehicle and/or being shot at. Somehow they manage to do all of this without running off the road. I think there’s a very good reason - the cops are PAYING ATTENTION. Good for them.

If you really want to reduce fatalities in motor vehicles - quit blathering on about how safe they’ve gotten. Air bags, seat belts and increased roof pillars probably do help - but it also lulls the average driver into thinking cars are a safe thing. They are not. Driving a vehicle of any type is a dangerous activity. All sorts of things can go wrong, and Mr Murphy predicts that anything that can go wrong, will.

If you REALLY want to reduce accidents - make the driver’s exams much harder than they are. Include a test for attention span. Don’t issue driver’s licenses to fruit flies. People do not have the right to drive poorly.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
30-01-2015, 10:23 AM
RE: Banning Cell Phones
(30-01-2015 10:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The NTSB issued a proclamation banning cell phones being used by drivers for texting, talking, or surfing the web. Their claim is that it will save lives. The claim is that studies show that distracted driving contributes to accidents, and using a cell phone distracts you from driving.

Really?

Yes. Drinking Beverage

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 15 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
30-01-2015, 10:53 AM
It's their job to be on the safe side.

There are reports showing now that even hands free communication isn't actually making talking on phones safer than holding a phone while talking. It's because either way it's two forms of cognitive process for most people to have to try and focus on driving and the conversation. For some people the aspect of driving can be so fluid and be mostly beyond something actively cognitive but it appears for most it still isn't.

If you wanted to "train" people to drive in the manner of police levels it would be something you could do to make a difference. Maybe they should have courses of extra training so you can be allowed to talk on a phone and drive if you want more serious demands on who can drive.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-01-2015, 12:21 PM
It's been illegal to drive and use a mobile phone in the UK for years...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
30-01-2015, 12:34 PM
It's illegal in my state.

My car has hands free so it's not an issue for me.

That said....omfg who is actualy dumb enough to surf the web while driving?

I mean fucking hell really?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-01-2015, 12:41 PM
(30-01-2015 10:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The NTSB issued a proclamation banning cell phones being used by drivers for texting, talking, or surfing the web. Their claim is that it will save lives. The claim is that studies show that distracted driving contributes to accidents, and using a cell phone distracts you from driving.

Really?

I’m just guessing here - but it seems to me that they’re not really looking at this in the right way.

Saying cell phones causes accidents is like saying spoons cause obesity.

We don’t have a cell phone problem. We have a people problem. The simple fact is - the states issue drivers licenses to just about any schmuck that applies for them. I’m betting that there’s at least one state that issues the driver’s exam in Braille. Quite frankly, some people are just too scatterbrained, inattentive, or stupid to drive.

There’s some people who simply have the attention span of a fruit fly with ADD. Driving isn’t enough stimulation for them. If you take away their cell phone, they’ll play with the radio. If you take away the radio, they’ll play with the heater control, the turn signals or the emergency brake. Take those away, and they’ll play with themselves. Believe me - I’ve actually observed a guy whacking off while driving. (You see a lot of strange stuff when riding a motorcycle.)

Think about this - police officers and other emergency personnel have been using two way radios for over 50 years - and frequently do it while chasing vehicles at high speeds. Sometimes they’re even shooting at the fleeing vehicle and/or being shot at. Somehow they manage to do all of this without running off the road. I think there’s a very good reason - the cops are PAYING ATTENTION. Good for them.

If you really want to reduce fatalities in motor vehicles - quit blathering on about how safe they’ve gotten. Air bags, seat belts and increased roof pillars probably do help - but it also lulls the average driver into thinking cars are a safe thing. They are not. Driving a vehicle of any type is a dangerous activity. All sorts of things can go wrong, and Mr Murphy predicts that anything that can go wrong, will.

If you REALLY want to reduce accidents - make the driver’s exams much harder than they are. Include a test for attention span. Don’t issue driver’s licenses to fruit flies. People do not have the right to drive poorly.

So you really think you can drive a car, text and surf the web at the same time? Where do you live? I want to make sure I'm not driving anywhere near you.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-01-2015, 12:41 PM
(30-01-2015 10:53 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's their job to be on the safe side.

There are reports showing now that even hands free communication isn't actually making talking on phones safer than holding a phone while talking. It's because either way it's two forms of cognitive process for most people to have to try and focus on driving and the conversation. For some people the aspect of driving can be so fluid and be mostly beyond something actively cognitive but it appears for most it still isn't.

I think that's kinda a crock.

What's next, should we make it illegal to have passengers in the car? What about the parent with the baby in the backseat? Maybe that should be declared a distraction too? Eating while driving, let's get rid of drive through...or take out.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-01-2015, 12:51 PM
(30-01-2015 10:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Saying cell phones causes accidents is like saying spoons cause obesity.

They aren't saying cell phones cause accidents. They are saying the way people use cell phones - specifically while driving - causes accidents. And they're right. It shouldn't require laws to convince people not to text or surf the web while driving. That fact that it's completely stupid should be reason enough, but unfortunately there are plenty of completely stupid people too.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
30-01-2015, 12:57 PM
The issue will be obviated by automatically driven cars within a couple decades.

Do note, OP, that the vast majority of drivers self-asses as above average.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
30-01-2015, 01:01 PM
(30-01-2015 12:51 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 10:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Saying cell phones causes accidents is like saying spoons cause obesity.

They aren't saying cell phones cause accidents. They are saying the way people use cell phones - specifically while driving - causes accidents. And they're right. It shouldn't require laws to convince people not to text or surf the web while driving. That fact that it's completely stupid should be reason enough, but unfortunately there are plenty of completely stupid people too.

Indeed. Try as I might, I can't see what's unreasonable about an attempt to prevent people from engaging in behaviour which actively endangers others.

I mean, yes, I get that all public policy issues can be boiled down to a conflict between individual freedom versus societal cost/benefit, but I'm kind of shocked that OP seems to be saying he doesn't like these types of restrictions because they're not restrictive enough?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post