Banning Cell Phones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2015, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2015 05:42 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Banning Cell Phones
(30-01-2015 12:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 10:53 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's their job to be on the safe side.

There are reports showing now that even hands free communication isn't actually making talking on phones safer than holding a phone while talking. It's because either way it's two forms of cognitive process for most people to have to try and focus on driving and the conversation. For some people the aspect of driving can be so fluid and be mostly beyond something actively cognitive but it appears for most it still isn't.

I think that's kinda a crock.

What's next, should we make it illegal to have passengers in the car? What about the parent with the baby in the backseat? Maybe that should be declared a distraction too? Eating while driving, let's get rid of drive through...or take out.

Well there are studies that show that there are increased accidents with more people in the car, dramatically so for teenagers. The simple fact is ANY distraction AT ALL, is bad. Sounds unreasonable, but it's a fact. Human brains can basically only do one complex thing at a time. So yeah. Can't wait for the day when cars drive themselves. Some day humans will look back and wonder at how idiotic it was to allow random distracted people to speed around in death traps aiming at each other.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-01-2015, 01:52 PM
(30-01-2015 01:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 12:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think that's kinda a crock.

What's next, should we make it illegal to have passengers in the car? What about the parent with the baby in the backseat? Maybe that should be declared a distraction too? Eating while driving, let's get rid of drive through...or take out.

Well there are studies that show that there are increased accidents with more people in the car, dramatically so for teenagers. The simple fact is ANY distraction AT ALL, is bad. Sounds inreasonable, but it's a fact. Human brains can basically only do one complex thing at a time.

Oh, I don't disagree -- and I know California did (or maybe does) limit passengers in cars driven by teen drivers. I think there was also something about night driving I seem to recall.

Still where are the people calling for banning passengers in cars or any of the other multiple distractions, like even music? Consider

I think cell phones are a scapegoat to much more complex issue.

Another thought, a friend was recently involved in an accident, another driver stopped short in front of her and she got rear ended when she stopped to avoid hitting the car in front of her.

The police officer asked her specifically if she was using her cell phone. She said she wasn't. Still when she got a copy of the police report the officer mentioned she had cell phone close by (she keeps in a cup holder).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

30-01-2015, 02:18 PM
I would imagine there are levels of distraction. Talking hands free seems no different than talking to a passenger. Texting while driving is obviously more distracting and is the action of a moron.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
30-01-2015, 02:18 PM
I guess I didn't make my point clearly enough.

I do NOT use my cell while driving. Ever.

Nor do I eat, drink, apply makeup, smoke, or play with myself.

I drive. I've been doing so for 40 years - and have NEVER been the cause of an accident. I also work on cars, and have a keen respect for what they will and will not do.

I also see morons out there - every day. People who simply should never be behind the wheel of anything. Period.

But -- everybody thinks it's their right, to drive poorly. Air bags, seat belts, vehicle proximity avoidance systems, blah, blah, blah make vehicles "safe ---- and the morons will find SOME way of crashing into other people.

Banning cellphones doesn't really solve the problem.

Getting rid of the morons will.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-01-2015, 05:15 PM
(30-01-2015 01:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 01:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well there are studies that show that there are increased accidents with more people in the car, dramatically so for teenagers. The simple fact is ANY distraction AT ALL, is bad. Sounds inreasonable, but it's a fact. Human brains can basically only do one complex thing at a time.

Oh, I don't disagree -- and I know California did (or maybe does) limit passengers in cars driven by teen drivers. I think there was also something about night driving I seem to recall.

Still where are the people calling for banning passengers in cars or any of the other multiple distractions, like even music? Consider

Another thought, a friend was recently involved in an accident, another driver stopped short in front of her and she got rear ended when she stopped to avoid hitting the car in front of her.

The police officer asked her specifically if she was using her cell phone. She said she wasn't. Still when she got a copy of the police report the officer mentioned she had cell phone close by (she keeps in a cup holder).

Cell phones are a greater distraction because they are a triple threat: attention, sight, and hands.

Probably only sex would be a greater distraction.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-01-2015, 05:44 PM
California DOES have a law that prohibits teenagers from having ANY passengers in the car under the age of 18 until they have been a licensed driver for a year. They also have an 11:00 p.m. curfew. Most of the teenagers I know (friends of my daughters) have routinely broken these laws.

People are going to do what they want - there is a law in California banning any cell phone use in the car that is not hands-free. But I see tons of drivers on the roads and freeways on their phones, texting, etc. Yesterday, I passed a lady on the Freeway that was so involved with her phone she was driving 40 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. UGH! And this is southern CA, where cars seemingly outnumber people.

My point being, laws aren't going to stop people from being stupid. There are still plenty of drunks, texters, makeup artists, etc. on the road. Even so, I am for the laws being in place. At least some people will do the right thing.
30-01-2015, 06:00 PM
I see how the phone distracts drivers, not too hard to figure that out.
I wonder though, why there's no one bitching about the display screens auto manufacturers have been building into the dashboards of modern vehicles.
It's like having a video game built into the car for the sole purpose of distracting the driver!
If talking to someone on the phone, even handsfree, is too distracting for some drivers, then what the hell do they do when there's another person in the car? Ingnore and gag them?
Sure driving and texting is a problem, it's just not the only problem. If we're to be completely committed to vehicle safety, then blaming one distraction over another is ridiculous.
I also agree with onlinebiker, there are plenty of people who have no business driving.
It is entirely too easy to get a drivers license.
While we're at it, bring back annual vehicle safety inspections too.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
30-01-2015, 06:17 PM
(30-01-2015 06:00 PM)pablo Wrote:  I see how the phone distracts drivers, not too hard to figure that out.
I wonder though, why there's no one bitching about the display screens auto manufacturers have been building into the dashboards of modern vehicles.
It's like having a video game built into the car for the sole purpose of distracting the driver!
If talking to someone on the phone, even handsfree, is too distracting for some drivers, then what the hell do they do when there's another person in the car? Ingnore and gag them?
Sure driving and texting is a problem, it's just not the only problem. If we're to be completely committed to vehicle safety, then blaming one distraction over another is ridiculous.
I also agree with onlinebiker, there are plenty of people who have no business driving.
It is entirely too easy to get a drivers license.
While we're at it, bring back annual vehicle safety inspections too.

Will second the annual inspections - and make it realistic....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Quote:Really?

Yes really.

[Image: oscar.png]
30-01-2015, 06:39 PM
(30-01-2015 05:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 01:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh, I don't disagree -- and I know California did (or maybe does) limit passengers in cars driven by teen drivers. I think there was also something about night driving I seem to recall.

Cell phones are a greater distraction because they are a triple threat: attention, sight, and hands.

Probably only sex would be a greater distraction.

My husband did ok when I "distracted" him once while driving.

Damn steering wheel gets in the way though. Wink

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post