Banning Cell Phones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2015, 06:48 PM
RE: Banning Cell Phones
(30-01-2015 06:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 05:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Cell phones are a greater distraction because they are a triple threat: attention, sight, and hands.

Probably only sex would be a greater distraction.

My husband did ok when I "distracted" him once while driving.

Damn steering wheel gets in the way though. Wink

Only you can prevent Gypsy curses.

[Image: thinner-02.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-01-2015, 07:31 PM
(30-01-2015 06:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 05:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Cell phones are a greater distraction because they are a triple threat: attention, sight, and hands.

Probably only sex would be a greater distraction.

My husband did ok when I "distracted" him once while driving.

Damn steering wheel gets in the way though. Wink

[Image: hsd-billet-aluminium-steering-wheel-with...9vghi4.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
30-01-2015, 07:55 PM
What is so urgent that you must check internet while driving? I'm speaking with a general "you" here.

The problem with cell phones is that your hands are not on the wheel, and no, one hand is not enough.

I disagree that safety measures make you drive more recklessly. I don't see the logic in "so this car has airbag? I really should try some Rally driving in that narrow mountain road" ...

By the way, many cars now have radio controls in the wheel, one cm away from your thumbs, not the same as surfing the Web.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 3 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
31-01-2015, 09:41 AM
(30-01-2015 02:18 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I guess I didn't make my point clearly enough.

I do NOT use my cell while driving. Ever.

Nor do I eat, drink, apply makeup, smoke, or play with myself.

I drive. I've been doing so for 40 years - and have NEVER been the cause of an accident. I also work on cars, and have a keen respect for what they will and will not do.

I also see morons out there - every day. People who simply should never be behind the wheel of anything. Period.

But -- everybody thinks it's their right, to drive poorly. Air bags, seat belts, vehicle proximity avoidance systems, blah, blah, blah make vehicles "safe ---- and the morons will find SOME way of crashing into other people.

Banning cellphones doesn't really solve the problem.

Getting rid of the morons will.

You are not competent to self-assess your driving in that manner - no one is. Whether or not you've been in an accident is essentially a statistical phenomenon above all else. You can control your own risk factors but you can't alter random chance through sheer force of will.

I note you have reiterated that banning cell phones won't solve the problem. If the problem is accidents happen, then, no, it won't. If the problem is cell phone use while driving, it will certainly have an unambiguous positive impact on that.

Incidentally, how do you propose to "get rid" of the "morons"?

People hurt themselves using stoves. People hurt themselves with tools. People hurt themselves falling down stairs. What nonsensical performance standards and Orwellian surveillance mechanisms do you propose to limit their rights, while you're at it?

... this is my signature!
31-01-2015, 09:55 AM
(30-01-2015 07:55 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  I disagree that safety measures make you drive more recklessly. I don't see the logic in "so this car has airbag? I really should try some Rally driving in that narrow mountain road" ...

There is a genuine phenomenon known as risk compensation, which entails that sort of consequence: people do adjust their behaviour according to their knowledge of and perception of their own safety. Which, on its own, doesn't seem like very much of a revelation...

OP overreaches by neglecting to account for the actual effect of equipment and regulations themselves.

31-01-2015, 10:01 AM
(31-01-2015 09:41 AM)cjlr Wrote:  People hurt themselves using stoves. People hurt themselves with tools. People hurt themselves falling down stairs. What nonsensical performance standards and Orwellian surveillance mechanisms do you propose to limit their rights, while you're at it?

They're not using a poorly guided 3000 lbs missile careening through a crowd of people and just hurting themselves.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-01-2015, 10:16 AM
(31-01-2015 10:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 09:41 AM)cjlr Wrote:  People hurt themselves using stoves. People hurt themselves with tools. People hurt themselves falling down stairs. What nonsensical performance standards and Orwellian surveillance mechanisms do you propose to limit their rights, while you're at it?

They're not using a poorly guided 3000 lbs missile careening through a crowd of people and just hurting themselves.

Ah, yes - but further trivial problems arise.

An increased accident rate raises the cost of healthcare and insurance for everyone. Even leaving aside that those are merely three out of thousands of things I could have mentioned, it would not matter if it were somehow possible to substantiate the incredible assertion that no incident involving the aforementioned could ever directly involve others (!) - it wouldn't matter, because in any society to speak of individual actions and circumstances do not and cannot occur in a vacuum.
(notwithstanding the, you know, thousands of other things people engage in which can and do go wrong and which involve others in their effects)

Look, if you're just ranting because not all people possess exactly equal ability, that's fine. Because yes, sure, that's absolutely and trivially true. That, however, remains true regardless of the data set under consideration. No matter the pool it will contain a "worst" driver.

But that doesn't get to my other point at all, which was that however satisfying the thought might be for "us" to "ban" the "worst" people, there is no sane or practical way to come remotely close to doing so.
(short of some nightmarish totalitarian dictatorship, in which case there would be bigger problems to worry about)

31-01-2015, 10:33 AM
(30-01-2015 02:18 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I guess I didn't make my point clearly enough.

I do NOT use my cell while driving. Ever.

Nor do I eat, drink, apply makeup, smoke, or play with myself.

I drive. I've been doing so for 40 years - and have NEVER been the cause of an accident. I also work on cars, and have a keen respect for what they will and will not do.

I also see morons out there - every day. People who simply should never be behind the wheel of anything. Period.

But -- everybody thinks it's their right, to drive poorly. Air bags, seat belts, vehicle proximity avoidance systems, blah, blah, blah make vehicles "safe ---- and the morons will find SOME way of crashing into other people.

Banning cellphones doesn't really solve the problem.

Getting rid of the morons will.

Yabut so long as morons buy cars and cellphones, there'll be a lobby in government that will stand up for their rights to buy cars and cell phones and be morons.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
31-01-2015, 11:36 AM
(30-01-2015 06:00 PM)pablo Wrote:  I see how the phone distracts drivers, not too hard to figure that out.
I wonder though, why there's no one bitching about the display screens auto manufacturers have been building into the dashboards of modern vehicles.
It's like having a video game built into the car for the sole purpose of distracting the driver!
If talking to someone on the phone, even handsfree, is too distracting for some drivers, then what the hell do they do when there's another person in the car? Ingnore and gag them?
Sure driving and texting is a problem, it's just not the only problem. If we're to be completely committed to vehicle safety, then blaming one distraction over another is ridiculous.
I also agree with onlinebiker, there are plenty of people who have no business driving.
It is entirely too easy to get a drivers license.
While we're at it, bring back annual vehicle safety inspections too.

There are studies being done that bash the visual windshield screens as well. Those are just as potentially disturbing if they have something consciously distracting. There is also people arguing against the idea of Google Glasses for this same issue. It's really not something likely to be easy to do, just because a person is looking forward and not more angled down at their phone; doesn't mean they're going to be visually aware of what they're about to walk into to. People consciously miss what is in front of their eyes when they're looking and paying attention. That's how those swap slight things about two of the same image puzzles can be so effective on people.

There are studies to why phone conversations are actually more distracting to other people. Part of the issue is often people have a foolish sense of there being a problem to not keep talking. It creates an awkward silence when on the phone and people might think there's something wrong with the call or what they last said. It's a situation easily ignored when you can just see the person in the car paying attention to something on the road.

I know I've seen reports and links to studies on these issues from multiple places, but also on this site.. http://youarenotsosmart.com/ I can't remember what page it was mainly focused on though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-01-2015, 12:19 PM
In the uk you are allowed tv screens in your car, you can have them on but not whilst the car is in motion. So under installment a wire is meant to be led to the handbrake to ensure that it can only operate whilst stationary.

They should try to make some sort of system similar with phones. If you are picked up by gps moving at a rapid rate along areas that are know and identifed as roads. Then you should not be able to recieve calls. Some modern car sound systems dont have cd players in, only radios. If you want to listen to your own music you use your phone. The moment that you network your phone, to your car, then calls/texts should be automatically disabled.

Whilst we are on the subject the maximum speed you can drive on certain roads in the uk is 70mph.

Why make cars that can go considerably faster and allow them on the roads?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.