Banning Cell Phones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2015, 12:44 PM
RE: Banning Cell Phones
(31-01-2015 12:19 PM)bemore Wrote:  In the uk you are allowed tv screens in your car, you can have them on but not whilst the car is in motion. So under installment a wire is meant to be led to the handbrake to ensure that it can only operate whilst stationary.

They should try to make some sort of system similar with phones. If you are picked up by gps moving at a rapid rate along areas that are know and identifed as roads. Then you should not be able to recieve calls. Some modern car sound systems dont have cd players in, only radios. If you want to listen to your own music you use your phone. The moment that you network your phone, to your car, then calls/texts should be automatically disabled.

Whilst we are on the subject the maximum speed you can drive on certain roads in the uk is 70mph.

Why make cars that can go considerably faster and allow them on the roads?

In the 70's the US nationwide speed limit was 55 mph. US auto makers were putting out cars with speedometers that only read to 85 mph. There was talk at the time of having mandated governors installed on all new vehicles limiting speeds to just over the legal limit. It never went anywhere.

Americans don't generally admit it - but they like the option of breaking laws.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2015, 01:05 PM

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
01-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Not real scientific (no control group for one) but fun... Part of it is probably the human predisposition to be contrary....

If you went to a fraternity, and told the guys they were REQUIRED to get falling down drunk to graduate - you'd no doubt get some of them bitching about it....

I expect a bit of that is evident here. That's cool though, it does make a good point...

Drive - get there - then text...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-02-2015, 01:40 PM
(31-01-2015 12:19 PM)bemore Wrote:  In the uk you are allowed tv screens in your car, you can have them on but not whilst the car is in motion. So under installment a wire is meant to be led to the handbrake to ensure that it can only operate whilst stationary.

They should try to make some sort of system similar with phones. If you are picked up by gps moving at a rapid rate along areas that are know and identifed as roads. Then you should not be able to recieve calls. Some modern car sound systems dont have cd players in, only radios. If you want to listen to your own music you use your phone. The moment that you network your phone, to your car, then calls/texts should be automatically disabled.

Whilst we are on the subject the maximum speed you can drive on certain roads in the uk is 70mph.

Why? My car has hands free. My phone can be inside my purse and I can still get calls. I push a button on my steering wheel, I don't even have to take my eyes off the road.

How is that any different than having a passenger in the car?

If anything it's less distracting than my mother in law sitting beside me -- that woman NEVER shuts up for a second.

One of my friends has one of those DVD things in her van, her kids are little -- they take longer trips to visit her parents each week. Kids can watch spongebob or whatever with headphones on and she gets a nice quiet drive. It's not a distraction for her, since it's behind her...

She absolutely loves it!

They actually make then so the driver can see the DVD? That's a bit crazy sounding to me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-02-2015, 01:43 PM
(01-02-2015 01:05 PM)Sam Wrote:  

Fucking A....

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
01-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Sorry, I don't understand why this thread was opened and why it is still open when we have studies like this from MIT. To quote:

"This experiment found a significant decrease in situation awareness caused by cell phone usage; however, there was no significant of cell phone use on reaction time observed. This is consistent with anecdotal reports of drivers missing roadway exits or loosing track of their location while engaged in cell phone conversations. No significant improvement was observed with hands-free cell phone use as compared with similar hand-held conditions."

The full study is illuminating.

QED.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
01-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Any operation that requires looking at the phone should be illegal.

No one can safely text while driving, let alone surf the web.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-02-2015, 03:31 PM
(01-02-2015 01:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Why? My car has hands free. My phone can be inside my purse and I can still get calls. I push a button on my steering wheel, I don't even have to take my eyes off the road.

How is that any different than having a passenger in the car?

If anything it's less distracting than my mother in law sitting beside me -- that woman NEVER shuts up for a second.

One of my friends has one of those DVD things in her van, her kids are little -- they take longer trips to visit her parents each week. Kids can watch spongebob or whatever with headphones on and she gets a nice quiet drive. It's not a distraction for her, since it's behind her...

She absolutely loves it!

They actually make then so the driver can see the DVD? That's a bit crazy sounding to me.

I think there are many different things that can distract people and up until now, sadly, there is no technological way to shut up annoying mother in laws.

Im sure you would agree that the least distractions whilst driving the better. I see no harm in disabling your phone whilst driving as it is a distraction. Want to use the phone then stop, pull up and get out.

Cool

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
01-02-2015, 05:00 PM
(01-02-2015 03:31 PM)bemore Wrote:  I think there are many different things that can distract people and up until now, sadly, there is no technological way to shut up annoying mother in laws.

Im sure you would agree that the least distractions whilst driving the better. I see no harm in disabling your phone whilst driving as it is a distraction. Want to use the phone then stop, pull up and get out.

Cool

*mothers-in-law

There are some distractions we can't affect much but let's address the ones we can, like cell phones.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
01-02-2015, 05:11 PM
(01-02-2015 05:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  There are some distractions we can't affect much but let's address the ones we can, like cell phones.

But, Chas, what about MUH FREEDOMS?

How dare anyone tell me I can't endanger others...

... this is my signature!