Baptist poster-too funny

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Baptist poster-too funny
Not an issue but had to share it. It is letting the public know of a special speaker coming, including date and time. Now here's the clincher "Atheists and Skeptics are Welcome". Think about it. Who's going to go thinking it's for atheists and skeptics and atheists and skeptics won't go because we know it's about trying to change our minds.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 09:02 PM
RE: Baptist poster-too funny
(05-05-2015 07:25 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Not an issue but had to share it. It is letting the public know of a special speaker coming, including date and time. Now here's the clincher "Atheists and Skeptics are Welcome". Think about it. Who's going to go thinking it's for atheists and skeptics and atheists and skeptics won't go because we know it's about trying to change our minds.

I'd go just to argue with the guy.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
05-05-2015, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 09:47 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
It'd be pretty cool if more atheists showed up than believers to shitbomb the event. Hard questions + video+ youtube upload +? = profit!
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-05-2015, 02:11 AM
Not going as the hand will be out for money.
07-05-2015, 03:55 AM
(05-05-2015 07:25 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Not an issue

So why post in this moderated section?

Thread moved.

07-05-2015, 07:13 AM
Depending on how it was billed, and even knowing that he was trying to change my mind, I might just go to see if he could pull it off. Part of being secure in my position is being confident that it can't be legitimately assailed, and part of being confident (and having a position worthy of confidence) is putting it to the test again and again and again.

I guess it would depend how high my "can't deal with other peoples' bullshit" gauge was for that week.
07-05-2015, 07:52 AM
(07-05-2015 07:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Depending on how it was billed, and even knowing that he was trying to change my mind, I might just go to see if he could pull it off. Part of being secure in my position is being confident that it can't be legitimately assailed, and part of being confident (and having a position worthy of confidence) is putting it to the test again and again and again.

I guess it would depend how high my "can't deal with other peoples' bullshit" gauge was for that week.

Just a warning: the amount of bullshit you would deal with at one of those things would be "a lot".

I've never walked away from a religious conversation with a staunch Baptist thinking "Wow. We both learned a lot about how the other feels and still have respect for each other.". I've talked to a few that can remain polite for the most part, but there's always this smug condescension that I was never "really saved", and they then dismiss my entire point of view, saying that until I accept Jesus, I just won't "get it". That type of super special knowledge that know one else can understand is incredibly aggravating. That, and as far as impolite assholes go, the worst and least honest ones I've run into were Baptists.

Maybe I'm just cherry picking, but anecdotally, that correlation seems to run super high in my experience.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post