Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?
Living in Portlandia is funny. People around these parts don't know the first damn thing about how to barbecue. It's all gas grills. To me that's not barbecuing. Ya gotta have charcoals or wood chips or it ain't a barbecue. We're having ribs tonight since the weather is so wonderful. What's everyones favorite way to barbecue?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
19-04-2015, 05:57 PM
RE: Barbecue.... gas or charcoal?
George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine ... It draws out the fat but seals in the flavor!!!!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
19-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Depends. Charcoal if I have time, might even add wood chips to it if I'm grilling ribs or chicken. Short on time or starving - gas grill. If it's just hot dogs - gas grill, they're not worth the effort otherwise.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
19-04-2015, 06:24 PM
I don't like charcoal because I don't like the taste of lighter fluid. I simply can't eat the food if there is the slightest hint of it.

We have a gas grill but in the last couple of years my husband has started adding some charcoal to it. That seems to work fine. The charcoal burns just fine with it being started by the propane flame and is without the chemical taste. But there is a different flavor to the food when compared to propane alone, a good difference.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-04-2015, 06:30 PM
I use gas but prefer charcoal. Finally been able to use the Grill Grates I got for Christmas, they're fantastic, I fully recommend checking them out.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-04-2015, 06:32 PM
I don't grill for parties but for dinner and gas is so much faster. In fact it's faster than cooking indoors. And I agree with Anjele - I can't stand the taste of lighter fluid and I can always taste it.

You can add chips to a gas grill too... And I do. I also like to grill on wood planks...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-04-2015, 06:53 PM
(19-04-2015 06:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't like charcoal because I don't like the taste of lighter fluid. I simply can't eat the food if there is the slightest hint of it.

You can buy something to ignite the charcoal without lighter fluid. It's more or less a metal tube with handle and and a bottom in which you stuff & light paper. I can't remember what it's called.
19-04-2015, 06:55 PM
(19-04-2015 06:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't grill for parties but for dinner and gas is so much faster. In fact it's faster than cooking indoors. And I agree with Anjele - I can't stand the taste of lighter fluid and I can always taste it.

You can add chips to a gas grill too... And I do. I also like to grill on wood planks...

Lighter fluid!?! I haven't used lighter fluid in 20 years. We always use a chimney with newspaper and charcoals shoved into this thingy and then light it with a match. It's great.

[Image: weber-chimney-starter.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Still takes forever to get charcoal to the right temperature.

I bet you would not use a charcoal grill for cooking a quick dinner every night. For me, it's an easy, quick and tasty way to eat only real (fresh) foods.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-04-2015, 07:07 PM
(19-04-2015 06:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [Image: weber-chimney-starter.jpg]

I kept thinking chimney.. But yeah love those things.